Shogun's Shadow

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Just watched this last weekend for the first time. Have to give it two thumbs up. The story wasnt as strong or complex as I usually expect from a Samurai film, but the abundant action scenes made up for it. Not to say the story wasnt engaging, just not as much as Im used to. There were plenty of top notch sword fights, and even a little KF thrown in for good measure. The final duel between Ogata and Chiba was the highlight. Running and fighting all over the villiage,on the rooftops, crashing through walls and floorboards, ect...good stuff! Many thanks to Adness for their efforts in finally bringing us these classics on DVD. Next up (8/2), Swords Of Vengeance(Fall of Ako Castle), directed by Kinji Fukusaku and starring Chiba and Mifune.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Knockabout

Very cool movie.. One of my favorite japanese flix, lots of action, blood and stunts. But if you are fond of horses, don't watch this.. Stunts with horses are pretty common in japanese movies, but this one just have too many :eek

Can anyone recommend any similar movies?

Guest kungfusamurai

I thought it was alright. The feel wasn't the same as the classic chambara. The action was pretty good. Mind you, I watched it before I got into the Sonny Chiba style of swordplay choreography, so I gotta give it another look.

KFS

Guest Jushinshin

The movie went for more of a Hollywoodized action adventure style, but Chiba and Ogata were tons of fun, and the guy who was the mute monk was also excellent. Check him out in Martial Arts of Shaolin, Yellow River Fighter, and Kids from Shaolin.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Not even close to being as bloody as LW&C. This one is heavy on the action, but not much gore. Totally different style of action as well.

Archived