'FATAL NEEDLES FATAL FIST (1980)' Fan Restoration Project

TheKungFuRobber

One Armed Boxer
55 minutes ago, TheKungFuRobber said:

Well time for another update. So, it is with regret that I must inform you, as it turns out that the VHS transfer from thuglife that I thought to be 2:35.1 is cropped and not 2:35.1, as well as being of truly shit quality, and is actually also cut by about 40 second. Given the poor quality of the transfer, it will not be going on my DVD anymore.

Sorry folks, I'm actually embarrassed. I had only had a small glance at the VHS transfer and due to my poor vision I never noticed. The only real advantage to having the print is it does have French hardsubs, so if anyone wants me to write French subtitles for the custom DVD please let me know.

So does this mean that you'll still be releasing your restored full screen version, or is the project off the cards all together?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheKungFuRobber
3 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

So does this mean that you'll still be releasing your restored full screen version, or is the project off the cards all together?

Yeah, I'll still be releasing the restored full-screen version. I'll just have to try and make up for the disappointment somehow. I'm considering moving the release date forward to December 26th too. All the other special features, such as the Mandarin audio dub, Wong Tao Interview, promotional video, audio commentaries, English subtitles, extra fries, salad and dip will still be included with the DVD. Batteries not included.

TheKungFuRobber

While I'm working on writing the English subtitle script for 'FATAL NEEDLES FATAL FISTS', I decided to revisit an old custom project I put together a couple years ago, which I feel I could have done a lot better. I will also be re-releasing a new edition of my 'SNAKE FIST FIGHTER\MASTER WITH CRACKED FINGERS' custom DVD, adding additional features including the promised 2nd disc with the original 1973 version of the film. Here's a new prototype of the cover I put together earlier.

dvd_template_lights_film_school copy.jpg

TheKungFuRobber

Little update: I'm going to be releasing a custom DVD of "Bandits, Prostitutes and Silver" alongside my Fatal Needles Fatal Fists custom, as I felt that it deserved to be released alongside Fatal Needles being a very closely related movie and thus a perfect accompaniment, this will be offered on disc as a double feature set. Each physical will be priced at £20 each or £30 for both of them as a set, and will include the complete film on a high quality Verbatim AZO DVD-R DL with extensive testing and verification. Both should be available to order before March if all goes to plan. Below is the cover for the Bandits DVD. Stocks will be limited as these are intended for serious fans and not bootleggers over at FLK, as my friends from the former Houndslowteam know all too well.

DVD Cover Final.jpg

TheKungFuRobber
2 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

What print does Bandits, Prostitutes and Silver come from?

Crash Masters Letterbox version, which is cut. I'd like to reconstruct the longer version.

I don't know but maybe you should finish one project instead of doing many and the same time :) just my opinion...

One Armed Boxer
On 02/01/2018 at 10:36 PM, TheKungFuRobber said:

Each physical will be priced at £20 each or £30 for both of them as a set, and will include the complete film on a high quality Verbatim AZO DVD-R DL with extensive testing and verification.

I'm all for these projects, but just so you don't set yourself up for a fail, I think it's safe to say that the days when people would splash down £20 - £30 (around $25 - $45) for a DVD-R are long gone. If those are really the prices you're going to be asking for, it would need to be a Blu-ray as a minimum. It's probably worth checking out what similar fan groups are charging to get a realistic idea of what people are willing to pay - HK Rescue charge $12 (£8 - £9) a Blu-ray, while ZinemaXploitation charge €20 (£17 - £18) also for Blu-ray.

TheKungFuRobber

4 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I'm all for these projects, but just so you don't set yourself up for a fail, I think it's safe to say that the days when people would splash down £20 - £30 (around $25 - $45) for a DVD-R are long gone. If those are really the prices you're going to be asking for, it would need to be a Blu-ray as a minimum. It's probably worth checking out what similar fan groups are charging to get a realistic idea of what people are willing to pay - HK Rescue charge $12 (£8 - £9) a Blu-ray, while ZinemaXploitation charge €20 (£17 - £18) also for Blu-ray.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I should probably drop my prices. After all, you can probably easilly obtain a perfectly watchable Fullscreen DVD of Fatal Needles for maybe 50p in some bargain bin at a local charity shop, so who would pay 40x that amount just for Mandarin audio, subtitles and better picture quality? 

Archived