Non Martial Arts Films with Great Martial arts Action

TheFlyingPanda

TheFlyingPanda

3 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

The actor/martial artist who played that role is not credited in the film. Always wondered who it was, and I can't say I've ever seen him appear in anything else.

I believe his name is Neil Clifford and was also in the movie Class of 1984. I'll have to watch that film again to confirm. 

MV5BN2QzMTRlOTUtYzc3MS00NWUzLWI2YzAtNDM5NjkyNDMyMTMxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

• Like 2

Yet another film to add to the list!

Oddly it struck me today that Ice Cube has been in quite a lot of films with fight scenes. The first Friday for example, a real slugfest at the end. Hell, he was in a movie called Fist Fight earlier this year! Not much good, although he and Charlie Day do get an extended comic fight sequence at the end.

Is it just me that thinks that a good fight sequence in a sub par film can elevate your overall opinion? I'll give you an example, the Sly Stallone flick Bullet to the Head was utterly forgettable, so much so I can barely recall any plot details. However I still think the axe fight with Jason Momoa at the end was pretty damn good.

• Like 2

TheFlyingPanda
4 hours ago, SamSeed said:

Is it just me that thinks that a good fight sequence in a sub par film can elevate your overall opinion? I'll give you an example, the Sly Stallone flick Bullet to the Head was utterly forgettable, so much so I can barely recall any plot details. However I still think the axe fight with Jason Momoa at the end was pretty damn good.

I Agree, It wasn't as good as I though it would be, but That end fight was a plus. 

• Like 1

TheFlyingPanda

I just remembered... 

Dark Angel aka I Come in Peace  Is not labeled a martial arts film, but packs a few kicks. Hell its and Action, Sci-fi, crime horror and even a Christmas movie! Pure fun, gotta love this film. 

Dolph throws down some moves in a few scenes. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SamSeed said:

Not Walter Hills finest hour but still an underated action flick, the axe fight was one of the highlights.

• Like 1

TheFlyingPanda

Another Film I watched recently with good amount of Martial arts, that is considered and "Action Thriller" is Road House

road-house-56b7d3d4bcb76.jpg

This move definitely belongs to this list.

roadhouse.jpg

The funny thing is it contains as much MA ( and bare hand fighting in general) as some well known Martial Arts labeled films.

On that note: I cant remember if Next of Kin (also Swayze ) had martial arts? its been a long time since I've seen that one. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, TheFlyingPanda said:

On that note: I cant remember if Next of Kin (also Swayze ) had martial arts? its been a long time since I've seen that one. 

I think Next Of Kin is more gunplay than empty hands, but I'm not 100% sure, it's so long since I watched this one.

13 minutes ago, TheFlyingPanda said:

The funny thing is it contains as much MA ( and bare hand fighting in general) as some well known Martial Arts labeled films.

How did I forget about this one?(Bangs head against wall), I wonder if the sequel was as Martial Arts heavy?.

I think Swayze tried to put a little Martial Arts/Self-Defense stuff in all his action roles?.

Trying to recall if Scott Glenn used any Martial Arts techniques in the actioner Wild Geese 2?. The original Man On Fire would probably suit this thread more, also starring Glenn.

• Like 4

Let's not forget Meet the Fockers. Dustin Hoffman's Bernard Focker studied "capoeira" LOL

The football comedy Necessary Roughness has a character named Eric "Samurai" Hansen. The referee is the funny part of the film as well...

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

On 12/21/2017 at 4:04 PM, TheFlyingPanda said:

It had a bit of MA in it. J.J. Perry was the fight choreographer and Richard Norton was in the film as the villain and he only had one fight scene against Jonathan Schaech

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AlbertV said:

It had a bit of MA in it. J.J. Perry was the fight choreographer and Richard Norton was in the film as the villain and he only had one fight scene against Jonathan Schaech

Another early Richard Norton role I'd never heard about, looking out for the Thunder From Down Under next time I watch it.

1 hour ago, AlbertV said:

Let's not forget Meet the Fockers. Dustin Hoffman's Bernard Focker studied "capoeira" LOL

Some might say that its the deadliest style of them all?.

Edited by DragonClaws

TheFlyingPanda

3 hours ago, AlbertV said:

The football comedy Necessary Roughness has a character named Eric "Samurai" Hansen. The referee is the funny part of the film as well...

This cracked me up in the theaters. :BL-Laughing:

•  
  •  
Posted 3 hours ago (The football comedy Necessary Roughness has a character named Eric "Samurai" Hansen. The referee is the funny part of the film as well...
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2017 at 4:38 PM, TheFlyingPanda said:

I believe his name is Neil Clifford and was also in the movie Class of 1984. I'll have to watch that film again to confirm. 

MV5BN2QzMTRlOTUtYzc3MS00NWUzLWI2YzAtNDM5NjkyNDMyMTMxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

That's him alright. He played Fallon, one of Stegman's crew in Class of 1984. He gave up acting and is now a sculptor. His website with his art can be found here

Spoiler

He's the one who gets his arm cut off on the table saw and then impaled on it by Perry King's Andy Norris in the climactic scene of Class of 1984.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

TheFlyingPanda
18 hours ago, AlbertV said:

That's him alright. He played Fallon, one of Stegman's crew in Class of 1984. He gave up acting and is now a sculptor. His website with his art can be found here

That is really interesting, Thanks for the link.  

Before I forget.. another film (Sci-fi action) Eliminators has some MA fight scenes with Conan Lee who played the Ninja trained son of a murdered scientist who help build the Mandroid.

eliminators_poster_01.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheFlyingPanda said:

Before I forget.. another film (Sci-fi action) Eliminators has some MA fight scenes with Conan Lee who played the Ninja trained son of a murdered scientist who help build the Mandroid.

Ordered the R1 release of this, that comes with three other equally far out B-Movies. Fun little film, and the SFX were a lot better than I expected, for the period and budget. They cant even make B-Movies like they used to.

• Like 2

TheFlyingPanda

Another movie that recently came to mind that falls on this category, is the 1990 cheesy Sci-Fi Action movie After Shock 

James Lew is in this ultra swisscheese feast.  I remember it containing quite a few MA action scenes. Martial artist and Stuntman Chuck Jeffreys is in the film as well. If anyone know were to get a good print, let me know. 

Aftershock front poster.jpg

• Like 3

ShaOW!linDude

The Accountant starring Ben Affleck has some moments of MA. That movie is just really good, period.

Watched American Assassin last night, and it, too, features some nicely choreographed fights with an MA flavor. It also sports Scott Adkins in a supporting role.

• Like 4

It's not really a movie, but the "Daredevil" Netflix show should be recognized for its fight scenes. I particularly enjoyed Daredevil's fights in "The Defenders". Although, I suppose it could be classed as martial arts.

• Like 3

Hot Shots Part Deux spoofed the Rambo fight scene and replaced the sticks with Kickboxer's "ancient way"! Have to admit, Charlie Sheen did pretty well with his kicks. Whoever trained him...good job!

• Like 3

ShaOW!linDude

Personally, I categorize Road House as an (American) MA flick. But that's me. The central character is a martial artist, there's quite a few fights featuring him using martial arts, and there is an end fight full of guess what: martial arts.

(Mike drop. Lots of feedback. Silence.)

• Like 2

On 13/01/2018 at 4:45 PM, ShaOW!linDude said:

Personally, I categorize Road House as an (American) MA flick. But that's me. The central character is a martial artist, there's quite a few fights featuring him using martial arts, and there is an end fight full of guess what: martial arts.

(Mike drop. Lots of feedback. Silence.)

While watching the crowdfnidng video for The Martial Arts Kid 2, I spotted a ptue of Benny The Jet Urquidez, with Swayze on the set of this movie. Never knew about his presence behind the scenes, with this production.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

While watching the crowdfnidng video for The Martial Arts Kid 2, I spotted a ptue of Benny The Jet Urquidez, with Swayze on the set of this movie. Never knew about his presence behind the scenes, with this production.

Benny trained Patrick Swayze for the fight scenes and according to Swayze in his autobiography The Time of My Life, Urquidez told him that had he not been an actor, Swayze could have been a good kickboxer in the ring. Urquidez did have a small cameo in the film too watching the monster truck wreak havoc on the car dealership

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 4

TheFlyingPanda

Ultra Sleez-Cheese Action Sexploitation movie Caged Fury has a martial arts theme implanted in it, with Erik Estrada's partner fighting everyone with Martial arts. I laughed a bunch, but there was enough scenes to toss in this category. 81ui0vYqIFL._RI_.jpg

Edited by TheFlyingPanda
  • Like 1

What about the very short dust up in Dirty Harry 5: The DeadPool. When Harry's Korean partner Evan(Al Quan) takes out some thugs, who attempt to escape a crime scene. He get's to show off some impressive Martial Arts moves.

ep52-deadpool1.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/4/2018 at 12:50 AM, TheFlyingPanda said:

Ultra Sleez-Cheese Action Sexploitation movie Caged Fury has a martial arts theme implanted in it, with Erik Estrada's partner fighting everyone with Martial arts. I laughed a bunch, but there was enough scenes to toss in this category. 81ui0vYqIFL._RI_.jpg

I remember that. Erik's partner was Richie Barathy, who was a champion  who founded American Combat Karate. He passed in 1996.

As for The Dead Pool, Harry's partner will also be known as the Bruce Lee character in the spoof Fistful of Yen and was hilarious in Caveman as the only Caveman who speaks perfect English.

Just thought of another. Dan Aykroyd's Friday uses Martial arts to fight off a trio of street punks in 1987's Dragnet. It's pretty quick and the nunchaku guy is the late Stuart Quon.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

TheFlyingPanda

Oh man, I forgot about these movies, nice one fellas. 

17 hours ago, AlbertV said:

Erik's partner was Richie Barathy, who was a champion  who founded American Combat Karate. He passed in 1996.

Thanks for that, I was wondering who he was, though I felt I've seen him before in black belt magazine. 

• Like 1