Corey Yuen

DrNgor

Super Ninja

If the likes of Soccer Killer are what he's up to these days, perhaps retiring is not such a bad idea. Say what you will about Birth of the Dragon but I'd rather watch it ten times in a row than rewatching SK.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

He's 70... maybe he just retired.

Yuen Woo Ping is 76 and he just continues working 🤷‍♂️

Anyway... Corey Yuen is currently working on Wong Jing's new movie Hit Team.

• Like 4

Omni Dragon
20 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

He's 70... maybe he just retired.

Lazy. :Ayociexp122:

People should really follow Run Run Shaw's example, he didn't properly retire from being TVB Chairman until he was 104.:Ayociexp120:

7 hours ago, DiP said:

Yuen Woo Ping is 76 and he just continues working 🤷‍♂️

Anyway... Corey Yuen is currently working on Wong Jing's new movie Hit Team.

Ah, well that's alright then. :BL-OK:

Spoiler

(This post is just a joke of course. I wouldn't really make it my place to say when people shouldn't retire.)

Edited by Omni Dragon
  • Like 3

Cognoscente

In Wong Jing's memoir, he referenced Corey Yuen when talking about My Father is a Hero. The context was the Chinese title - Letter to Dad: "At the time, everyone wanted me to change the title, but I insisted on it since it's the MacGuffin that drives the plot. The artistic title helps to emphasize that it is a drama where the focus is on the relationship between the boy and his parents. This is why I handed the director's chair to Corey Yuen because the film would be taken more seriously. I'm glad that the title remained because I think that it was the best script that Sandy Shaw ever wrote, even though I came up with the basic story."

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Corey Yuen Kwai has passed away at the age of 73. He died in 2022 but it was his family's wishes that it wasn't made public:

I think the Transporter was one of the first action films I ever saw, and I still think the first one stands up over twenty years later, especially the oil fight.

But I would have to say Righting Wrongs and Police Assassins is his best work, the end fight with Michelle Yeoh and Cynthia Rothrock is amazing.

Edited by SamSeed
  • Like 1
  • Sad 8

Josh Baker

Awful news, he was one of my favourite fight choreographers. 

I wonder what the delay was in announcing his passing?

In any case, may he R.I.P.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

An extraordinarily important force in HK film history.

So sad to read this.

He's left us with one hell of a legacy, that's for sure.

• Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Posted (edited)

I always wondered why we never heard anything from him after 2017 (apart from his involvement in a 2021 Wong Jing-produced action movie). One would've wondered whether or not he took a hiatus or retired. I was totally shocked to see the news of yesterday, but the biggest surprise being that it occured two years ago!

Despite my dislike of many of his output from the 2000s and onwards, there's no doubt that he has had a great deal of contribution to Hong Kong action cinema, especially in the 1980s and 1990s. RIP to one of the greats of Hong Kong action choreography 🙏💔

Edited by DiP
  • Like 5

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
His family's decision to withhold his death is strange indeed.

As others have said, Corey's contributions to Hong Kong cinema cannot be overstated. Besides acting in around 125 movies (the majority being action roles, including Bruce Lee movies) he often performed using his own hilariously dry persona in many character roles. He directed around 30 movies, and I can't even remember how many he did stunts in and/or directed the action choreography for. He studied at the same Peking Opera school as Yuen Biao, Jackie Chan, and Sammo Hung and was among the best students which were known as "The 7 Little Fortunes" of the opera troupe. Much like Sammo, he had a knack for making even non-martial artists look like killer fighters (SHE SHOOTS STRAIGHT, the RED CLIFF films). The first two movies I ever bought on DVD (I bought them at the same time) were Jackie Chan's MIRACLES and Corey Yuen's YES, MADAM (which features one of my favorite HK action scenes of all time). He was instrumental (along with Sammo) in making Biao a star with RIGHTING WRONGS, designed fight scenes for Hwang Jang-Lee, Stephen Chow, Andy Lau, Hugh Jackman, and the other X-Men stars, gave introductory star-making roles to Jean Claude VanDamme, Michelle Yeoh, and Cynthia Rothrock, made Jason Statham a bonafide action star with THE TRANSPORTER, brought Conan Lee and Hiroyuki Sanada together for the amazing NINJA IN THE DRAGON'S DEN, and became Jet Li's favorite choreographer with titles including both FONG SAI-YUK films, BODYGUARD FROM BEIJING, MY FATHER IS A HERO, KISS OF THE DRAGON, HIGH RISK, and many more. If you were to remove every film that he had something to do with (he also produced movies) from my cinema collection it would be dire indeed and leave a huge void where his magic had once been.

Corey Yuen Kwai, thanks for the amazing body of work which continues to thrill us.

May he rest in peace, and my deepest condolences to his family, friends, and fans.
  • Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 5

northern b
Posted (edited)

Some lovely tributes here - The KFF community always honours its heroes 🙏🏾

The immense List of films posted by @DrNgor that Corey Yuen was involved in contain some of my favourites, top tier level Kung Fu shapes movies with skilled practitioners  capable of long takes!

He deservedly also got to work on high profile big budget films and more kudos to him. These guys have made indelible changes to the approach of  action in movies.

Strong Kung Fu Bias in My Top 5

1976 Secret Rivals 

1977 Heroes of the Wild  

1979 Hellz Wind Staff 

1980 Ring of Death  

1980 The Buddha Assassinator 

These would make it if it was a top 7
 1981 Game of Death II 

1982 Ninja in the Dragon's Den 

Rest In Peace Corey Yuen  

Edited by northern b
  • Like 4

Besides Jackie, have any of the other Seven Fortunes expressed their thoughts on social media about Corey's passing?

• Like 2

De Ming Li

The family's decision is bizarre to say the least, though of course I won't judge too harshly (and hope nobody else does). I mean seriously though, even Setsuko Hara's death (despite living a hermit lifestyle for 50 years) and in a country with a very strong culture of privacy could only be withheld from the public for two and half months. Here we're talking two whole years!

Rest in peace Corey :monk_crying:

• Like 3