Give me three Chang Cheh films

Iron_Leopard

I need your favorite Wang Yu, Iron Triangle, and Venoms film.

As of this moment mine are..

The Magnificent Trio

Five Shaolin Masters

Masked Avengers

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

Return of the One Armed Swordsman

Vengeance! (But honestly, Ti Lung is not really more than the driving factor here, so Have Sword, Will Travel is probably a better answer)

Five Venoms

1 hour ago, Killer Meteor said:

New One Armed Swordsman

The Duel

Crippled Avengers

New One Armed Swordsman is David I thought. Not Wang Yu. I haven't seen it yet so I'm not sure.

One Armed Boxer
5 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Not sure you read the rules :wink

@ShaOW!linDude suffers from a severe Jimmy Wang Yu allergy, which may explain the uncharacteristic oversight.  Still, that doesn't account for the lack of Iron Triangle goodness.:tongueout

One Armed Boxer
5 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Do a lot of people not like Wang Yu? It seems so but why?

Our man Jimmy is the Vegemite of the kung-fu movie world, he's an acquired taste.

Personally I'm a fan (you can probably tell from the name), but for his detractors it seems to pretty much always boil down to the perception that he's all about the flailing arms (perhaps that's why his most well remembered movies have him missing one), and little else.

While his overall filmography is hit and miss, at least from my perspective it contains its fair share of classics.  From his early swordsplay flicks at Shaw Brothers, to his seminal work 'The Chinese Boxer' (which essentially kicked off the empty handed kung-fu boom), through to his goofy Taiwanese classics like 'Master of the Flying Guillotine' and 'Knight Errant'.  That's not even mentioning his cool little one-offs like the spy flick 'Asia-pol', and his battle epic 'Beach of the War Gods'.  There's plenty more.

TibetanWhiteCrane

To me, Jimmy is like Chuck Norris... well, 80's Chuck Norris. Most likely a dick bag in his real life, and I really can't say what it is I'm drawn to, but I'm drawn.

One-Armed Swordsman

The Anonymous Heroes

Crippled Avengers

The Assassin

Shaolin Temple (Like 5SM, it have Chang Cheh with his 2 sets of "Iron Triangle" Teams - his "Golden" Iron Triangle team of Ti Lung & David Chiang & his "Silver" Iron Triangle team of Fu Sheng & Chi Kuan-chun).

Cripple Avengers

ShaOW!linDude
18 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Not sure you read the rules :wink

Doh! My bad. All I saw was the thread title, which only mentioned Chang Cheh films.

13 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

@ShaOW!linDude suffers from a severe Jimmy Wang Yu allergy, which may explain the uncharacteristic oversight. 

Yeah, that's what it was. :tongueout

20 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Marco Polo

The Magnificent Ruffians

Five Element Ninjas

I know I am opening a can of worms but I don't' consider Five Elements Ninjas a Venoms movie.  Just my opinion.

Wang Yu:  The Twin Swords

Iron Triangle: Vengeance!

Venoms: Flag of Iron

TibetanWhiteCrane

You're right, it's not. I remember the unwritten rule back in the day was three of the five main guys had to be in it for it to be called a Venoms movie. Not sure I agree with that either, but just having Lo Meng and baby Venoms.... I def don't feel that qualifies.

ShaOW!linDude
57 minutes ago, LuFengLover said:

I know I am opening a can of worms but I don't' consider Five Elements Ninjas a Venoms movie.  Just my opinion.

Honestly, I'm not a big Shaw Bros. or Venoms fan, and I have no earthly idea what films constitute any of the Iron Triangle movies. Of Chang Cheh's filmography, I just like those best. Methinks I should read more comments and post fewer of them. I am clearly out of my element here. :sweating

1 minute ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Honestly, I'm not a big Shaw Bros. or Venoms fan, and I have no earthly idea what films constitute any of the Iron Triangle movies. Methinks I should read more comments and post fewer of them. I am clearly out of my element here. :sweating

I wasn't trying to slight you in any way. Many people consider Five Element Ninjas a Venoms film.  I am just not one of them.  I guess I have different criteria than everyone else. Keep posting.  You are a valued member of the forum.

ShaOW!linDude
10 minutes ago, LuFengLover said:

I wasn't trying to slight you in any way...Keep posting.  You are a valued member of the forum.

No slight taken. And thank you, I appreciate that. The admonition was purely for my own benefit. I don't like when folks post regarding topics they don't know a lot about, and I obviously did that, putting my foot in my mouth in this instance. I am good to go.

Wang Yu: The One-Armed Swordsman (1967)

Iron Triangle: The New One-Armed Swordsman (1971)

Venoms: Masked Avengers (1981)

On 12/29/2017 at 4:07 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

Our man Jimmy is the Vegemite of the kung-fu movie world, he's an acquired taste.

Personally I'm a fan (you can probably tell from the name), but for his detractors it seems to pretty much always boil down to the perception that he's all about the flailing arms (perhaps that's why his most well remembered movies have him missing one), and little else.

While his overall filmography is hit and miss, at least from my perspective it contains its fair share of classics.  From his early swordsplay flicks at Shaw Brothers, to his seminal work 'The Chinese Boxer' (which essentially kicked off the empty handed kung-fu boom), through to his goofy Taiwanese classics like 'Master of the Flying Guillotine' and 'Knight Errant'.  That's not even mentioning his cool little one-offs like the spy flick 'Asia-pol', and his battle epic 'Beach of the War Gods'.  There's plenty more.

Well-said! I haven't seen many of his films, but I like the ones I've seen (i.e. the first two One Armed Swordsman movies, The Man From Hong Kong, and The Master of the Flying Guillotine).

On 12/28/2017 at 9:28 AM, Iron_Leopard said:

I need your favorite Wang Yu, Iron Triangle, and Venoms film.

Wang Yu -One Armed Swordsman

Iron Triangle -Blood Brothers

Venoms -Wu Du (FIve Venoms)

Archived