Rumble in 2018: What Movies are You Looking Forward to?

DragonClaws

Which movies are you looking forward to the most next year?. While, The Foreigner has reached most audiences, it’s still on, my to watch list, so that one title that springs to mind. Just another three months for the U.K DVD release. Then there's Jesse V.Johnson's Triple Threat, and Accident Man, both featuring British action star Scott Adkins. Pro-Wrestler turned actor the Stu Bennets Vengeance, looks really good, with Bri-Kikcing legend Gary Daniels.  Kill Order a.k.a Meza, with Chris Mark and Alain Moussi, also looks like one to keep an eye on. Not forgetting Moussi Kikcboxer sequel, that due out early next year. Van Damme's Black Water, re-teaming him with Dolph Lundgren, also looks like it could be a lot of fun. Sure there's a few I've forgotten about. Sadly, there are no 2018 Asian related releases that have got my really hyped up, let’s hope that changes in the soon to be New Year.

So whats on your radar for 2018?.

Approach with caution, stars Tiger Hu Chen, Iko Uwais, and Tony Jaa,

maxresdefault.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking forward to three upcoming Max Zhang movies: "The Brink", "Invincible Dragon" and the "Ip Man" spin-off.

I'm also looking forward to "Kung Fu League". Vincent Zhao, Dennis To, Andy On, Bruce Leung, Leung Kar Yan... This could really be something special. It's go Tony Leung Siu-Hung on choreography duties and he's been pretty solid recently.

I have my fingers crossed for "Triple Threat" but I'm not getting too excited because the first trailer did nothing for me.

After seeing the trailer for "Buy Bust", I'm sold. As long as it has some solid martial arts action in it, I'll be looking forward to it. The trailer showed some really solid film making.

And finally, I really hoping "Jailbreak" gets a US release. I'm itching to see this one.

7 minutes ago, DiP said:

So far I'm looking forward to Buy Bust, Big Brother (Donnie Yen), and Breach (Mark Dacascos).

I forgot about "Big Brother". Good call.

2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

"Invincible Dragon"

Seems like it taken forever for this one to get a release.

2 hours ago, DiP said:

Breach (Mark Dacascos)

One I'd have mentioned, had I not forgot about it.

There's a lot of projects set for a release next year, so knowone can turn round and say the genres dead. Even if it's not going through it's peak years at the moment.

13 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Is "Enter the Fat Dragon" out in 2018 too? Granted, I'm skeptical about this one...but I'm intrigued.

This is what @DiP had to say about it, in the movies thread.

Shooting commenced yesterday in Hong Kong. However, Donnie and few other principal castmembers --- actresses Teresa Mo, Sandra Ng, and Niki Chow --- were not present on the set. Donnie just came back from vacation to continue shooting Big Brother.

I keep coming back to this bloody thread. I'm actually interested in "Bleeding Steel" too. It looks like a nice throwback to 90's Hong Kong cinema. Big, goofy fun. How much martial arts it'll have in it, I'm not quite sure.

29 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I keep coming back to this bloody thread. I'm actually interested in "Bleeding Steel" too. It looks like a nice throwback to 90's Hong Kong cinema. Big, goofy fun. How much martial arts it'll have in it, I'm not quite sure.

Unless its been pushed back, the film was set for a December 22nd 2017 release, Im guessing in China?.

It certainly looks a lot different from Skiptrace, Kung Fu Yoga and Railroad Tigers, hopefully it's different in a positive way.

1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

Is "Enter the Fat Dragon" out in 2018 too? Granted, I'm skeptical about this one...but I'm intrigued.

I don't have any expeditions at all, but at the same time I still wanna see how Donnie will perform and stage the action. Something tells me that it's a Lunar New Year movie so release date should be in early February of 2019.

21 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Unless its been pushed back, the film was set for a December 22nd 2017 release, Im guessing in China?.

It certainly looks a lot different from Skiptrace, Kung Fu Yoga and Railroad Tigers, hopefully it's different in a positive way.

I think it did get a release. I just read a review that contained this little humdinger...

Short on action, humour or logic, Bleeding Steel is incoherent from the get-go, with all the narrative clarity of an excitable toddler. Chan’s stand-off with Tess Haubrich’s deadly henchwoman on the roof of the Sydney Opera House should have been a memorable action set-piece, but falls flat, thanks to bland choreography and Leo Zhang Lijia’s disinterested direction.

Brink, Triple Threat, Accident Man and, hopefully Jailbreak. Not much to say the least... If not for Scott Adkins, MA movie scene would be pretty much dead...

15 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Short on action, humour or logic, Bleeding Steel is incoherent from the get-go, with all the narrative clarity of an excitable toddler. Chan’s stand-off with Tess Haubrich’s deadly henchwoman on the roof of the Sydney Opera House should have been a memorable action set-piece, but falls flat, thanks to bland choreography and Leo Zhang Lijia’s disinterested direction.

Oh well, we can hope it was either a clueless or grumpy reviewer, though it doesnt sound very promising. I'll wait untl I start hearing what fans here think of the movie.

14 hours ago, D1 Ma said:

Brink, Triple Threat, Accident Man and, hopefully Jailbreak. Not much to say the least... If not for Scott Adkins, MA movie scene would be pretty much dead...

Next year might just be the stars busiest to date?.

There are 5(!) Adkins' movies listed on Imdb for 2018.

Not all of his movies are good films per se,(far from it, actually) but as far as fight scenes go, the man (almost) always delivers. And he works non-stop, just like a HK star from the 80s :)  Gotta respect him for that

Sometimes I think, that if he was living in the 90s, when MA action movies were mainstream, he'd be bigger than Van Damme, Seagal or Norris.

Kickboxer retaliation looks brilliant

Wolf warriors two as well not seen yet but also looks excellent

Triple threat.

Not keen on wire-fu and cgi. They look best to me.

On 28/12/2017 at 11:58 PM, D1 Ma said:

Not all of his movies are good films per se,(far from it, actually) but as far as fight scenes go, the man (almost) always delivers. And he works non-stop, just like a HK star from the 80s :)  Gotta respect him for that

True, I just watched Eliminators for the first time last night, and really enjoyed it. My girlfriend even said it was much better, than most of the Martial Arts movies I watch.

On 28/12/2017 at 11:58 PM, D1 Ma said:

Sometimes I think, that if he was living in the 90s, when MA action movies were mainstream, he'd be bigger than Van Damme, Seagal or Norris.

Or a very big straight to video star at least, back when rental shops were booming in the U.S/U.K.

On 27/12/2017 at 2:53 PM, Drunken Monk said:

I'm also looking forward to "Kung Fu League". Vincent Zhao, Dennis To, Andy On, Bruce Leung, Leung Kar Yan... This could really be something special. It's go Tony Leung Siu-Hung on choreography duties and he's been pretty solid recently.

This is probably the movie I'm most looking forward to. I hope it delivers on its premise.

On 31/12/2017 at 5:11 PM, DrNgor said:

This is probably the movie I'm most looking forward to. I hope it delivers on its premise.

Any other titles that have sparked your interest dude?.

On 12/28/2017 at 5:58 PM, D1 Ma said:

He's actually 41 but was only doing spots on TV shows in the late 90's. His first big movie wasn't until Extreme Challenge in 2001 so he was overlooked.

Some-how managed to miss this title, off my list of my I'm looking forward to this year. A Chinese production, that appears to want to be like a Hollywood comedy. It's a real shame mainland Chinese movies, want to be so much like their U.S counterparts. Guess they know their audiences better than anyone, and this must be what the Chinese public now wants?.

I'm not sure what the girl on the far left is doing with her hand, behind Tyson's back?.

tyson.jpg

The Ip Man spinoff - title Cheung Tin-Chi (update - latest title is Master Z: Ipman Legacy) - because the cast also includes Tony Jaa, Michelle Yeoh, and Dave Bautista.  I like historical fantasy adventure, so hope to see Detective Dee: The Four Heavenly Kings and Dynasty Warriors.  Also The Great Detective.   And if they get released this year:  Ip Man 4 and Wolf Warrior 3.

3 hours ago, whitesnake said:

The Ip Man spinoff - title Cheung Tin-Chi - because the cast also includes Tony Jaa, Michelle Yeoh, and Dave Bautista.

I'd forgotten about this one @whitesnake, Dave Bautista's really taken to the action genre.

He also starring in Final Score, alongside Pierce Brosnan, Martyn Ford and Ray Stevenson. I dont know mch about this one, but it sounds more like a sraight up action movie.

23 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Mike Tyson's certainly found his (unfortunate) niche.

Yeah, I thought China Saleman looked poor, but Girls VS Gangsters looks even worse, if thats possible.

Well, I had 4 movies on my "most wanted" list and just two months into the year, I've already watched 3 of them.

And I gotta say, I was disappointed by all of them.

Accident Man was a decent movie overall but was seriously lacking in the fighting department. (My main complain is choreo. Tim Man really surprised me here, not in a good way)

Jailbreak had plenty of fights, (mostly large crowd brawls), but bad directing, bad plot and the whole mood of the movie just ruined it for me

and The Brink was just horrible. One good sequence and one decent fight couldn't save this ridiculous borefest. It had it's speckles of good, though( seeing Tai Bo was the best thing about the movie). I'm probably gonna be in minority on this one, but hey - some people are excited about new Mark Dacascos  or Don Wilson movies. (I mean, Really?!)

So, Triple Threat is my last hope...

Archived