Rate my Shaw street cred

Iron_Leopard

These are all the Shaws I've seen so far. 

Chang Cheh:

Trail of the Broken Blade
The Magnificent Trio
The One Armed Swordsman
The Assassin
Golden Swallow
Return of the One Armed Swordsman 
Have Sword Will Travel
The Heroic Ones
The Deadly Duo
The Blood Brothers
Five Shaolin Masters
Heroes Two
Men From the Monastery 
Shaolin Temple
Five Deadly Venoms
Invincible Shaolin
Crippled Avengers
Ten Tigers of Kwangtung
Kid With the Golden Arm
Masked Avengers
Five Element Ninjas

Lau Kar-Leung:

Executioners from Shaolin
36th Chamber of Shaolin
Heroes of the East
Dirty Ho
Return to the 36th Chamber
Legendary Weapons of China
8 Diagram Pole Fighter
Disciples of the 36th Chamber

Chor Yuen:

Killer Clans
The Magic Blade
The Web of Death
Pursuit of Vengeance 
The Jade Tiger
The Sentimental Swordsman 
Death Duel
Swordsman and Enchantress 
Clan of Amazons
Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber 
Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber 2
Full Moon Scimitar

Other:

Come Drink With Me
The Lady Hermit
Clan of the White Lotus
The Avenging Eagle
The Kung Fu Instructor
Rendezvous With Death
Bastard Swordsman 
The Supreme Swordsman 
The Lady Assassin
Long Road to Gallantry 
Opium and the Kung Fu Master

So based on what I've seen so far. What rank am I in Shaw Brothers experience?

Rookie?
Novice?
Contender?
Champion?
Master?
Edited by Iron_Leopard
  • Like 3

With only 31 movies seen so far, I would say a rookie.

I grew up on Shaws and I have seen 100's of Shaws flicks (too many to count) but I woulds still consider myself a contender.

I have seen a huge amount from the early 70's on - Martial Arts, drama, horror, romance, comedy, opera, thriller, etc,. Sometime I try to see every movie made in a particular year as well as per actor/actress. Now, I am trying to catch up on the 50's & 60's movies.

My big regret is not collecting as much when I had the opportunity.

• Like 9

TibetanWhiteCrane

0-30=Rookie

30-50=Novice

50-100=Contender

100-200=Champion

All of them=Master

(Be advised that these rankings are not official)

Edited by TibetanWhiteCrane
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

0-30=Rookie

30-50=Novice

50-100=Contender

100-200=Champion

All of them=Master

(Be advised that these rankings are not official)

Then I would be somewhere between a Champion & Master as I have seen more than 200 (400?, 500?, 600? I have no idea, I just know that I have seen a load of Shaws) but not all. 

But with over 1000 Shaw brothers movies produced I would put that ranking number higher but if it's for Martial Arts movies only then that ranking would be fine.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, thekfc said:

With only 31 movies seen so far, I would say a rookie.

I grew up on Shaws and I have seen 100's of Shaws flicks (too many to count) but I woulds still consider myself a contender.

I have seen a huge amount from the early 70's on - Martial Arts, drama, horror, romance, comedy, opera, thriller, etc,. Sometime I try to see every movie made in a particular year as well as per actor/actress. Now, I am trying to catch up on the 50's & 60's movies.

My big regret is not collecting as much when I had the opportunity.

Well the main reason I haven't seen more was when I started getting into these movies  (around 2002) there weren't a lot available on dvd yet. Just the horrible quality versions that were released in the yellow box case with the red font (forgot which company was releasing these). Them Dragon Dynasty came along and I started seeing more. 

But it was only recently that I realized Amazon Video had so many titles available for streaming. So I'm really about to get caught up on my Shaws and see a bunch that I've always wanted to see.

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane

No need to explain, we all have our own path. Though 2002 was the year the Celestial remasters started coming out (I think), did you never get on those?

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

No need to explain, we all have our own path. Though 2002 was the year the Celestial remasters started coming out (I think), did you never get on those?

I guess I wasn't doing my research at the time on the Celestial remasters. 

Cause one time I ordered a dvd and it ended up being the wrong region. 

We're those available in Region 1 at the time?

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane

No, region 3, but I just assume everyone interested in world cinema would have a region free player. I never had one that wasn't. If I had to stick to region 2 releases I would have a tenth of what I have now.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

No, region 3, but I just assume everyone interested in world cinema would have a region free player. I never had one that wasn't. If I had to stick to region 2 releases I would have a tenth of what I have now.

I forgot to ask. You said I was still a rookie. Do I not get any bonus points for a lot of the titles being must sees?

• Like 4

On 12/19/2017 at 11:41 PM, Iron_Leopard said:

I forgot to ask. You said I was still a rookie. Do I not get any bonus points for a lot of the titles being must sees?

Must sees are just that! Any fan of the genre should see them at least once. Venturing beyond that scope and developing a passion is what is important to me.

• Like 6

On 12/19/2017 at 2:55 PM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Not every fan has a region free player.  I am in the market for one. Can you suggest one? At this point in time would you do a DVD player or a Blu Ray player?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

• Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane

Not into Blu myself, but if you are then by all means go for a Blu Ray player. I have trouble finding good region free DVD players nowadays when I need one, cuz it's basically old hat.

• Like 3

I do own 1 region free DVD player but since it's not working too well these days, I mostly watch non-region 2 DVDs on a computer (I mostly use VLC media player https://www.videolan.org/vlc/) sadly DVD disk drives are getting less common as standard on new computers. I'm thinking of buying another region free DVD player in the new year though. As for Blu Ray I don't have that many and region free players seem to go for twice as much as a standard player or more, so I don't think I'll be getting one anytime soon.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, LuFengLover said:

Not every fan has a region free player.  I am in the market for one. Can you suggest one? At this point in time would you do a DVD player or a Blu Ray player?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I would say go for the Blu-ray player.

Now many of the recent Blu-ray players on the market can have the DVD playing portion be made region free with a hack as well as some comes region free or the region can be switched or be made region free by simply going into the menu and changing a few settings.

However, if you plan on getting Blu-ray movies from different parts of the world, you may want to do your research on which Blu-ray player to buy as you would want a region free/multi-region Blu-ray player. The region coding on/for DVD players & Blu-ray players are different.

Just take your time, do a little reading and shop around as the prices are dropping.

• Like 4

Over the past few decades I must've seen well over 100 of the Shaw Brothers movies,  most of them at the Great Star Theater in San Francisco.  When the Celestial releases started, a store in S.F. Chinatown was selling them, both the Region 3 DVD's and the VCDs.  About that time someone broke into my house and stole my Region-free player along with a bunch of other stuff:-(  Since I'd just paid off the car, that freed up some money to buy all the Shaw Brothers VCDs that I'd already seen and had to have, or that sounded interesting.  I still haven't watched all of those VCDs yet.  The S.F. store is still open, and may still have a few Region 3's and VCDs in stock, but told me a couple of years ago it no longer does mail orders for the DVDs/VCDs.    

How can anyone watch all the Shaw Brothers movies?  So many haven't been released in any format or streaming.  

• Like 5

I've seen "Golden Swallow", "The Assassin", "Return of the One Armed Swordsman" and "The Heroic Ones" since I made the original post.

That puts me at 35. Surely I'm a novice now.

• Like 4

Iron_Leopard

List has been updated adding 15 more movies.

That puts me right at 50. I'm a novice now yay.

Edited by Iron_Leopard
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

List has been updated adding 15 more movies.

That puts me right at 50. I'm a novice now yay.

Mmmm...at only 50 Shaws seen, I'd rank you as still looking at ads in the newspaper for local Kung Fu classes. :yociexp21:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I was curious and did a count.

Going backwards from the year 2000 to 1970 (not counting anything after 2000 like Drunken Monkey or before 1970), I counted a total of 407 Shaws movies that I have seen movies ( I may have missed a few).

I am not only into action/Martial Arts but also heavily into drama & adding the movies from the '50 & 60's and that count would go up.

I have also seen some of their Huangmei opera from the 50's /60's as well as some of their musicals.

Earlier today I re-watched The Kingdom and the Beauty with Linda Lin Dai.

• Like 6

ShawAngela

Ok, I made my calculations.

I added all the titles I watched from any year, and any genre and also the Shaws' Malay movies I already watched (I may have forgotten several titles from this particular library), and...I don't dare to say that I watched 557 Shaws' movies, and some of them more than twice...

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 6

Chu Liu Hsiang

I'm not the make-a-list type in general but I got easily confused with the titles when I started watching, so I started one and continued it ever since, nowadays it adds up to 402 movies. Some I must have seen a dozen times by now.

On 6/7/2020 at 12:00 PM, ShawAngela said:

.I don't dare to say that I watched 557 Shaws' movies, and some of them more than twice...

SHIFU!!! *bows*

• Like 3

ShawAngela
12 minutes ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

Some I must have seen a dozen times by now.

You beat me there ! I watched several times some favorite movies of mine, but dozen times, not yet so far !!:bs_laughing:

• Like 3

On 6/7/2020 at 6:00 AM, ShawAngela said:

don't dare to say that I watched 557 Shaws' movies

600 by the end of the year? :bs_smile:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2