Unpopular opinion thread

Drunken Monk

dionbrother
On 6/16/2023 at 9:36 AM, HeavenSword said:

Honestly, I thought Cheung Kwok Leung had the best fights in the Tiger Cage series. Dude was nice ! Are there anymore movies with him as the lead or showing off some moves ?

I've heard he's Sam Hui's fight double in DRAGON FROM RUSSIA. If true, that's probably the best showcase for his moves.

• Like 2

ChillyChong

Heart of dragon is awful movie. Last ~40 mins has some quality action but before get that far viewer needs to be convinced for good Big Dummy is retard through several scenes. Almost nothing interesting happens in first hour. To get-rid-of-pile 88 BR goes, chases and fights near end of movie are good but I do not watch clips but whole movie when revisit and nothing can make me see Heart of dragon ever again...Final argh was during end credits, got almost shocked when Big Dummy was in bathtub ass facing the sky:sweating:sad...well, dragons forever, project a and wheels on meals are great movies with jackie&samo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Some more from me

- Part of being a kung fu/hk action movie fan involves sitting through a lot of downright bad film making in order to get to the gold. Even most of the certified kung fu "classics" have pointless side plots, jarring tone shifts and overly long comedic routines that you kind of have to put up with if you want to experience the true moments of genius. Most of the time when I read of negative reviews of my favourite kung fu movies I kind of understand where they are coming from, either you are drawn to the unique charm of the genre or you aren't.

- The Lucky Stars crew are actually genuinely funny when the scenes don't involve them being horny creeps trying to harass women. If you cut those scenes from the Lucky Stars movies they would be so much better.

- Crouching Tiger has better use of wirework than pretty much every 90s new wave wuxia film.

- Jet & Donnie's fight in Hero is significantly better than the one in Once Upon a A Time in China 2, i don't even think its close.

- The grappling/wrestling portion of the end fight of SPL was not well executed and looked pretty bad at times. For me it was a shame because those opening kickboxing exchanges were glorious. Donnie still hasn't totally figured out how to make BJJ/wrestling look great on film in my opinion (to be fair I don't think anyone else has either), though he came closer in Special ID. My favourite "grappling" fight scene was the deleted Chin Na scene from Project A.

Edited by AbeRudder
  • Like 3

PandaPawPaw
On 1/3/2023 at 12:39 PM, NinjaX said:

I don't like Fist Of Legend. There's something about Jet Li that i don't like, but i'm not quite sure what it is.

I find him a bit boring. He's been in good films but he isn't that interesting I find.

I liked him in Danny the Dog though. Good to see him do something a bit different.

The Untold Story is utter shit. Wong is annoying. The joke about Danny and his HOs gets old quick. The bellend police characters are all fucking dumb. Crap fake looking effects.

I hated it.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk
7 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

The Untold Story is utter shit. Wong is annoying. The joke about Danny and his HOs gets old quick. The bellend police characters are all fucking dumb. Crap fake looking effects.

I hated it.

I don’t like it as much as most either. Which I weird because I adore Ebola Syndrome. I like the dark, fucked up stuff in The Untold Story but the jarring tonal shifts and daft comedy put me off quite a bit.

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw
11 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I don’t like it as much as most either. Which I weird because I adore Ebola Syndrome. I like the dark, fucked up stuff in The Untold Story but the jarring tonal shifts and daft comedy put me off quite a bit.

I actually wanted to watch ES for a while but TUS put me off it. They seem like similar films but as TUS left a bad taste in my mouth (no pun intended), I'm reluctant to try ES.

Edited by PandaPawPaw

Drunken Monk
1 hour ago, PandaPawPaw said:

I actually wanted to watch ES for a while but TUS put me off it. They seem like similar films but as TUS left a bad taste in my mouth (no pun intended), I'm reluctant to try ES.

Ebola Syndrome is much more offensive, in my opinion, but the comedy is less wacky.

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw
12 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Ebola Syndrome is much more offensive, in my opinion, but the comedy is less wacky.

I might give it go then. :)

I don't get the love Donnie Yen has for Mike Tyson. He's a POS convicted rapist. In fact I don't get how he still has a career!

I hated how Shawn Yue and Edison Chen were chosen as a young Tony Leung/Andy Lau in Infernal Affairs. At least get someone who looks vaguely similar. It spoils the movies.

4 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

I don't get the love Donnie Yen has for Mike Tyson. He's a POS convicted rapist. In fact I don't get how he still has a career!

That's the way I see it... You can have respect for certain celebrities for what they are famous for, and still overlook/or dislike them for their personalities and their infamy outside of their fame. Donnie was a huge boxing fan growing up in the States and watching the sport in his 20s and early 30s (not sure if he still follows the boxing world), and looks up to legends like Muhammed Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard (the wind-up punches he does in some of his movies came from Leonard), and Mike Tyson. I believe Donnie's admiration of Tyson is his boxing abilities and the way he was in the ring, nothing else.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, DiP said:

That's the way I see it... You can have respect from certain celebrities for what they are famous for, and still overlook/or dislike them for their personalities and their infamy outside of their fame. Donnie was a huge boxing fan growing up in the States and watching the sport in his 20s and early 30s (not sure if he still follows the boxing world), and looks up to legends like Muhammed Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard (the wind-up punches he does in some of his movies came from Leonard), and Mike Tyson. I believe Donnie's admiration of Tyson is for his boxing abilities and the way he was in the ring, nothing else.

They're already trying to slander & cancel Donnie because of his support of the police during the HK riots and rejection of the umbrella movement. The same with Jackie with his support of the Chinese government. Both are proud Chinese and admit it & that rankles some the wrong way if it doesn't line up with their Sinophobia & the falun gong clowns (research their deep ties to Western Intelligence) always use any opportunity to bring these two down.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

I'm not trying to be controversial here but some people may forgive Tyson because, in the eyes of the law, he served his time. He committed a crime, got punished and, from the looks of things, may have become somewhat of a new man. I think a lot of people believe in second chances and rehabilitation.

Also, Tyson was imprisoned at a time where tempers weren't really that flared over these things. Not compared to now anyway. Basically, cancel culture didn't really exist back then. If he'd have raped someone in 2023, he'd be fucked.

2 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I'm not trying to be controversial here but some people may forgive Tyson because, in the eyes of the law, he served his time. He committed a crime, got punished and, from the looks of things, may have become somewhat of a new man. I think a lot of people believe in second chances and rehabilitation.

Also, Tyson was imprisoned at a time where tempers weren't really that flared over these things. Not compared to now anyway. Basically, cancel culture didn't really exist back then. If he'd have raped someone in 2023, he'd be fucked.

That's how I see it. The death of Cus D'Amato was just a hint of bad things to come which became a pattern when Tyson got into wild stuff during the early phase of his fame. Too much partying, drugs, booze, Don King and Robin Givens screwing Tyson mentally. Tyson admits that he's not proud of his younger days, and even prefers being the person he is now than the one he was back then.

36th Chamber of Shaolin is not one of my favorite SB movies by a long shot. It's overly long, light on action (I get that it's about the philosophical side of martial arts, hard work, etc, but let's be honest, pure entertainment was also part of its goal), and I think LKL's weapons choreography would get better later on. It looks too much like Lo Lieh is trying not to hurt Gordon Liu in that last scene, and vice versa. The first act before arriving at Shaolin drags on forever, and everything about the third act is rushed and clumsy (eg the way Gordon Liu snaps that guy he just met out of his alcoholism with a brief inspirational speech, etc).

The Hot, the Cool and The Vicious is a bit of a snoozefest other than two brief fight scenes.