The Kung Fu Forum Guide to Classic Kung Fu

DrNgor

Well, I've spent the past couple of months compiling reviews from this forum and other places, mainly defunct websites, in order to make my own Leonard Maltin-esque guide to old school movies. I now have gotten as much as I'd like to get, with the final product being a good 501 pages in length. This is a personal project and reflects no desire on my part to profit from the writing of others. That said, I'd like to make it available here for anyone who might be interested.

Here's the file in PDF format, if you're curious.

The Kung Fu Fandom Guide to Classic Kung Fu.pdf

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 19
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Fist of the Heavenly Sky

I can already tell you've put quite a lot of work into compiling this. Congrats! Do you plan on updating it every now and then? Perhaps the start of something even bigger?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

I'm definitely impressed :) Great job!

Thanks! I actually tried to find stuff from the old Kung Fu Cinema website, but for some reason it's not accessible via the Wayback Machine (at least when I tried).

5 hours ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

Do you plan on updating it every now and then? Perhaps the start of something even bigger?

I'm not sure. I've considered doing a Volume 2 later on down the line. If that volume were to deal with all the other old school movies I didn't include, I'd probably have to spend a couple of years watching them so that a review of it might exist...or post the little on a thread and we all could whittle it down in a group effort. 

Much easier than that would be do tackle HK action movies made after the old school era up through 1999, prior to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon becoming a game-changer.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Well, I've spent the past couple of months compiling reviews from this forum and other places, mainly defunct websites, in order to make my own Leonard Maltin-esque guide to old school movies. I now have gotten as much as I'd like to get, with the final product being a good 501 pages in length. This is a personal project and reflects no desire on my part to profit from the writing of others. That said, I'd like to make it available here for anyone who might be interested.

Does this mean we wont be doing a book signing tour?:speechless

Impressive work @DrNgor, there's enough reading there, to keep someone busy until the next holiday season.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CoolBlackKnight said:

Great work... Impressive!

Thanks!

On 05/12/2017 at 4:57 PM, panku said:

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Don't mention it! :)

On 05/12/2017 at 4:56 PM, DragonClaws said:

Impressive work @DrNgor, there's enough reading there, to keep someone busy until the next holiday season.

Let's see how much your To-Watch List expands now...

• Like 3

15 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Let's see how much your To-Watch List expands now...

My wallet just burst into flames at the sight of the first page.

• Like 4

• Administrator
On 12/4/2017 at 8:27 PM, DrNgor said:

Here's the file in PDF format, if you're curious.

The Kung Fu Fandom Guide to Classic Kung Fu.pdf

A very interesting project, but... and I hate to be negative- but why wouldn't you include the names of the people that wrote the reviews? I find this to be a terrible disservice to everyone whose reviews are included. I just don't get it.

• Like 5

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
37 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

A very interesting project, but... and I hate to be negative- but why wouldn't you include the names of the people that wrote the reviews? I find this to be a terrible disservice to everyone whose reviews are included. I just don't get it.

I can only speak for myself, but crediting would only make sense if the original reviewer was posting by his real name, which is hardly ever the case. Not much sense including a username, especially if it's from a defunct blog.

Maybe DrNgor could've included the website links from where the review(s) originally hailed from, even if said site is defunct.

I certainly don't mind that my handle wasn't included alongside the Big Boss review/essay. It's not like I conceived it for any other reason besides engaging in a hobby, but that's just me.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

I can only speak for myself, but crediting would only make sense if the original reviewer was posting by his real name, which is hardly ever the case. Not much sense including a username, especially if it's from a defunct blog.

Maybe DrNgor could've included the website links from where the review(s) originally hailed from, even if said site is defunct.

I certainly don't mind that my handle wasn't included alongside the Big Boss review/essay. It's not like I conceived it for any other reason besides engaging in a hobby, but that's just me.

Well, I'm glad you aren't bothered by it, but I disagree.

If a person "signed" it, whether with their real name or an alias, it should've been included.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

find this to be a terrible disservice to everyone whose reviews are included. I just don't get it.

This is a project that original intended to be something that I'd print out and keep at my own reading disposal. It was when I was further along that I decided to share it. By then, I had amassed enough that I didn't feel like going back checking each and every review to determine who wrote what.

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
2 minutes ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

I guess I'm an exception to the rule (http://cityonfire.com/author/paul-bramhall/).:tongueout  In 2017 I'd actually argue that no one writes under monikers anymore outside of forums, the thought of having a fake name credited for something you'd put a lot of effort into doesn't really make sense to me.

For me, I get that it was a personal project for @DrNgor, so the credit thing isn't such a biggie.  I would like to see who wrote the reviews though purely because I tend to agree more with some reviewers opinions than others, so for me who wrote it is a big part of how much I'd be influenced to watch (or not watch) the movie in question.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, DrNgor said:

This is a project that original intended to be something that I'd print out and keep at my own reading disposal. It was when I was further along that I decided to share it. By then, I had amassed enough that I didn't feel like going back checking each and every review to determine who wrote what.

Uh huh, but I still don't understand, even if it were just for you, why you'd exclude the reviewer's names. And now you have decided to share it...

1 minute ago, One Armed Boxer said:

For me, I get that it was a personal project for @DrNgor, so the credit thing isn't such a biggie.  I would like to see who wrote the reviews though purely because I tend to agree more with some reviewers opinions than others, so for me who wrote it is a big part of how much I'd be influenced to watch (or not watch) the movie in question.

Yes.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

and I hate to be negative- but why wouldn't you include the names of the people that wrote the reviews?

I think the people who wrote each review should be credited, by name or alias, if you put something out on the internet, that includes others work.

• Like 2

If you give me a few months--I need to finish another project first--I can make a Table of Contents and include the author there.

• Like 4

On 09/12/2017 at 5:03 PM, DrNgor said:

If you give me a few months--I need to finish another project first--I can make a Table of Contents and include the author there.

Sounds like a good idea.

I've not had the time to have a really close look at the PDF book, but if it features writing from fans here, they should be credited as the authors, of what-ever they have written.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Okay, here's the version 1.1, which has a Table of Contents listing all the films reviewed (920 films total). Stay tuned for version 2.0, which will have the authors credited (albeit, it'll take a little while).

Any write-up's from the Mutual Monthly Review Thread get used @DrNgor

• Like 2

On 08/01/2018 at 10:23 PM, DrNgor said:

Stay tuned for version 2.0, which will have the authors credited (albeit, it'll take a little while).

Hows the 2.0 version going @DrNgor?.

• Like 2