Is Hong Kong..

Iron_Leopard

On 1/1/2018 at 11:43 AM, andy338 said:

This topic made me think about whether young people in the west would watch Bruce/Jackie movies in the same way that we did, and the more I thought about it I just can't imagine it. I've certainly never heard any of the 20-somethings that I work with mention them and even when talking to kids into martial arts they've talked about Tony Jaa and Donnie Yen but not Bruce/Jackie.

I must be rather out of touch hearing; that Tony Jaa and Donnie Yen can be talked about without mention of Bruce/Jackie, almost seemed paradoxical to me at 1st. I was still under the impression that Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan are the 1st and possibly the only names mentioned/known by the typical person when it comes to martial art movies.

On 1/1/2018 at 11:43 AM, andy338 said:

Do 70s/80s HK movies appeal to young people anywhere in the world?

Depends what you mean by young people? It could probably be said that it has a cult following. Perhaps interest in the martial arts and HK action style, where almost mainstream with Bruce Lee in the 1970s, then that somewhat waned until, Jackie Chan, Jet Li and John Woo came to Hollywood around the late 1990s/early 2000s.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived