SIX-STRING SAMURAI (1998)

daisho2004

Six-String Samurai:

Does anyone remember this movie, I cannot remember if I had seen it or not.

In 1957 the USSR bombs and assumes control of the U.S., and Las Vegas is the only safe haven of freedom. Forty years later, a rock musician/samurai is on an odyssey across the desert to replace the recently deceased Elvis as king of the neon city; challenging his quest is another guitar-slinger, Death (Gauger), and his cronies. Our hero Buddy (played by martial artist Falcon as a cross between Buddy Holly and Yojimbo) and his sidekick The Kid (McGuire) must face all the bad guys we've come to expect in a post-apocalyptic adventure. Filled with campy dialogue and well-staged Hong Kong-style action (directed by Falcon), basically all the makings of a good midnight movie, but it doesn't quite come together.

511T9NCPAHL._SS500_.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen it, I think it was some rich kid's college film project, it's actually well filmed and has it's moments, lots of music - guitar duels, not a whole lot of swordplay as I remember, the actor that plays the 6SS really sells it, worth a watch when your in the mood for something different.

odioustrident

Saw it years ago, but I remember it was a lot of fun for late night viewing. I think the hero is taking on different genres of music represented in the villains (definitely not sure about that), with the last guy looking a lot like Slash from Guns n Roses!

BlackLamaFaction

I agree with Daisho, the idea and concept was quite brilliant and original. The film was shot very stylized and had an interesting editing style. However I felt the film just failed to deliver in the writing and the action. But then again the film was more a comedy than an action film. It's still worth checking out.

I saw this and thought it was really cool. Love the cheesy dialoge and the main actor is a skilled martial artist for sure.

It really looked like a labor of love of those involved. I would have loved to see this movie with a modest budget!!

It's likeable and I respect the hell out of getting it made at all on the nothing budget it had - but it's kinda half-baked. The soundtrack by the Red Elvises is top notch, as is the cinematography - making it all the more of a letdown when it does come up quite light on action and heavy on the silly.

I know people who are all about this film, though. It's the epitome of "your mileage may vary." I can't hate a movie where Jeff Falcon takes out an entire army. I don't have it in me. If he's going to stay retired from film there's far worse films to go out on than this one.

It's likeable and I respect the hell out of getting it made at all on the nothing budget it had - but it's kinda half-baked. The soundtrack by the Red Elvises is top notch, as is the cinematography - making it all the more of a letdown when it does come up quite light on action and heavy on the silly.

I know people who are all about this film, though. It's the epitome of "your mileage may vary." I can't hate a movie where Jeff Falcon takes out an entire army. I don't have it in me. If he's going to stay retired from film there's far worse films to go out on than this one.

Very good points. I also wasn't thinking about the soundtrack but you are spot on!!

• Administrator

I saw this years ago, and was disappointed. The concept, and the fact that is starred Jeff Falcon- who I thought was brilliant in all the HK films he was in- totally grabbed me. But I was expecting to see some of Jeff's amazing kung fu skills, so it really fell flat for me.

A few years ago I saw it on DVD for $2.00 at a store that was closing, so I picked it up. I'll have to give it another try.

BTW, now we can actually start taking Gorhama's opinions seriously, as today is his birthday and he's no longer "just a stupid kid". Now he's a MAN! :xd: LOL Happy B-Day bro! :bigsmile:

1 hour ago, GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG said:

A real hoot.

Yes, it is.  Great title and very entertaining.  I showed it an one of my anime shows in the late 1990s, and everyone watching had a good time.  Oops, forgot to include this - 

2 hours ago, GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG said:

A real hoot.

Luved it.

There was an article about this movie, in the first Martial Arts magazine I purchased COMBAT. Don't ask how I recall that random and very useless fact. Kept my eyes open for the movies release, but I dont think it ever received a VHS/DVD release here. Maybe we'll get a BR release at somepoint?, though I'm not holding my breath.

MV5BMTIwMTIzMjA0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTg0

Justin Mcguire and Jeff Falcon in Six String Samurai(1998)

I remember talking to a friend about going to see Exit Wounds, which he was against because it had a scene in a strip club. So we went to Tower Records, where I ended up picking up the VHS for this film. We both loved it, but another friend of ours just didn't get it. 

One Armed Boxer
10 hours ago, DrNgor said:

I remember talking to a friend about going to see Exit Wounds, which he was against because it had a scene in a strip club.

& here I was thinking I'd heard every reason out there for not wanting to watch a movie...

3 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

& here I was thinking I'd heard every reason out there for not wanting to watch a movie...

We were very pure and childlike during that period...;)

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Six  String Samurai  

Image result for six string samurai

Did not find this in the search engine here.

How many of you have seen this surreal, wacky,  insane, mind blowing, unique, after the apocalypse,  rock and roll samurai movie?

As they used to say: its a gas man.

Saw this many year ago. Will watch it again soon.

YouTube has a pretty decent print.

Check it out you won't be disappointed.

Plus the action is superb.

GD Y-Y

NoKUNGFUforYU

Saw this on the big screen. His last film. I heard from some of my Wu Shu friends he was pretty arrogant, so he had trouble finding work after a certain point. Also, I imagine, there was not as much interest in those Gwai Lo bad guys, girls with guns movies by the 1990's. Fights are good, as you said. I don't think I watched it again, though.

Mike Leeder

Six String Samurai: Full Length Fan Film sequel

LAST VEGAS

20 years American Wushu maestro Jeff Falcon put down his sword, picked up a guitar and then picked up his sword again to battle his way to Lost Vegas to compete for the title of The King in SIX STRING SAMURAI

Now 20 years later a sequel set in that same world where the Soviet Union won the nuclear war, and music has become the only virtue. Rock’n’roll musician Cash and his fellow Wanderer travel to the final citadel of civilization — Last Vegas — where they hope to overthrow usurper king Jackson. And only Saint Elvis knows how many dangers await them along their way to the city From writer/director Dmitry Kornienko

Jeff was one of my first friends in Hong Kong, and sadly lost contact with him after the release of Six String, some say he still wanders the wasteland looking for every copy of Inspector Wears Skirts 2 to wipe it from existence, while others say he went back to Taiwan or might be back in the States.....wish you well wherever you are good sir!

#sixstringsamurai #jefffalcon #lostvegas #buddy #theking #rocknroll #roadmovie #postapocalypse #russianrocknrollradio

Now, that’s a name I’ve not heard in a long time! 😀 

it was a fun little flick. I may have it on dvd or vhs somewhere. 

Archived