Lethal Weapon 5: Return of Riggs & Murtaugh to The Big Screen?

DragonClaws

According the site Film Combat Syndicate, Warner Brothers might be dusting off the Lethal Weapon franchsie. Mel Gibson, Danny Glover and Richard Donner ae all rumoured to be on board with the idea, no word on Joe Pesci's involvment yet.

For more on the story, click on the link below.

Link- http://filmcombatsyndicate.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/lethal-weapon-5-is-in-works-gibson.html

Lethal-Weapon-Cast-Reunion-Video-Mel-Gib

• Like 2

I really enjoy the series, as it's one of my favorites of all time. I know in the long run that if it were to happen, Riggs will die in the end (like the original script for Lethal Weapon 2). The TV show is good enough by me if they decide not to do it. I just think it's a bit unfortunate that it won't come to life, but it's not over just yet. 

On 10/30/2017 at 7:55 PM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Also, did he not hear the Gibson/Grigorieva tapes?

To tell you the truth, I honestly couldn't careless what he said. People are still dwindling over this, but yet we're supposed to praise Mike Tyson for being in all these movies.

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane

Well, it was mainly meant as a joke. And I ain't praising Mike Tyson for anything. I don't wanna see him try to act and avoided Ip Man 3 mostly cuz of him and his ridiculous character. Don't care about his rape case, he served his time. I just think he's a crap actor.

• Like 2

For some reason, Gibson seems to have been forgiven for his transgressions. Granted, he didn't do anything illegal (although, it's obvious he's guilty of some form of abuse) but he's one of the few that have gone unscathed in Hollywood. He seems to have bounced back.
Weirdly, I'm kind of glad. He's a massive piece of shit by a like him a lot as an actor and director. It seems like his next film will be a sequel to "The Passion of Christ" so "Lethal Weapon 5" will, I presume, be put back on the shelf until he's ready. In all honesty, I'm not sure whether it will ever get made.

• Like 2

Yeah I just know that if it does come out, I probably cant watch it if Riggs and/or Murtaugh dies in the end. 

Anyways, anyone think theyll release the directors cut for the first three on blu ray, even though Richard Donner prefers to keep it at the theatrical versions?

• Like 1

The film, which was set to be called Lethal Finale, is most likely not happening now.

http://www.slashfilm.com/lethal-weapon-5-dead/

Richard Donner:
“I’m ready to do 5. It’s called Lethal Finale. It’s very dark. And we were all set to go and now Warner Bros. is doing their old-fashioned tricks. Not Warner Bros., there’s this guy who runs the studio who’s great but they have these people in the legal department who do the negotiating in the most counter-productive way. They should be sent to a studio and work with the producers and directors and actors, and learn what makes a film, and then negotiate. But it’s just embarrassing.”

• Like 3

It's in development. Producer Dan Lin dropped the bomb, and both Mel Gibson and Danny Glover along with Richard Donner are interested. But it all depends on the script. (Should Shane Black, who created the original film, go full circle and write the final installment?)

https://www.joblo.com/movie-news/gibson-glover-and-richard-donner-are-coming-back-for-lethal-weapon-5

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! Lethal Weapon 4 was a perfectly fine way to end the series with a great villain. They don't need to milk any more money out of the franchise.

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane

First one was watchable, the rest were absolute fecal matter... just kept getting worse. Also, isn't Donner like a hundred or something?

• Like 1

I love this series but they were pushing it with 4, and surely the Jet Li fight can't be matched now! I mean it stretched credibility then!

Edited by SamSeed
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Also, isn't Donner like a hundred or something?

Holy shit, he's 89. I'm surprised he still has it in him. Plus, he hasn't directed a film since 2006's questionable 16 Blocks.

• Like 3

On 1/29/2020 at 12:21 PM, Drunken Monk said:

Holy shit, he's 89. I'm surprised he still has it in him. Plus, he hasn't directed a film since 2006's questionable 16 Blocks.

Sad news....Richard Donner passed away today at the age of 91. :(

https://nypost.com/2021/07/05/richard-donner-superman-the-goonies-director-dead-at-91/

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I think the most suitable guy to the continue the film series one last time would be none other than Shane Black. He wrote the script to the first movie, and was brought back for the second movie creating what was supposed to be a darker and more violent sequel, with Martin Riggs killed off. Shane's original script got ditched by the producers resulting in him leaving the production and his script re-written several times by Jeffrey Boam.

• Like 4

Mel Gibson is currently in talks to direct this movie. More details here.

I know Gibson is a confirmed shit head (though a lot of that may have stemmed from substance abuse), but he's a bloody good director. I liked most of the films he's helmed so far. He's proven he can do a variety of action too. ApocalyptoBraveheart and Hacksaw Ridge had solid action sequences. Hopefully, he can include some good set pieces in the final Lethal Weapon film.

• Like 4