Along With The Gods: The Two Worlds (2017) & The Last 49 Days (2018)

thekfc

Currently playing in selected theaters in the USA via Well Go USA.

Starring HA Jung-woo (Berlin Files, Assassination, The Tunnel, The Handmaiden), LEE Jung-Jae (Assassination, New World, The Thieves, Operation Chromite), Don LEE aka Ma Dong-seok (Train to Busan, Veteran, The Flu), Cha Tae-hyun ( My Sassy Girl).

Directed by Kim Yong-hwa (200 Pounds Beauty, Take Off, Mr. Go).

• Like 4

Along With the Gods: The Two Worlds gets a Blu-ray and DVD release from Well Go USA on April 10th.  I was told that the limited theatrical release of this movie on December 22nd was for Part 1 only.  So I assume that the home entertainment release on April 10 will also be for Part 1, and that the release of Part 2 will follow later. 

News source - https://videoeta.com/items/199722-along-with-the-gods:-the-two-worlds

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 3

One Armed Boxer
5 hours ago, whitesnake said:

I was told that the limited theatrical release of this movie on December 22nd was for Part 1 only.  So I assume that the home entertainment release on April 10 will also be for Part 1, and that the release of Part 2 will follow later. 

Yeah that's correct, Part 2 hasn't even been released in Korea yet. Surprisingly many of WellGo's Korean releases on DVD & Blu-ray hit the shelves before their Korean counterparts.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. It's been a long time since Korea attempted a pure fantasy flick, but considering webtoon adaptions are all the rage at the moment, its creation definitely isn't a surprise.

• Like 2

Wikipedia says that Along With the Gods Part 2 gets released theatrically in summer 2018.  It looks interesting to me.  The trailer for Part 1 includes a journey through seven trials and an endless series of hells, judges in ancient costume, something that looks like a tree demon, a hell ghoul, and various beings armed with staffs, swords and spears.

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer

As the #metoo movement continues to rip through the Korean film industry with devastating consequences (actor Jo Min-ki committed suicide this morning after professing his guilt, and I have a feeling he won't be the last), the latest actor to confess his wrong doings is, perhaps most disappointingly, Oh Dal-soo.  As a result, the second installment of 'Along With the Gods' will be delayed, as Lotte Entertainment has confirmed they will edit him out of the already completed film, and re-shoot his relatively minor scenes with a new actor (currently to be announced).

• Like 4

The poster for Along With the Gods: The Last 49 Days has now shown up on http://www.wellgousa.com/coming-soon   This is the sequel to The Two Worlds - "The story of the continued trials of life after death".  In the cast, Oh Dal-soo and Choi Il-hwa (both having been accused of sexual harassment) are being replaced by Jo Han-chul (The Wailing) and Kim Myung-gon (The Admiral, Steel Rain).  The rest of the cast includes  Ha Jung-woo (Kundo: Age of the Rampant), Ma Dong-seok (Train to Busan), Lee Jung-jae (Assassination), Ju Ji-hun (Asura: The City of Madness), Kim Hyang-gi, and Lee Joon-hyeok (I Saw the Devil).  All of them were also in Along With the Gods: The Two Worlds.  Well Go USA gives Part 2 a limited theatrical North American release on August 1, 2018.  

Well Go USA has re-structured its webpage since I posted the news, and any reference to The Last 49 Days has vanished.  But I still assume there will be a limited theatrical release in North America in August. 

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 3

Finally, a trailer for the sequel,  Along with the Gods: The Last 49 Days.  News from cityonfire.com 

• Like 1

From http://filmcombatsyndicate.blogspot.com/2018/06/afterworld-saga-along-with-gods-is-in.html - "Hat tip over to Pierce Conran at Modern Korean Cinema who brings word that two more films will shoot back-to-back next years [2019] further encompassing Kim Yong-Hwa's Along With The Gods saga.  Cast and crew details remain pending while the new sequels will venture into prequel and spin-off territory based on Joo Ho-Min's 2010 webtoon series."

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
On 4/17/2018 at 2:13 AM, whitesnake said:

The poster for Along With the Gods: The Last 49 Days has now shown up on http://www.wellgousa.com/coming-soon 

I got through watching this one last night, definitely an improvement over 'The Two Worlds', which wasn't too shabby itself.  I gave it the full review treatment here - 

http://cityonfire.com/along-with-the-gods-the-last-49-days-2018-review/

• Like 5

I thoroughly enjoyed both movies, although I felt that the second movie felt a bit too drawn out. Would gladly purchase these two movies if I come across a deal.

• Like 2