Memoir of a Murderer (2016)

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

The latest movie from the director of 'The Suspect', Won Shin-yun's latest features Sul Kyung-gu as a former serial killer suffering from the early stages of Alzheimer's disease.  His fading memories coincide with a new spate of murders, leading him to question if there's a new killer on the loose, or has he reverted back to his old ways without being able to remember?  I checked this one out recently, and gave it a full review here - 

http://cityonfire.com/memoir-of-a-murderer-2016-review-korean-horror-won-shin-yun-well-go-usa/

Heropage-980x560_79.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

You know @One Armed Boxer, at first, each time I saw this title mentioned I wondered if it was possibly a remake of the excellent South Korean film MEMORIES OF MURDER (2003). I'm glad you address the title similarity in your review. And for those that haven't seen the film I mentioned, it's one of the best.

One Armed Boxer
2 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

You know @One Armed Boxer, at first, each time I saw this title mentioned I wondered if it was possibly a remake of the excellent South Korean film MEMORIES OF MURDER (2003). I'm glad you address the title similarity in your review. And for those that haven't seen the film I mentioned, it's one of the best.

An understandable assumption to make @KUNG FU BOB.  What's even more confusing, is that the Japanese remake of the Korean movie 'Confession of Murder', is called 'Memoirs of a Murderer'!

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

An understandable assumption to make @KUNG FU BOB.  What's even more confusing, is that the Japanese remake of the Korean movie 'Confession of Murder', is called 'Memoirs of a Murderer'!

Sorry to add to this confusing tangle of titles, but it's rumored that Benicio Del Torro's autobiography will be called MEMOIRS OF A MUMBLER.

One Armed Boxer
1 hour ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Sorry to add to this confusing tangle of titles, but it's rumored that Benicio Del Torro's autobiography will be called MEMOIRS OF A MUMBLER.

You spelled Steven Seagal wrong.

Corrie (Pieces of Work Youtube Channel) lists Memoir of a Murderer as #3 on his list of top ten South Korean movies of 2017 (Youtube - "Top 10 Korean Films 2017").  Corrie says, "I really love South Korean thrillers, particularly ones that focus on serial killers.  This is one of the best South Korean serial killer movies ever made.  It's really good.  Really, really good."  I've used Corrie's recommendations of South Korean movies to buy some I wouldn't have considered otherwise. 

One Armed Boxer
On 12/21/2017 at 5:41 AM, KUNG FU BOB said:

Putting this on my "to watch" list.

The Korean Blu-ray will be hitting shelves on April 27th, and as well as the 118 minute Theatrical Cut, will also come with the Original Director's Cut, which includes an additional 10 minutes of footage.  While I wasn't the biggest fan of this one, I'd be curious to know if the Director's Cut improves it!

Capture.PNG

Archived