Snake In The Monkey's Shadow (1978) - music question

Magnificent Ruffian

Magnificent Ruffian

Hi everyone,

If anyone knows, could you guys tell me the name and artist of a track featured in Snake In The Monkey's Shadow?

I wonder if it's an original composition. The very same tune can be heard in many other kung-fu movies though.

https://youtu.be/Nu3Bnqk1lZc?t=409

Thanks indeed in advance.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah, used in a lot of other flicks (Tower of Death being one), so either ripped off from some Hollywood or Euro film or more likely from the DeWolfe music library.

TibetanWhiteCrane

I'm almost certain it's a DeWolfe music cue. Very short and while cool sounding, generic enough to be used again and again. Here's a link to the piece on my soundcloud.

TibetanWhiteCrane

It's not from Holy Grail. That soundtrack is more grandiose and orchestral (and used in about 50 Shaw flicks) while this piece is more on the funky side. If not DeWolfe, then mayb some blaxploitation or something.

That nstrumental appears in so many old school movies, we used to have an extensive thread for music from Fu films, set up by @ThunderScore. Another casuality from the 2016 black-out. ThunderScore, might be able to I.D the above song?, it could be from an old Spagehtti western?.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Just realised I linked to the wrong music piece.... what a dumbshit. I do have that piece somewhere though, but with five or so folders labelled HK Cinema music, it would take the better part of a week to sift through it all, since I don't know the name of it.

Magnificent Ruffian

Now that you mention spaghetti westerns, Fabio Frizzi is another possibility, thinking of his score for The Beyond.

TheKungFuRobber

I actually need to find the score for this film in order to reconstruct the original Mandarin audio. I have found the original Mandarin audio reels for Snake in the Monkey's Shadow, but with no music or sound effects, only the voices. I plan on eventually making a reconstruction of the Mandarin audio track for my custom DVD. I did contemplate having a new score commissioned for it but it just wouldn't be right.

Magnificent Ruffian

Sounds like a lovely project!

May I ask what print you're going to use for the video?

As far as I'm aware, there aren't many great quality ones unfortunately.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Germany's Asia Line label recently put this out on DVD with the english dub and it looks great. Don't really see the point in slaving away on a custom job for a movie that already has a good legit release. But hey.... I'm not the one doing it.

Archived