The Video Game Thread

DiP

I've tested the Tekken 8 beta.

Very smooth gameplay and fantastic stages.

My only criticism is how the female characters still look very doll-like.

• Like 1

I wish fighting games would have fully explorable stages. I love the Dead or Alive stages/games but hate how there is an invisible wall sometimes. You can see past it but can't go there. :(

I remember some Dragon Ball games having very large stages. Yet you'd still often run into an invisible wall.

A recent game even used its advertised absence of invisible walls for marketing: https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/dragon-ball/news/dragon-ball-z-kakarot-gameplay-showcase-1

Out of the more traditional 3D fighting games, DoA games offer the largest and most interactive stages.

Bushido Blade might be even better though from what I recall.

Also, Naraka Bladepoint, even if technically that's a battle royale game.

• Buddha Bless You 1

I loved the stages in DOA4. Gamblers Paradise, Experimental Playground, Sea Side Market are great and Kyoto in Bloom is a particular fave due to Sakura blowing.

• Like 1

It's a pity DOA seems to have had such a fall from grace since.

Tekken, SoulCalibur, DOA are all good 3D fighting game series imo, each with its own strengths.

On 8/29/2023 at 9:33 AM, PandaPawPaw said:

That looks great and Llamas/Alpacas!

1.thumb.jpg.8640b6ded7d91c7be87efd574c913a32.jpg

:D

It's newcomer Azucena's stage:

The top level at least.

I love these multi-level stages, and those transitions.

I believe they've picked those from DOA originally.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Agent U said:

It's newcomer Azucena's stage:

The top level at least.

I love these multi-level stages, and those transitions.

I believe they've picked those from DOA originally.

WOW that looks great! I wonder if the Llamas attack you if you get too close or something.

I'm still waiting for Virtua Fighter 6.

10 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

WOW that looks great! I wonder if the Llamas attack you if you get too close or something.

Doubt it. I don't think there's ever been any sort of damage from stage elements in Tekken.

They'll likely run away, like the deers in that SoulCalibur VI stage they never made playable for God knows what reason.

• Like 1

Back to the Wild West with red dead redemption 2,still the most immersive game I’ve ever played(Xbox series x)

• Like 2

Johnny Cage is getting a JCVD skin on MK1:

Especially when you consider how remarkably they captured the likeness of Schwarzenegger, Stallone and Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa in the previous game, this JCVD skin is looking a bit off...

Edited by Agent U
  • Like 1

I've been bouncing between FFXVI, Armored Core 6, Trails into Reverie.... Just beat FF 2, 3, and at the end of 5 In the pixel remaster set...been good times lately

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Agent U said:

Johnny Cage is getting a JCVD skin on MK1:

Especially when you consider how remarkably they captured the likeness of Schwarzenegger, Stallone and Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa in the previous game, this JCVD skin is looking a bit off...

That looks vaguely like him but clearly they didn't do a scan of his face. Tong Po would be great as playable character!

I was originally not interested in the new MK game as it's the second time the original MK game is being remade after the 2011 one (still unmatched imo). But the overall game mechanics makes me more drawn to it. I'll watch more footage before deciding to buy it or not.

On 9/15/2023 at 10:06 AM, DiP said:

I was originally not interested in the new MK game as it's the second time the original MK game is being remade after the 2011 one (still unmatched imo). But the overall game mechanics makes me more drawn to it. I'll watch more footage before deciding to buy it or not.

I feel exactly the opposite regarding MK1.

I played MK 11 quite a bit, but this new game never managed to get me interested.

Part of it is MK 11 or my experience with it, because, although a solid game overall, it was overwhelmingly grindy at launch, and a lot of stuff was patched / improved later. I recall thinking when the game got an expansion (Aftermath, I believe it was called), I should have waited one year and for the same price would have got a much more polished and complete experience.

I also didn't like the story in MK 11, felt overly ping-pong like, time travel back and forth, and the one in MK1 looks like more of that.

Secondly, how it compares to MK11. Just looking at MK 11, it was clearly a massive step forward from MKX; the same way just by looking at MKX, it was clearly a massive step forward from MK9. The first thing I thought when I saw the first footage of MK1 was that it looked exactly like MK11. The stages may look a bit better, but the character models for the returning characters in many cases are imo inferior to the ones in MK 11.

Thirdly, MK1 itself. I've never really been much of a fan of tag or team fighters, so this whole Kameo mechanic puts me off. Were it optional or only in certain game modes, that would be fine, an asset even. The problem is it's pervasive, there's no escape from it, it's always there, and there's never a pure 1v1 in this game.

Finally, people playing the early access say MK1 is definitely a big downgrade in many regards, notably customisation, tutorials and single player in general. Case in point: character intros, an aspect where the last MK games shone above the competition, with MK11 even making them unlockable and customisable, are now absent in most modes (!).

I'll likely still get the complete/ultimate/whatever edition at a huge sale though. Based on previous games, this should be in about 2 years.

In the meantime, the only fighter I'm considering getting at launch or around launch is Tekken 8.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2023 at 9:35 PM, Agent U said:

Secondly, how it compares to MK11. Just looking at MK 11, it was clearly a massive step forward from MKX; the same way just by looking at MKX, it was clearly a massive step forward from MK9. The first thing I thought when I saw the first footage of MK1 was that it looked exactly like MK11. The stages may look a bit better, but the character models for the returning characters in many cases are imo inferior to the ones in MK 11.

Neither MKX and MK11 did much for me in the long run. They were great at first glance but after a while I got bored with the whole presentations. The character models, the motion captures, the new character roster, the storylines. Something about these games are off. Like many installments after the SNES era, they just went overboard with the universe expansion.

So for me, they are steps down from MK9, which I think has yet to be topped. They don't have the feel of being true MK games but are just fighting games that has the MK name stamped all over it.

Edited by DiP

14 hours ago, DiP said:

Neither MKX and MK 11 did much for me in the long run. They were great at first glance but after a while I got bored with the whole presentations. The character models, the motion captures, the new character rooster, the storylines. Something about these games are off. Like many installments after the SNES era, they just went overboard with the universe expansion.

So for me, they are steps down from MK9, which I think has yet to be topped. They don't have the feel of being true MK games but are just fighting games that has the MK name stamped all over it.

I see what you mean. I believe NRS developing both MK and Injustice games made the former lose some of its identity.

This wasn't so much the case with MKX, but in MK11 and also MK1 many stages are very lively and colourful, which doesn't fit the universe.

NRS games have a variety of game modes, and a lot of stuff to do, discover and unlock, so you can spend quite a bit of time with them. However, the gameplay and animations are consistently rubbish.

It doesn't look like MK1 solves any of the series core problems, and in certain aspects it even seems to be a step back.

• Like 1

Some gaming intros I remember back in the day.

GT1 (PSX).

NiGHTS (SEGA Saturn).

Rival Schools (PSX). TUNE!

Street Fighter Alpha 2 (SEGA Saturn).

Sega Rally Championship (SEGA Saturn).

Virtua Fighter 2 (SEGA Saturn).

Tekken 3 (PSX).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Some gaming intros I remember back in the day.

GT1 (PSX).

NiGHTS (SEGA Saturn).

Rival Schools (PSX). TUNE!

Street Fighter Alpha 2 (SEGA Saturn).

Sega Rally Championship (SEGA Saturn).

Virtua Fighter 2 (SEGA Saturn).

Tekken 3 (PSX).

GT has aged quite a bit. I remember the music really blasted on the first one but GT 2 or was it GT3, the music was a let down, as were the racing tracks.

I wanted more than tarmac and sunny days, so jumped ship to V-Rally and Colin McRae.

BTW, I haven't seen the GT film, but from what I've seen of the trailer, the acting looks cack.

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 1

Anyone watch Angry Video Game Nerd? I used to really like it but now find it really lame and past it. It all feels really forced/cringey now.

• Like 1