More iconic? Donnie Yen or Sammo Hung?

Iron_Leopard

When it's all said and done which of these two martial arts icons will be held in higher regard with fans of martial arts cinema?

It's so close for me I can't even choose. Want to wait and see what you guys have to say before I make a decision.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

You ask which man will be most iconic in the mind of fans, which is impossible to answer. I can tell you who rightfully should be though... and that is obviously Sammo.

I shouldn't have to explain why.

22 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

You ask which man will be most iconic in the mind of fans, which is impossible to answer. I can tell you who rightfully should be though... and that is obviously Sammo.

I shouldn't have to explain why.

Sammo got a head start but is he really rhat far ahead of Donnie now?

TibetanWhiteCrane

Let's examine...

Sammo and his generation of opera players changed their skills into a style of action choreo that would proliferate and dominate throughout decades of HK cinema and traces of which can still be felt in action cinema from around the world to this day. He single handedly upped the game of fight choreo with every film he did for GH in the 70's. You can actually see the progress with every individual movie. Not to mention his time as a child actor, also helping out with acrobatic or action scenes at that young age and starting to do choreo for Shaw Bros. in his teens. His work as action maestro continued through the 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and is still doing it.

He has directed around 20 films that can arguably be called genre classics and some that weren't that great as well. He was never shy about putting his ego on hold and take a backseat in his own films while featuring friends and opera brothers in lead roles, tailoring films to their strengths to make them stars in their own right and making them look better in action than they ever had before. He set up several production companies, co founded some (such as the prolific D&B) and produced a slew of classics as well as popularizing several genres with films like Mr. Vampire and Long Arm of the Law and was definitely the king of action comedy in the 80's. Yes, his career took a slump in the 90's, but still innovated with stuff like Moon Warriors, Kung Fu Cult Master and Blade of Fury.

He was a damn fine actor, with great range, comedically, dramatically and in every other sense. Not just an action savant. Though his physical skills, especially for a man of his girth, were phenomenal. He was fast, flexible and powerful, always a treat to watch in action as well as just acting. He helped write the scripts for waaaaay more films than he was credited for. Was deemed charismatic enough by Hollywood to get his own TV show and has been known as "the big brother" of the HK filmmaking community for over thirty years now.

He is one of the most important factors in the evolution of, not only HK action cinema, but action cinema as a whole. He is a living legend who's contributions outweigh those of Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and Lau Kar Lung in my opinion. And comparing him to Donnie Yen, whom I also like, is a little misguided.

You can give me Donnie's stats now :wink

12 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Let's examine...

Sammo and his generation of opera players changed their skills into a style of action choreo that would proliferate and dominate throughout decades of HK cinema and traces of which can still be felt in action cinema from around the world to this day. He single handedly upped the game of fight choreo with every film he did for GH in the 70's. You can actually see the progress with every individual movie. Not to mention his time as a child actor, also helping out with acrobatic or action scenes at that young age and starting to do choreo for Shaw Bros. in his teens. His work as action maestro continued through the 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and is still doing it.

He has directed around 20 films that can arguably be called genre classics and some that weren't that great as well. He was never shy about putting his ego on hold and take a backseat in his own films while featuring friends and opera brothers in lead roles, tailoring films to their strengths to make them stars in their own right and making them look better in action than they ever had before. He set up several production companies, co founded some (such as the prolific D&B) and produced a slew of classics as well as popularizing several genres with films like Mr. Vampire and Long Arm of the Law and was definitely the king of action comedy in the 80's. Yes, his career took a slump in the 90's, but still innovated with stuff like Moon Warriors, Kung Fu Cult Master and Blade of Fury.

He was a damn fine actor, with great range, comedically, dramatically and in every other sense. Not just an action savant. Though his physical skills, especially for a man of his girth, were phenomenal. He was fast, flexible and powerful, always a treat to watch in action as well as just acting. He helped write the scripts for waaaaay more films than he was credited for. Was deemed charismatic enough by Hollywood to get his own TV show and has been known as "the big brother" of the HK filmmaking community for over thirty years now.

He is one of the most important factors in the evolution of, not only HK action cinema, but action cinema as a whole. He is a living legend who's contributions outweigh those of Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and Lau Kar Lung in my opinion. And comparing him to Donnie Yen, whom I also like, is a little misguided.

You can give me Donnie's stats now :wink

Donnie directed "Legend of the Wolf", "Ballistic Kiss" and "Shanghi Affairs". 

Well after the success of the Ip Man movies what do people think now.My opinion it’s still Sammo,for me he was the best Kung fu choreographer from the mid 70s on wards and that’s saying a lot when you look at the talent that was around then.Tailed off in recent years but his resume speaks for itself 

TibetanWhiteCrane

It doesn't matter if Sammo retired tomorrow, Donnie would still need five life times to surpass him in any way... and even then it wouldn't be possible. I don't know why this is even a conversation.

Drunken Monk

Non-kung fu cinema fans will always hold Donnie Yen in a higher regard than Sammo because they've only watched the Ip Man films and Rogue One. But, in the eyes of kung fu fans, Sammo should be miles ahead of Donnie. No question.

Sammo had his hand in more classics before 1985 than Donnie has in his entire career.

NoKUNGFUforYU

Net worth is the same. I have to say, for non fans of the genre, Donnie Yen is 10 times more famous with young people. Guy was in several huge International hits (Rogue One- name a Sammo movie besides Enter The Dragon that would have that many young people seeing it) , and many kids know of Ip Man. To a lot of young people he might be "that fat dude that fights Bruce Lee" at the beginning of Enter the Dragon. Even Martial Law was 25 years ago and only made it through 2 seasons. Big fan of both, just sayin'.....

Archived