Samurai Assassin widescreen?

KyFi

I'm just wondering about this 1965 Mifune movie being released in R1 by Animeigo---on Amazon it's listed as 1:33----I"m hoping this is a mistake? Can anyone confirm this is anamorphic widescreen or not? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest AnimEigo

it is 2.35:1 in Anamorphic Widescreen. Looks like Amazon has it off, which means we will need to get that changed.

Guest kungfusamurai

Why bother? Wouldn't they be paying again for the same film. I know the audio is different, but their racket isn't selling cheesy english dubbed flicks. Maybe Crash Cinema could try pulling that one off?

KFS

Guest platinumrich

what do you mean they'd be paying for the same film?...i would like an original language remastered version of that film,it would complete the LONE WOLF AND CUB saga they released.

Guest kungfusamurai

They've already got the rights to Lone Wolf & Cub 1 and 2, which were the sources of Shogun Assassin. But from what I understand they don't automatically own the rights to SA because the soundtrack, and possibly the editing (I don't know if you can copyright that) are owned by an American company. So in essence, they'd be buying the same film twice.

Anyway, Animeigo's specialty is in original Japanese language releases. Dubbed Japanese action films have been put out by companies like Crash Cinema, that's why I suggested they'd be perfect to put out SA. Then as an extra, maybe Crash could also include the trailer for Lightning Swords of Death, a piece of which was on that Kung Fu Mania trailer compilation. The original Japanese trailer for the film Baby Cart To Hades was not included on any of the Animeigo releases, and it features a lot of shots and angles that differ from the final released version of the film, much like the other LW&C trailers on the Animeigo DVDs.

KFS

KFS

Guest chiba2000

"Shogun Assassin" first it's a US "made" movie, a lame attempt by some director to milk money of the famous Lone Wolf and Cubs series. It's just a ripp and paste production with pieces from Lone Wolf 1 and Lone Wolf 2...never released in Japan and there's no real ending in it...so why do we need one in Japanese??! The only cool thing with Shoguns Assassin if you ask me, was the music and the "narrator" voice of Daigoro. Buy the whole Lone Wolf seires instead, that will give you the whole story and a ending too. If you need more Lone Wolf, there are several TV series with subs and at least two more movies (different actors tough). :)

/Chiba2000 8)

www.ninjadojo.com

Guest platinumrich

ok...its a little clearer now. having both shogun assasin 1 and 2....plus the 6 lone wolf cub series. i noticed there were a lot of the same scenes in different movies,@#%$ was confusing,so the shogun assassins were just some u.s. release of the lwc series compacted into 2 movies.i knew the lupine wolf clearly was ,the opening is the same to baby cart to hades,but the opening sequence in shogun assassin when his wife is killed and diagoro is born,diagoro makes his long speech about his father,and itto makes him choose the ball or the sword....that wasnt in any of the lwc series if i recall. was it?

Guest chiba2000

All footage in Shoguns Assassin are from from Lone Wolf movie 1 and 2, not sure what that "Lupine" is ripped and pasted from but it's all Lone Wolf movie 1-6, yes, you have the ball, Ogami's wife etc in those. The only thing "new" added in the US "productions" were the music (pretty cool) and Diagoro's "narrator/speech" voice (also pretty cool), no additional footage made for the US movies, trust me on this. You have everything in your LWAC 1-6. ;)

/Chiba2000 8)

Guest kungfusamurai
but the opening sequence in shogun assassin when his wife is killed and diagoro is born,diagoro makes his long speech about his father,and itto makes him choose the ball or the sword....that wasnt in any of the lwc series if i recall. was it?

I know there's at least one flashback sequence in a later film (I think it was Baby Cart To Hades) that tries to revisit the circumstances of the first film. But the scene where Daigoro chooses between the ball and the sword, I believe that was in the first film Sword of Vengeance. I remember it starts with the two of them on the road, and some kids are bouncing a ball and the image of the bouncing ball then segues into the scene where Daigoro makes the choice.

By the way, Daigoro was born before the mother was killed. I think he was only a few months old when she died. I don't know how Ogami Itto fed Daigoro. I guess they had baby bottles back then. :)

KFS

Archived