Kill Squad (1982) U.S Martial Arts Movie

DragonClaws

Are there any decent release of this movie knocking about, and is it worth picking up for fans of B-Moives?.

I made a search for this title before posting, but I was unable to find a thread for the film.

• Like 2

I remember watching this back in the day,but being from the U.K they would have cut the nunchucks out (didn’t know there was any in the film till I watched this trailer). This has peaked my interest so may have to hunt it down,thanks for this post👍

• Like 1

Definitely a B-movie fan delight. The plot involves former Vietnam vets who band together after their commander is crippled in an attack and his wife is killed. In an interesting move, a sniper arrives after the team goes into action and begins picking off the team one by one. Back in around 2003, I had the chance to speak with Jean Glaude, who played team leader Larry. Nice guy, he's a former Marine from New Orleans who was a martial artist and also a musician. Gary Fung, who plays team member Tommy, was the fight choreographer of the film. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, sym8 said:

I remember watching this back in the day,but being from the U.K they would have cut the nunchucks out

They may have cuts a out of other stuff too, while nunchuks were a big no no, back in the 70's they'd cut out other weapons and empty hand techniques, such as throat chops/ear claps.

2 hours ago, AlbertV said:

Definitely a B-movie fan delight. The plot involves former Vietnam vets who band together after their commander is crippled in an attack and his wife is killed. In an interesting move, a sniper arrives after the team goes into action and begins picking off the team one by one. Back in around 2003, I had the chance to speak with Jean Glaude, who played team leader Larry. Nice guy, he's a former Marine from New Orleans who was a martial artist and also a musician. Gary Fung, who plays team member Tommy, was the fight choreographer of the film. 

Thanks for the information dude.

We must have posted at the same time, as I didnt see your reply until after I'd replied to @sym8's post.

00113.jpg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

We must have posted at the same time, as I didnt see your reply until after I'd replied to @sym8's post.

That's exactly what happened :) I first saw the movie on Spike TV when the network launched and they would have "Manly Movie Nights", showing B-movie action pics and this was one of them and they even showed L.A. Street Fighters on the channel. I remember saying to myself, I have got to see this! The director, Patrick Donahue, was a former stuntman and his son Sean would go on to star in 90's B-movie films in the Philippines such as Blood Hands and Fighting Spirit.

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU

I did a stunt in the movie. One of my fellow students was Marc Sabin, the star in that movie. I throw a kick, Jean Claude kicks and knocks me out. I thought the fights were awful, myself, no build up, just one punch or two and you're out. There was one of the guys, or two, that were doing massive amounts of blow and so some people got injured. Gary Fung, I am pretty sure, was the fight choreographer. He was a white Crane guy, as I recall, a student of George Long, who was very controversial back then, I understand. Of course, most of those masters hate each other, at least the Kung Fu guys.

• Like 5

On 28/12/2017 at 10:24 PM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

I did a stunt in the movie. One of my fellow students was Marc Sabin, the star in that movie. I throw a kick, Jean Claude kicks and knocks me out. I thought the fights were awful, myself, no build up, just one punch or two and you're out. There was one of the guys, or two, that were doing massive amounts of blow and so some people got injured. Gary Fung, I am pretty sure, was the fight choreographer. He was a white Crane guy, as I recall, a student of George Long, who was very controversial back then, I understand. Of course, most of those masters hate each other, at least the Kung Fu guys.

Thank you for the inside information @NoKUNGFUforYU.

Sounds like some real underground movie making, judging by your stories.

Here's some classic action highlights.

• Like 3

TheFlyingPanda
On 12/17/2017 at 9:18 AM, DragonClaws said:

Are there any decent release of this movie knocking about, and is it worth picking up for fans of B-Moives?.

I made a search for this title before posting, but I was unable to find a thread for the film.

Man, I wish there was a decent DVD/BD of this film. I remember enjoying the fight scenes and laughing at the cheese with my father watching this back in 88 on VHS. I saw a copy of the German DVD a few years back and it wasn't to good.  I wouldn't be surprised if SHOUT! FACTORY or 88 films release it some time in the future. If anyone hears about a release, please let me know as well. 

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU

I saw it on a screen at the pre-release. You guys aren't missing much. It looked cheap even on the wide screen, etc. I found out Shout passed on the Cathay collection. Much rather have them get that then dreck like this. And the guys in the movie are some of my friends, but it's just so corny. Anyway, to each there own. PS. Shout passed because it was pan and scan and TV sized. Remastered though. Such a shame.

• Like 3

Here's the official website for the leader of the Kill Squad - https://www.jeanglaude.com/

ea248876fb2e488290d3ab8eb4adcf7e
eecacd3e74174027b1462865c3f4332b
A BTS photo with Cameron Mitchell, Kill Squad producer Ladd Rucker, and Jean Glaude.

5380a86e79294570b1cf38549b310697

Marc Sabin is a minister today in Cold Spring, New York. He was an exponent of Chinese Kempo, Chinese Ch’uan Fa, Escrima, and Taijiquan. 
http://www.marcsabin.com/about.html

2022-09-01_13-10-06.jpg

2022-09-01_13-11-11.jpg

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

On 10/1/2022 at 12:48 AM, Jesse Smooth said:

I actually bought the German BD release. It’s a terrible movie, but the extras are cool.

I just bought the German blu ray too and the best extra for me was the one with Jean Glaudė. You can tell he really enjoyed working with Patrick Donahue and this film quite a bit. Just seems a real cool unpretentious dude.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

I just bought the German blu ray too and the best extra for me was the one with Jean Glaudė. You can tell he really enjoyed working with Patrick Donahue and this film quite a bit. Just seems a real cool unpretentious dude.

He is. Years ago, he contacted me with such kindness and my respect for not just martial arts but martial arts films as a whole. Such a great guy and yeah, even though the fights were the normal 80's US style, it was clear he made the most of his role as Larry Pearson. 

• Like 3

dionbrother

A friend sent me the Media VHS from the 80s.  Can't get through it and I do have a lot of patience with stateside-shot chop sockey.  Hey, I actually enjoyed DEATH MACHINES!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1