Top 10 Shaw Brothers actors of all time

Iron_Leopard

Thought this would be a good idea for a thread if it hasn't been done. 

Shaw Brothers experts please contribute.

Who do you think are the ten most famous and prolific actors in Shaws history?

Male actors only.

Lo Lieh, Ti Lung, David Chiang, Fu Sheng, Gordon Lui. Pretty sure these five would be on every ones list.

But who else?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yueh Hua, Liu Yung, Ku Feng, Ku Kuan Chung, Wong Chung, Wang Hsieh, Chen Hung Lieh, Ching Miao, Wang Yu, Kuo Chui

Maybe some of this list aren't so famous, but at least, they are prolific...

I cannot just do 10 - my list would be much longer. 

Fu Sheng, Lo Lieh, Ti Lung, David Chiang, Gordon Lui, Ku Feng, Yueh Hua, Wang Lung-wei, Chen Kuan Tai, Jason Pai Piao, Norman Chui, Fung Hak On, Jimmy Wang Yu, Anthony Lau Wing and "Pops" as he had many presence in front the camera.

TibetanWhiteCrane

What constitutes a "Shaw Brothers actor"? 

Any actor who has ever been in a Shaw flick? Those who made their name in Shaw productions? Those who's main output was Shaw films? Most actors who worked at Shaws went on to act in many other things since making their mark outside of the studio like Alex Man or Chin Siu Ho.... would they be Shaw actors?

Not trying to be difficult, just need to know the rules.

7 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

What constitutes a "Shaw Brothers actor"? 

Any actor who has ever been in a Shaw flick? Those who made their name in Shaw productions? Those who's main output was Shaw films? Most actors who worked at Shaws went on to act in many other things since making their mark outside of the studio like Alex Man or Chin Siu Ho.... would they be Shaw actors?

Not trying to be difficult, just need to know the rules.

I guess those who made their name in Shaw Productions.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Well, I can't really do a numerical ranking as such, or rattle off my ten faves. But here are some of them in no particular order.... not gonna be very revelatory and these are straight off the dome.

DAVID CHIANG: D. Chiang, the Davester... he's like Andy Lau for me, I can pretty much watch him in anything and will almost guaranteed enjoy it. I know he wasn't the most amazing screen fighter at Shaws, but he could hold his own (and for those that haven't seen him at peak performance, watch "The Loot" and "The Challenger") he had charisma, range and I just dig his vibe.

LAU KAR LEUNG: Pops if you will... ok, he wasn't a studio star as such, and more revered for his choreo and direction, but watching him do Kung Fu on screen is nothing short of a privilege. And whether he played the scowling villain, the stern master, the downtrodden underdog or whatevs, he commanded your full attention.

WANG LUNG WEI: Badguy extraordinaire, complete with moustache twirling and an evil cackle. I think this guy was the number one villain actor at Shaws. I know there's stiff competition, with the likes of Ku Feng, Lo Lieh etc. also doing their thing, but I just know I'm gonna enjoy him being a right heel as soon as he steps on the scene, and he brings the fighting skills as well.

GORDON LIU: Good ol' Gordo, a fellow ballhead and never shy about bringing the weapon skills and rapid handwork. He wasn't much of a high kicker or acrobat, but he did what he did well, and is who I think of when I think of the cinematic interpretation of a Shaolin monk.

LO LIEH: A veritable chameleon, who I can dig as the hero as much as the villain or whatever else he would play. Again, not a blazing screen fighting talent, though very proficient and a great actor which is where his real strength was. 

CHEN KUAN TAI: Another one that could play any part and always brought an authenticity to his fighting. He was great in the early years as playing cocky heroes or slower witted brawlers, but I mostly enjoyed him in master roles such as in "Challenge of the Master" the aptly named "The Master" or the dark side of the same coin in "Crippled Avengers".

My mind is tired now. I'll be back when I think of more.

7 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Well, I can't really do a numerical ranking as such, or rattle off my ten faves. But here are some of them in no particular order.... not gonna be very revelatory and these are straight off the dome.

DAVID CHIANG: D. Chiang, the Davester... he's like Andy Lau for me, I can pretty much watch him in anything and will almost guaranteed enjoy it. I know he wasn't the most amazing screen fighter at Shaws, but he could hold his own (and for those that haven't seen him at peak performance, watch "The Loot" and "The Challenger") he had charisma, range and I just dig his vibe.

LAU KAR LEUNG: Pops if you will... ok, he wasn't a studio star as such, and more revered for his choreo and direction, but watching him do Kung Fu on screen is nothing short of a privilege. And whether he played the scowling villain, the stern master, the downtrodden underdog or whatevs, he commanded your full attention.

WANG LUNG WEI: Badguy extraordinaire, complete with moustache twirling and an evil cackle. I think this guy was the number one villain actor at Shaws. I know there's stiff competition, with the likes of Ku Feng, Lo Lieh etc. also doing their thing, but I just know I'm gonna enjoy him being a right heel as soon as he steps on the scene, and he brings the fighting skills as well.

GORDON LIU: Good ol' Gordo, a fellow ballhead and never shy about bringing the weapon skills and rapid handwork. He wasn't much of a high kicker or acrobat, but he did what he did well, and is who I think of when I think of the cinematic interpretation of a Shaolin monk.

LO LIEH: A veritable chameleon, who I can dig as the hero as much as the villain or whatever else he would play. Again, not a blazing screen fighting talent, though very proficient and a great actor which is where his real strength was. 

CHEN KUAN TAI: Another one that could play any part and always brought an authenticity to his fighting. He was great in the early years as playing cocky heroes or slower witted brawlers, but I mostly enjoyed him in master roles such as in "Challenge of the Master" the aptly named "The Master" or the dark side of the same coin in "Crippled Avengers".

My mind is tired now. I'll be back when I think of more.

Great post. Jimmy Wang Yu has to be there also right? 

TibetanWhiteCrane

Jimmy will not make an appearance. It's not that I don't like him, though I'm not a huge fan. But I just don't associate him with Shaws that much, but way more for his GH and indie work.

CoolBlackKnight

A few here I love but know they aren't the "top 10 Shaw Brothers actors" per se, but I just love watching them in action:

GORDON LIU

LAU KAR LEUNG

Philip Kwok

PHILLIP KO FEI

Wang Lung Wei

Chiang Sheng

LO LIEH

Alexander Sheng Fu

David Chiang

Yasuaki Kurata

o-CHEERS-LEONARDO-DICAPRIO-570.jpg

• Ti Lung
  • David Chiang
  • Ku Feng
  • Lo Lieh
  • Chen Kuan Tai
  • Lau Kar Fai
  • Wong Chung
  • Wang Lung Wei
  • Yueh Hua
  • While he was never a first-billed star, I like Bruce Tong Yim Chaan

Chu Liu Hsiang

Some first row, some not. No specific order, apart from the one and only Ti Lung. Some 2nd row actors grew on me in specific roles, and then I'm just happy to see them in any movie (for example, Cheng Kang Yeh as Hsiao Mao in THE DUEL, Fan Mei Sheng's Black Wirlwind Li Kui in WATER MARGIN and ALL MEN ARE BROTHERS).

Ti Lung

David Chiang

Ku Feng

Yueh Hua

Lo Lieh

Leung Kar Yan (Beardy)

Fan Mei Sheng

Huang Chung Hsin (Wong Chung Shun)

Wang Kuang Yu

Cheng Kang Yeh

I could add to this list ad infinitum.

On 7/10/2019 at 11:30 AM, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

Wang Kuang Yu

I love this guy. That's too bad that he never had a real leading role, or if he had, such in Killers five, he was killed and didn't receive  the glory for his good actions...

On 7/10/2019 at 11:30 AM, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

Cheng Kang Yeh

Another one that I appreciate and who never got the chance to shine as the main character in a movie, at least in a Shaws' movie. I haven't watched all of his movies, so, maybe that he is the lead in one of them outside the Shaws'...

OpiumKungFuCracker

1. Fu Sheng

2. Gordon Liu

3. Chen Juan ti

4. To Lung

5. David Chiang

6. Lieh Lo

7. Cheng pie pei

8. Philip kwok

9. Lo Mang

10. Wang Lung wei

Chi Kuan Chun did not make into anyones list. Would be here tho, but he unfortunately got stuck into one director and one kind of role. Serious stoic hero he displays in chang chehs shaolin classics is easily enough to warrant place in my top10(not want to create list, about 6-7 easy to name but then gets tricky). Only in shaolin martial arts and magnificent wanderers he is allowed to show more diversity. While shaolin martial arts is again another revenge flick, tone of movie is far less serious than in others. Chi Kuan Chun and Fu Sheng are brilliant there.

There is nothing magnificent in Wanderers tho, it`s terrible movie which may be hard to believe when look at cast.

Leaving Shaws and starting to do indie kung fu was obviously very good move for Chi Kuan Chun..

Yes, Chi Kuan Chun is a really good one, but...only 10 names were allowed.

Chi Kuan Chun is one of my favourite actors too. Each time I think of him, I think " elegance "...

On 9/27/2019 at 1:19 AM, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Fu Sheng should be on everyone's #1 list. What's going on guys?

Maybe its that comedy thing I sometimes get really annoyed with in some of the films.  Not to say that it is his fault or that I am criticizing his acting or athleticism. If the list went to 15, he would be on it.

Iron_Leopard
2 minutes ago, morpheus said:

Maybe its that comedy thing I sometimes get really annoyed with in some of the films.  Not to say that it is his fault or that I am criticizing his acting or athleticism. If the list went to 15, he would be on it.

This happened to me recently when I was watching "The Deadly Breaking Sword". He was a bit much. Didn't ruin the movie but it would have been better without the comedy.

Iron_Leopard

Ok I'm finally ready to make this list. Here we go. No order.

1. Jimmy Wang Yu

2. Lo Lieh

3. Yueh Hua

4. Tien Feng 

5. Ku Feng

6. Ti Lung

7. David Chiang 

8. Norman Chu

9. Derek Yee

10. Alexander Fu Sheng

Damnit. I wanted to put Fan Mei on here so bad. @ShawAngela was right. 10 isn't enough lol.

TibetanWhiteCrane

I see I never really finished my list from 3 years ago and Jimmy has def earned his place on my list in that time, as has Yueh Hua. And I'd probably put Ku Feng on there as well. Not sure who would hold the last spot.

Archived