The Video Game Thread

DiP

On 9/21/2023 at 1:50 PM, PandaPawPaw said:

Anyone watch Angry Video Game Nerd? I used to really like it but now find it really lame and past it. It all feels really forced/cringey now.

I used to watch him all the time, but I recently unsubscribed from him (Around 2021-2022). The quality of his work has really dropped off some time ago (Probably around 2017). You would get an okay episode here or there, but nothing like when it first started (The humor is forced and by the numbers, like you said). I think the problem is that while he seems like a nice guy, he has a huge ego (As seen by his poor response to criticism of the episode "Sega Activator Interactor Menacer", easily one of the worse episodes) and it won't allow him to call it quits and do something else. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DarthKato said:

I used to watch him all the time, but I recently unsubscribed from him (Around 2021-2022). The quality of his work has really dropped off some time ago (Probably around 2017). You would get an okay episode here or there, but nothing like when it first started (The humor is forced and by the numbers, like you said). I think the problem is that while he seems like a nice guy, he has a huge ego (As seen by his poor response to criticism of the episode "Sega Activator Interactor Menacer", easily one of the worse episodes) and it won't allow him to call it quits and do something else. 

I had to google that ep and yeah I remember hating that one! The guy he had with him wasn't funny at all! Also that guy Mike Matei that does videos with him is a bellend.

All the comments on that video from what I've seen are positive.................................

• Like 1

When I got my XB360 back in the day, the game I got with it was PGR3. I went from the PSX to XB360 so the shock for me at how good the game looked and sounded was amazing! I like PGR4 for the weather and that Prodigy intro.

PGR3.

PGR4 Intro.

That Prodigy tune is awesome!

Bikes were cool too.

10 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

I had to google that ep and yeah I remember hating that one! The guy he had with him wasn't funny at all! Also that guy Mike Matei that does videos with him is a bellend.

All the comments on that video from what I've seen are positive.................................

Yeah, he has a very loyal fan base that likes whatever he makes, regardless of how good or bad it is. 

I thought Mike was okay in some things( Like Board James), but yeah, he was usually just loud and annoying. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DarthKato said:

Yeah, he has a very loyal fan base that likes whatever he makes, regardless of how good or bad it is. 

I thought Mike was okay in some things( Like Board James), but yeah, he was usually just loud and annoying. 

The thing that annoyed me most about Mike was he swears every other word! It gets tiring.

I also read the movie James made bombed or something. It doesn't look very good.

• Like 1

@PandaPawPaw Yeah as a big Yakuza fan, when this came out I grabbed it right away, like you said. It's a blast to play and it feels super under the radar now.

I was hoping for a sequel or something else in that vain from the developers.. But I'm not complaining the Yakuza/Judgement games are still as good as it gets for me!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigDruDogg said:

But I'm not complaining the Yakuza/Judgement games are still as good as it gets for me!

Speaking of Yakuza games... Latest game, releasing in November 9, sees the return of Kazuma Kiryu as the main protagonist after Yakuza 6

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

The thing that annoyed me most about Mike was he swears every other word! It gets tiring.

I also read the movie James made bombed or something. It doesn't look very good.

Yeah, and him screaming at everything that goes wrong gets really tiring. 

I haven't seen it yet (Probably won't), but I watched some reviews, and it looks pretty bad. He tried to make a "So bad, its good" type movie, missing the whole point that the people making movies like that, aren't actually trying to do that (Except Uwe Boll. Pretty sure he does it on purpose. lol)

• Haha 1

Tekken 8 is looking more hype than ever, as, in addition to Tekken Ball and Ghost Battle, a mode in the vein of Tekken Force / Scenario Campaign (but likely closer to the Warriors games judging by the photos) also seems to be making a comeback!

story-mode-gameplay-leak-v0-m1dbxl6gldtb1.jpg

story-mode-gameplay-leak-v0-mmg1hbhgldtb1.jpg

story-mode-gameplay-leak-v0-6inm14cgldtb1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, Agent U said:

Tekken 8 is looking more hype than ever, as, in addition to Tekken Ball and Ghost Battle, a mode in the vein of Tekken Force / Scenario Campaign (but likely closer to the Warriors games judging by the photos) also seems to be making a comeback!

story-mode-gameplay-leak-v0-m1dbxl6gldtb1.jpg

story-mode-gameplay-leak-v0-mmg1hbhgldtb1.jpg

story-mode-gameplay-leak-v0-6inm14cgldtb1.jpg

Looks more like Dynasty Warriors to me. Last time I played Tekken, was Tekken 3.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 10:36 PM, Yggdrasil said:

Looks more like Dynasty Warriors to me. Last time I played Tekken, was Tekken 3.

Indeed, and I noted as much myself.

Still, Tekken Force and alike has changed a lot since T3.

In T4, it retained the name but already had larger areas. In T5, it was a mode called 'Devil Within', where you played (only) as Jin / Devil Jin, which also had much bigger environments and lot of (rather nagging, I must say) platforming and puzzle-solving elements. Then, in T6, it was 'Scenario Campaign', which went back to a more Tekken Force-like gameplay; it featured very large areas and a variety of in-game weapons, and served as the main story mode in the game, told through newcomers Lars and Alisa.

After the single player wasteland that was T7, this new mode in T8 looks like the next step in the evolution of these. Some believe this may just be a mini-game section in the main story, not an actual separate mode. Still cool regardless.

Edited by Agent U
  • Like 1

I always thought he was amazing but looking back on it, apparently not!

(Taken from the top YT comment)

"According to Dave Perry, the Tetsujin was actually supposed to battle 100 British Virtua Fighter players and win. The only problem was that the production crew at Hewland could only find 30 children who were visiting from a nearby local school, where one half didn't play video-games, while the other half who did had certainly not played VF3. Everything was filmed so that it looked like the Tetsujin was thrashing 100 players, but really there was only about 30, and they were all lambs to the slaughter.

At one point, Dominik asked Dave sarcastically if he fancied taking the Tetsujin on. Cheesed off with seeing him beat these poor kids, Dave said he would happily have a go at the Tetsujin. Needless to say, the production crew didn'’t let Dave near the machine, and cut that small conversation out of the episode."

Also I thought his name was BunBunMaru but it's not. So who the fuck is BunBunMaru and what was I smoking!? :P

Edited by PandaPawPaw

On 10/15/2023 at 12:40 PM, PandaPawPaw said:

Oh those old start up intros are sooooooooo noice!

I skipped straight to the PSX intro. Miss that sound! 

• Love 1

40 minutes ago, DiP said:

Let's see how they do this justice. So far, it's looking promising!

Maybe it's just me but I'm not amazed by the graphics. It has a weird disconnected feel. Backgrounds look good as do some of the animals but then then some of it looks jarringly meh.

I've only played the 1st one so what do I know. :P

I tried the Tekken 8 closed beta, and was very impressed by how fun ghost mode is. I spent an entire play session just running round the lobby and fighting people's ghosts. This feature can give the game incredible longevity.

At the same time I must say I'm a bit worried about the gameplay. Don't get me wrong, it definitely plays great, it's smooth and fun. But I definitely miss the more purist gameplay of older Tekken and SoulCalibur. Now, there's just so many meters, specials, and other flow-breaking stuff all the time.

The worst offender for me is this special control system. A button for each limb was always defining for Tekken, and now you can have an alternate control system which almost turns the game into an anime fighter, with one button for auto combos, another for auto air combos, a 3rd for specials, etc. I don't like it!

Anyway, the roster is almost complete.

This leak from three months ago turned out spot-on:

The only characters to reveal are

Spoiler

Victor, a CQC French spy,

and

Spoiler

Reina, (another) Heihachi's love child, who is said to have somewhat inherited his moveset.

ETA: Turns out Victor has already been revealed. And he is the epitome of every dreadful thing I've mentioned above... Cool stage though!

Edited by Agent U

14 minutes ago, Omni Dragon said:

GTA VI? trailer to be released to the public tomorrow:

Or 2pm UK time. Some fans think they've sussed out the release date of the full game via a t-shirt worn by a NPC in a recently update of GTA online.

Among the numbers on the shirt, which coincidentally has 120523 on it, it also has 040125.

Who would release a game on April 1st anyway? Why not January 4th instead.

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 1

Trailer is live now. 

All in all, it looks promising enough.  Was hoping to see more gameplay.  I get that they've been going hard on TV/Internet/ Social Media elements since IV, but is that what everyone's been looking forward to for over a decade?  I wish they'd kept Vice City in the 80s.  Modern Florida Man humor is all well and good, but the setting loses so much without the glitz of that era.

Tentatively optimistic.  Too early to really have much of an opinion. 2025 is a long way off, assuming it doesn't get delayed.  Or longer still if they keep to the tradition of putting it on PC 6-12 months later. 

• Like 2