Films with throws and bone breaking fight scenes

LoBo

I want to see films with various throwing techniques and bone breaking fight scenes. Like breaking fingers and arms. I mean similar to Steven Seagals fight scenes. I don't want films by him. I have all his good films already. I bought My Beloved Bodyguard. I know that one has the mentioned things, though 2 fight scenes. 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's the infamous fight in Tom Yung Goong (aka The Protector) where Tony Jaa breaks the bones of about 30 bad guys.

I vaguely recall both Danny the Dog/Unleashed and Kiss of the Dragon having more bone-breaks than your average Jet Li film.

On 11/23/2017 at 7:20 AM, LoBo said:

I want to see films with various throwing techniques and bone breaking fight scenes. Like breaking fingers and arms. I mean similar to Steven Seagals fight scenes. I don't want films by him. I have all his good films already. I bought My Beloved Bodyguard. I know that one has the mentioned things, though 2 fight scenes. 

One movie that I can recommend is Excessive Force (1993), starring Thomas Ian Griffith (Vampires), James Earl Jones, Lance Henriksen, and Burt Young. This Martial Arts star has largely been forgotten by fans, but he was as capable screen fighter as 90's stars Seagal and Van Damme. This is perhaps is best Martial Arts movie, with some Steven Seagal style action, without making the star look like a cheap copy of the tall guy. The style of action, should fit what you are looking for.

Sure there's other movies that fit the bill, but I just cant recall any other at the moment.

I started a thread on actor Thomas Ian Griffith, which was deleted during last years technical black-out. Need to re-post it sometime before the New Year, along with a number of other mini profiles.

3 minutes ago, LoBo said:

I see. I have the DVD somewhere. I seem to remember it was ok.

One of the best American made Martial Arts movies, but thats just my opinion.

One Armed Boxer
22 minutes ago, LoBo said:

Yes. I heard Rise of the legend wasn't so good?

That impression may have come from my post here, but I clocked out after 20 minutes, so you may want to check out the whole movie for yourself.

For a movie that's literally full of throws (Judo throws, to be specific), you can't go wrong with Johnnie To's 'Throw Down' from 2004, a movie which I love -

I saw excessive force for a while. Just as a remembered it. A poor film with poor fight scenes in my opinion. Just kicking and punching. No Steven Seagal like fight scenes. 

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
On 11/23/2017 at 3:19 PM, LoBo said:

Yes. I heard Rise of the legend wasn't so good?

On 11/23/2017 at 3:46 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

That impression may have come from my post here, but I clocked out after 20 minutes, so you may want to check out the whole movie for yourself.

It's not a bad movie, but outside of the fighting sequences, there is nothing special about it at all. The story and characters in particular are painfully undeveloped.

26 minutes ago, LoBo said:

I saw excessive force for a while. Just as a remembered it. A poor film with poor fight scenes in my opinion. Just kicking and punching. No Steven Seagal like fight scenes. 

Each to their own, I thought the fights had some Seagal infleunce, with the wrist and arms breaks etc.

For me,the movie holds up with the 90's Seagal/Van Damme movies.

At the risk of being laughed off the forum, Vince Vaughn just headlined a great little brutal indie flick called Brawl In Cell Block 99. It's more of a slow burn character piece so don't go into it expecting action as there's maybe ten minutes or less of it, but when it happens, my goodness do you feel it!

1 hour ago, SamSeed said:

At the risk of being laughed off the forum, Vince Vaughn just headlined a great little brutal indie flick called Brawl In Cell Block 99.

Actor and Martial Artist Scott Adkins, praised this movie on his FaceBook page.

When I read Vaughn's name, I just think of bad Hollywood comedies.

On 27/11/2017 at 4:00 PM, DragonClaws said:

Actor and Martial Artist Scott Adkins, praised this movie on his FaceBook page.

When I read Vaughn's name, I just think of bad Hollywood comedies.

I didn't know that, high praise indeed! And yes me too, haven't enjoyed a Vaughn film since Swingers, but I took a punt and it's totally against type for him, all for the better, I might even go so far as to say career defining, despite it's B movie trappings, give it a go when you have the chance.

• Administrator

KILLING MACHINE (1975, Japan, aka. Shaolin Martial Arts / Shorinji Kenpo) starring Sonny Chiba.

NINJA 2: SHADOW OF A TEAR (2013, aka. Ninja: Shadow of a Tear / Ninja 2) starring Scott Adkins.

On 11/23/2017 at 4:20 AM, LoBo said:

I have soooo many of those. I tried to send you a message so I didn’t write a huge list. But when I get home I’ll mention them

22 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

KILLING MACHINE (1975, Japan, aka. Shaolin Martial Arts / Shorinji Kenpo) starring Sonny Chiba.

NINJA 2: SHADOW OF A TEAR (2013, aka. Ninja: Shadow of a Tear / Ninja 2) starring Scott Adkins.

I have the Sonny Chiba film, but I don't remember anything from it. What does ninja 2 have? I saw the first one. Wasn't so impressed. 

21 hours ago, KCN9NE said:

I have soooo many of those. I tried to send you a message so I didn’t write a huge list. But when I get home I’ll mention them

Good

• Administrator
1 hour ago, LoBo said:

I have the Sonny Chiba film, but I don't remember anything from it. What does ninja 2 have? I saw the first one. Wasn't so impressed. 

Good

Then you should definitely rewatch it. KILLING MACHINE has what you were asking for, plus, all-around, it's one of Chiba's best films.

NINA was just okay. NINJA 2 is vastly better and features all kinds of great fighting. If I remember correctly, there's some bone-breaking and throws in it.

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
1 hour ago, LoBo said:

I have the Sonny Chiba film, but I don't remember anything from it.

If you're interested, @Takuma (Who probably has more suggestions to make in regards to the topic) and I made our own retrospectives on the movie. Check them out in Here and Here. But to the point: Yes, there's lots of bone cracking in the movie. :wink

13 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Then you should definitely rewatch it. KILLING MACHINE has what you were asking for, plus, all-around, it's one of Chiba's best films.

NINA was just okay. NINJA 2 is vastly better and features all kinds of great fighting. If I remember correctly, there's some bone-breaking and throws in it.

Great. 

12 hours ago, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

If you're interested, @Takuma (Who probably has more suggestions to make in regards to the topic) and I made our own retrospectives on the movie. Check them out in Here and Here. But to the point: Yes, there's lots of bone cracking in the movie. :wink

Good to hear

On 29.11.2017 at 2:38 AM, KCN9NE said:

On 30.11.2017 at 1:56 AM, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

Any more suggestions?

Archived