A Taxi Driver (2017)

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

The new movie from Kim Ki-duk's former assistant director Jang Hoon, 'A Taxi Driver' sees Hoon reunited with Song Kang-ho, the star of his 2010 movie 'Secret Reunion'.  Telling the true story of a Seoul taxi driver who transported a German journalist to Gwangju during the fateful Gwangju Massacre of May 1980, check out my review below - 

http://cityonfire.com/a-taxi-driver-2017-review-song-kang-ho-the-gwangju-massacre-thomas-kretschmann/

fullsizephoto858511.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Go USA gave A Taxi Driver a limited U.S. theatrical release on August 17, 2017, with a tentative Blu-ray and DVD release sometime in February 2018.  Rotten Tomatoes Tomatometer gave it 95% (based on 19 critics' reviews) and 89% (audience score, based on over 1,300 users).  Corrie (on his Top 10 Korean Films 2017 Youtube video) lists A Taxi Driver at #1.  "This movie has been selected as South Korea's entry into the Oscars... Such a touching and beautiful film... soul-crushing at times... uplifting... unpredictable... A Taxi Driver is one of the best South Korean films I have ever seen." 

One Armed Boxer
On 24/12/2017 at 2:54 PM, whitesnake said:

Corrie (on his Top 10 Korean Films 2017 Youtube video) lists A Taxi Driver at #1.  "This movie has been selected as South Korea's entry into the Oscars... Such a touching and beautiful film... soul-crushing at times... uplifting... unpredictable... A Taxi Driver is one of the best South Korean films I have ever seen." 

I confess to not being overly familiar with Corrie's output (I have an allergy to YouTube reviewers), however for him to state that this is "one of the best Korean films I have ever seen", for me indicates he likely hasn't seen all that many. A good movie yes. One of the greatest Korea has ever made? Definitely not.

Well Go USA will release A Taxi Driver on Blu-ray on April 17, 2018.  It is available for pre-order on Amazon.  News from   http://cityonfire.com/you-talkin-to-song-kang-hos-taxi-driver/   18 Amazon reviewers give it 5 stars, the other reviewer gives it 4 stars.  18 out of 19 film reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes rate it "fresh".  Only one "rotten" review.  

Archived