Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (2018) - Eddie Redmayne, Jude Law, Johnny Depp, Ezra Miller

AlbertV

MV5BMTYwOTk2OTY1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDI5

The sequel to Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them has evil wizard Gellert Grindelwald (Johnny Depp) escaping custody and setting off to find followers (which will include David Sakurai of Karate Kill, Echoes of a Ronin, and Iron Fist) and future Hogswart Academy leader Albus Dumbledore (Jude Law) enlists his former student Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne) to help him get Grindelwald back.

J.K. Rowling wrote the screenplay with David Yates returning to helm the film. The film comes out on November 16, 2018.

MV5BMjMwNDM0Njc4OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjc0

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

How come Grindelwald, Percival Graves, and Dumbledore look so similar?

Jk, but funny how the three were cast to play the same character in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, in the unfortunate replacement of Ledger. Youd think Terry Gilliam directed this as well.

Scheduled to see this later!

F5BDDFB3-492E-4CF4-BAB7-2C62906B4A6C.jpeg

• Like 1

Never got around to reviewing this, but my thoughts were probably near as bad as some of the worst reviews. I say "were" because I saw it a second time and after already knowing what I despised about it, I was able to enjoy the better aspects of it. 

Everything they did wrong with the first film that youd have thought theyd improve and steer better into future installments were turned completely worse and proved that this franchise wasnt to be taken as seriously as its preceeding franchise.

Johnny Depp looks intimidating and great in this movie, one of the more redeeming aspects about the film. Jude Law's on screen look and mannerisms dont fit in line with Dumbledore to any extent. Delivering one-liners as if acting as a cocky Marvel-esque jokster instead a wise and powerful wizard. Not sure why he looks more like Dumbledore in this magazine photoshoot than on screen.

Still happy to have seen this twice in theatres and will excitedly await the remaining entries in the franchise.

Three actors, One Wizard.

image.jpeg

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 1

Fantastic Beasts 3 release date announced. Its going to take several years for them to get all 5 movies out if thats still the plan, probably by 2025 give or take.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

This is one of those movies that reminds me of THE MATRIX RELOADED (which I incidentally enjoy), where people wanted more Potterverse, and then they get it and...uh...yeah. I checked the IMDB reviews at a lot of people just savaged it. Whether or not they'll forgive its shortcomings will depend on the strength of the next film(s)' script.

I think that's the main problem: the script. It would've been better had J.K. Rowling wrote this as a 400-600 page novel and let someone else adapt *that* into the screenplay. Then they would've known how to streamline the subplots and focus on the actual conflict. As it stands, it's just a mess with lots and lots of characters to follow, and a main story thread (the origin of Credence) that turns out to be one big shaggy dog story. Without any story thread taking prominence, it's hard to build forward momentum and thus a lot of people--even fans--complained that it was boring.

It also doesn't help that Newt Scamander continues to come across as a mere observer to the events going on around him. The love story between him and Tina is pushed way into the background here, and like the first film, the most compelling part of the film is the tragic love story between Queenie and Jacob.

The first four Harry Potter films--the best ones--found the right combination of character interaction, world building, and FX-driven action. The first FANTASTIC BEASTS didn't strike that balance, putting the emphasis on CGI set pieces, with some world building and characters just reacting to things going on. This one focuses on the world building, placing the emphasis on character backgrounds rather than character interactions, which dulled the drama. I hope the next film can get that balance again.

• Like 2

Secrets of Dumbledore- dont even think we need two more at this point considering they all follow the same formula. I see too many problems with them. Think they have gradually gotten worse from the first one. still be grabbing this on blu ray or 4k and seeing the next one but still. At this point they might as well just keep grindlewald a different actor each movie, didnt even try to resemble depps character adaptation.

Worst one yet in my opinion, getting worse each installment. Think one of my biggest gripes with this series (one of many) is the aesthetic, are we in old new york or the wizarding world? I think the series caters far too heavily into this old city new york aesthetic while barely leaving a semblance of the magical world as an afterthought. This film even less than than the last forgoing wizard-esque attire. Just look at this multi-verse-esque depiction of young dumbledore, or the entire overhaul of grindlewalds look, appearing far more akin to putin or even a hitler-era person. Absolutely nothing ‘magical’ looking about these characters and many of the other ones as well. Its a shame.

• Like 2

This prequel series does such a disservice to the hp franchise that it makes the star wars prequels look god-tier. 

Most agreeable review, for me, Ive seen so far.

• Like 2