Renny Harlin's Next 3 Chinese Movies: The Legend of the Ancient Sword, Bodies at Rest, & Operation Somalia

One Armed Boxer

2 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

I don't think I'm alone on Harlin, but he was nominated for a lot of awards!

The appearance of Cliffhanger on the Razzies is just as stupid as their nominating Ennio Morricone for Worst Score for John Carpenter's The Thing. And let's be honest, the Razzies tend to be more of an unpopularity contest and a kick-em-while-they're-down fest than a respectable measure of the worst movies. And I never said he never made awful movies, but I would never dismiss his entire career as awful.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

NoKUNGFUforYU
1 hour ago, DrNgor said:

The appearance of Cliffhanger on the Razzies is just as stupid as their nominating Ennio Morricone for Worst Score for John Carpenter's The Thing. And let's be honest, the Razzies tend to be more of an unpopularity contest and a kick-em-while-they're-down fest than a respectable measure of the worst movies. And I never said he never made awful movies, but I would never dismiss his entire career as awful.

I'm a huge Morricone fan. The Good the Bad and The Ugly soundtrack was a christmas gift when I was 9 years old back in 1968. That being said, the score from the Thing was a huge letdown. And I loved the Thing. I've watched plenty of Harlin's work, and he will try to make things go boom! and there's something to be said for that. 

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane

Don't get the hate for Harlin. He was was a solid director, but hating him became the thing to do by people who don't have opinions of their own.

Prison... fun but flawed 80's horror schlock.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master... the second best in the series after Dream Warriors.

The Adventures of Ford Fairlane... not personally a fan of Dice, but everything around him here is a fun R rated action comedy.

Die Hard 2... neck to neck with part 1 for me.

Cliffhanger... absolute action classic and Sly's comeback vehicle after his foray into comedies.

Cutthroat Island... has it faults, and overly ambitious, but unfairly maligned to the level it was. A fun swashbuckler if you cut it some slack.

The Long Kiss Goodnight... one of the most unique and best American action films of its decade.

Deep Blue Sea... a great wrap-up of the 90's creature feature boom.

Driven... don't like the main guy, but everything else is pretty compelling here.

After this I could take him or leave him, but that's still a pretty damn good resume.

• Like 3

On 6/3/2019 at 2:48 PM, whitesnake said:

Final(?) trailer for Bodies at Rest, since the movie opens in China on August 15.  Info and trailer from https://cityonfire.com/nick-cheung-dies-hard-with-renny-harlin-for-witness/  

I saw this in the theaters before the Covid lockdown and it was pretty bad. What a waste of Nick Cheung and Richie Jen. In fact, the only redeeming thing about this film for me was the OST sung by Richie Jen w/ MC Jin and the female actress whose name elude me right now.

• Like 4

One Armed Boxer
On 11/23/2020 at 2:57 PM, Yihetuan said:

I saw this in the theaters before the Covid lockdown and it was pretty bad. What a waste of Nick Cheung and Richie Jen. In fact, the only redeeming thing about this film for me was the OST sung by Richie Jen w/ MC Jin and the female actress whose name elude me right now.

I got around to giving this one a watch recently, and definitely enjoyed it a lot more than you did (the actresses name is Yang Zi by the way). Not Harlin's best work, but anything he does in China is unlikely to be, it did hark back to his 90's glory days though, and for me that was enough. I gave it the full review treatment over at COF, check it out via the link - 

https://cityonfire.com/bodies-at-rest-2019-review-renny-harlin-nick-cheung/

• Like 3