Alita: Battle Angel (2018)

AlbertV

Starring Rosa Salazar, Christoph Waltz, Ed Skrein, Jennifer Connelly, Mahershala Ali, and Marko Zaror. Directed by Robert Rodriguez and produced by James Cameron and Jon Landau. Based on the manga Gunnm by Yukito Kishiro.

Release date: July 20, 2018

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9.12.2017 at 3:29 AM, whitesnake said:

Thanks to CGI, the filmmakers were able to put those big anime eyes on Alita.  

The big eyes are quite distracting to say the least. But the trailer looks promising, I'll keep this on my radar for now :smile

For those of you unfamiliar with the source material (like myself) this serves as a good introduction. Beware it does get pretty violent at times :wink

On 12/11/2017 at 11:38 AM, Drunken Monk said:

Remember when Robert Rodriguez was a good director?

You mean like, when he was young and hungry and came up with El Mariachi?  More money was spent to publicize that movie in the U.S. than Rodriguez spent to make it.  It was followed by Desperado (sequel? reboot?) and Once Upon a Time in Mexico (which was even better).  Not to mention From Dusk Till Dawn.  Now he's got his own cable channel.  And what's on his plate to direct now?  The Ugly Dolls movie.  The Johnny Quest movie.  As the President would say - "Sad".  But I won't give up hope for Machete Kills in Space.  

3 hours ago, whitesnake said:

Once Upon a Time in Mexico (which was even better)

I was really dispointed with this one, and didnt like the hey wire-work they used in some scenes. He also recently worked on the Lucha Underground show, not sure if he's still connected to that now?.

3 hours ago, whitesnake said:

But I won't give up hope for Machete Kills in Space.  

Will Leonardo Di Caprio still be playing the man in th silver mask?

That anime eyes are a game changer in live action anime adaptations. I just hope this one is better than the Ghost in the Shell movie. 

The theatrical release of Alita: Battle Angel has been pushed back to December 21, 2018, according to this Hollywood Reporter article - https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fox-dates-murder-orient-express-sequel-pushes-alita-1084263  

Robert Rodriguez discusses how Alita: Battle Angel could evolve into a franchise if the audience want it.  Right now "it doesn't feel like there's much enthusiasm for the project".  From - https://screenrant.com/alita-battle-angel-sequels-saga/ 

New Official Trailer for Alita: Battle Angel - 

Q&A with Rosa Salazar, James Cameron and Robert Rodriguez about the movie - 

Yay, will be just like going into seeing Ghost in The Shell for the first time again. This one looks larger somehow, more cg and imagery (good attributes for something like this in my eyes). The Ghost in The Shell live action was too sparse and cold, a little too direct to the point and minimal with its futuristc imigery than what it could have been in my opinion.

Yukito Kishiro, creator of the Battle Angel Alita manga, had some comments after seeing the July trailer for the live action movie - "In the beginning, I was surprised because [Alita's] eyes are big.  But when I saw what scenes there are, I stopped noticing it.  When Alita is wet in the scene where she's exploring the spaceship sunk in the water, I started to think 'Cute!'  I think everyone will come to like it soon."  He also praised the films "translucent depictions of the cyborg bodies, elaborate mechanics and the amazing volume of information in the long shots of Iron City," Kishiro said,  "When I saw high-quality representations of what I wanted to express in the original manga and illustrations but couldn't, I though, 'Thank you!  This is a video I wanted to see 30 years ago' and 'I'm jealous of the film representation."

Battle Angel Alita will open in both Japan and the United States on December 21. 

Article at https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2018-08-11/battle-angel-alita-manga-creator-reacts-to-live-action-film-eyes-scenery/.135345

Official Japanese website - http://www.foxmovies-jp.com/alitabattleangel/

The opening of the Alita: Battle Angel live action movie has now been pushed back to February 14, 2019.  It will be released in Real D 3D, Dolby Cinema and IMAX 3D.  (As noted in Hollywood Reporter, IMDB and Wikipedia)  

From Wikipedia - James Cameron registered the domain name "battleangelalita.com" in June 2000.  His "Dark Angel" TV series (2000 - 2002) was influenced by the Battle Angel Alita manga.       

A new trailer for Alita: Battle Angel has been released.  It announces the release date as February 6 (2019).  I hope this means there really will be no further release date postponements or adjustments. 

"Get ready to be transported to the fantastic and cyberpunk world of Alita: Battle Angel.  Ahead of the Feb 14 release date, fans in select cities will be able to participate in an immersive Alita experience called 'Passport to Iron City" which will put you right in the action... 'Passport to Iron City' will open in Los Angeles starting Jan 23; New York on Jan. 26 and Austin on Jan 29.  The immersive experience transports visitors directly into the futuristic world of Robert Rodriguez, James Cameron and Jon Landau's upcoming 20th Century Fox film.  Guests will be able to explore Iron City, which has been recreated down to the last detail by the film's production designers, where they interact with the City's gritty residents, earn credits by completing puzzles and challenges, experiment with custom technology built for the retro-future Alita aesthetic, and uncover hidden clues to determine their fate with the city's controlling force."  From - https://deadline.com/2019/01/alita-battle-angel-passport-to-iron-city-immersive-experience-fox-1202531076/

Order tickets and learn more at https://alitaexperience.com/

Passport to Iron City (Teaser Trailer) - 

James Cameron Invites You to Passport to Iron City - 

"20th Century Fox began streaming two new videos for Alita; Battle Angel... The videos both feature film clips as well as interviews with cast and staff."  From https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-01-18/live-action-hollywood-alita-battle-angel-film-latest-videos-feature-interviews-with-cast-staff/.142252

Alita: Battle Angel Two Visionaries, One Vision - 

Alita: Battle Angel The Making of Alita - 

• Administrator

I haven't read the manga nor seen the anime, but this film looks intriguing.

I've seen the damn trailer about a dozen times now (seems like before every movie I saw in 2018), but no sign of Marko Zaror. He's listed in the credits. Anyone else spot him in there?

16 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I've seen the damn trailer about a dozen times now (seems like before every movie I saw in 2018), but no sign of Marko Zaror.

IMDB and Wikipedia list Mark Zaror as playing Ajakutty, "a Second League motorball player who became Alita's staunchest ally during her motorball career.  He was one of the members of her challenge team that took on Jashugan."  (More about Ajakutty at http://battleangel.wikia.com/wiki/Ajakutty)  So Mark Zaror will appear in the motorball sequences in the movie.  He's #18 in the cast list on IMDB. 

Just a short rant :tongueout Seems like I'm one of those who didn't quite enjoy it as much as the rest (reviews). While it does start out quite interesting with admittedly some astonishing visuals... It didn't keep me interested enough in the characters or story which are once again for a big budget hollywood movie too shallow and paper thin. I tried to like Alita but her changing from curious cyborg to cold killing machine are just too abrupt. No time to make you care for this or that... Let's just put in another crazy CGI action scene. Talking about CGI it's also weird that obviously a lot of money and effort went into it but especially Iron City looks pretty bland. I mean it's supposedly a huge scrapyard full of criminals, bounty hunters and a mix of different cultures and people trying to make ends meet one way or another but that never gets across. It's an OK and at times thrilling experience but overall it just didn't make me care about its world or main protagonist. But hey at the end of the day that's just a personal opinion :rofl

legendarycurry

I saw this in cinemas a few days ago. I thought it was decent, not great but an entertaining enough popcorn flick. I found the CGI on Alita quite impressive as it avoided the uncanny valley which was unexpected.

On 1/19/2019 at 10:26 AM, whitesnake said:

IMDB and Wikipedia list Mark Zaror as playing Ajakutty, "a Second League motorball player who became Alita's staunchest ally during her motorball career.  He was one of the members of her challenge team that took on Jashugan."  (More about Ajakutty at http://battleangel.wikia.com/wiki/Ajakutty)  So Mark Zaror will appear in the motorball sequences in the movie.  He's #18 in the cast list on IMDB. 

Yes that's true. I haven't seen the film, but Marko mentioned it to me in an interview for Savage Dog that he had an incredible time making it.

Id have to agree with the three reviews above me. I enjoyed it for the most part, but dont feel like I have too much to say about it beyond that. 

The lower city could have been more exquisite and shown on a bigger scale. 

I found the brginning really cringy between the naivety of the protagonist, big eyes, childlike nature, corny intro to the city, uncomfortable fake father-daughter dynamic, as well as teen show-esque muser that Alita instantly falls in love with. Why Alita would instantly fall in love with the first boy she sees and just soon after feel 100% loyal to I found silly. The beginning did feel like I was watching a tv show or kids movie, similar to how I would have imagined Mortal Engines to feel (still need to see).

The movie picks up for me once Alita finds an advanced body and looks out from the rooftop with her love interest at the city above theirs.

Overall just wasnt a big fan of the actor chosen to play Alita or big-eyed presentation she received. 

Id still be interested in seeing a sequel as well as the anime adaption. This seemed like it had to be one of the better written mangas, or else a bunch of cliche sci-fi plots were mashed into one, not sure which. Found it very interesting that Rodriguez directed this as it is reminiscent of his Spy Kids trilogy, which I think are great.

Archived