Stray Dogs & Lone Wolves book

Guest KClosson

Guest KClosson

I purchased Stray Dogs & Lone Wolves: The Samurai Film Handbook by Patrick Galloway last week. I have not read every page yet, but it is definitely a well written book. It reviews fifty movies in the samurai genre and gives background to each movie. Before it does that, the author goes over a little of the history of the samurai, what makes up the genre itself, as well as some of the major actors and directors.

The book is written more as an introduction to the genre, so it is more for the average person than someone who has seen most of the movies in the book. Part of the problem in the past is you had guys like Alain Silver or David Desser write these more scholarly books or articles that tended to be over the average person’s head. The other problem is a lot of the stuff on the internet is not that great either. This book fills in that gap and lays a good foundation for understanding these samurai or chambara movies.

So, it is a good book to have, or if you know someone that wants to get into these movies then this would be a good place to start.

The amazon link to the book:

www.amazon.com/exec/obido...s&n=507846

Patrick Galloway’s website:

cyberpat.com/samurai/

KC

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kungfusamurai

Great! I've been looking forward to a book that is a reference book of samurai films and gives descriptions of the films (and ratings). I would prefer one that is a more generic Japanese action cinema book - chambara, yakuza, and karate - but this is a start.

KFS

Guest Squid Lips

Nice book! I got it last week and it is an easy read with good info and pictures. Glad they are continuing to make books on such a great subject!

Archived