Help with a few Samurai Classics!

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Looking to expand my classic Samurai film collection. Need your reviews or recommendations on the following films:

-Demon Spies

-Shadow Hunters (Kage Gari) 1&2

-Secret Of The Urn (Tange Sazen?)

-Samurai Wolf 1&2

-Wicked Priest (Wakayama is always worth a look)+

Any help is appreciated!!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kungfusamurai

Where did you find Samurai Wolf 2? I've only seen 1 kicking about. Wicked Priest - you're talking about 3-5? I haven't seen 1 and 2 anywhere.

I haven't seen Secret of The Urn. I've heard mixed reviews. I'm not a fan of Kinnosuke whatever-his-given-name-was-at-the-time.

Shadow Hunters 1 I still have yet to finish. I found it boring. Haven't seen 2 kicking around.

I can only highly recommend Samurai Wolf and the Wicked Priest film. For WP, there isn't the same number of fight scenes like in the Lone Wolf & Cub series, but what fighting there is, Wakayama is his usual awesome self.

KFS

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Hey KFS, is Wicked Priest a movie series or a TV series? Which of the ones youve seen is the best? Would like to watch one to see if I like it before shellin out more cash on something I dont. And as far as Samurai Wolf 2 is concerned, I have only actually seen part 1 available as well. Just figured Id see if it was worth tracking down in the first place. The little info I was able to find on Shadow Hunters made it sound very promising. Apparently based on stories wriiten by the author of the LW&C series.? Group of Ronin hunting down Ninjas, and filled with "ultra-violent" action like LW&C. Is that info I read accurate at all? Thx for the help.

Guest KClosson

Anything directed by Hideo Gosha is worth watching. Samurai Wolf 2 is worth hunting down, but you will not find it with subtitles right now; like Samurai Wolf 1 the copy I have was taken from television. Secret of the Urn is considered one of the best of the Tange Sazen movies (keep in mind the Tange Sazen character has been in about 50 movies and tv series the last I counted a few years ago).

The Shadow Hunters movies and Demon Spies (aka Oniwaban) are based on the manga by Koike Kazuo. I am not really a fan of these movies so it is probably better for someone who likes them to comment. I would not consider them in the same league as the LW&C movies even though the story comes from the same author.

The Wicked Priest movies are good and have good humor too. They are set in the Meiji era around 1900-ish or so about twenty years after the end of the samurai. Although there were five made you will only find #3-5 if you search around.

KC

Guest kungfusamurai

I'd like to also add that Demon Spies, Shadow Hunters 1 and 2 are being released by Animeigo this year. So don't waste your money on boots! :)

KFS

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I believe "Demon Spies" was already released on 8/9/05 by Animeigo. Is this it : Demon Spies

And where can I get ahold of copies of "Samurai Wolf" & the "Wicked Priest" films without taking out a second mortgage?? Ive seen em on ebay, anywhere else?

Guest kungfusamurai
I believe "Demon Spies" was already released on 8/9/05 by Animeigo. Is this it : Demon Spies

How about that. I thought it was getting released later. I haven't seen it. Is it better than the first film?

And where can I get ahold of copies of "Samurai Wolf" & the "Wicked Priest" films without taking out a second mortgage?? Ive seen em on ebay, anywhere else?

That's how I got mine. Perhaps someone like Home Vision will put them out?

KFS

Guest limubai2000

HVE just got bought out and apparently disolved so sayeth the mighty Twitchfilm.net -

R.I.P. HVE

This is bad, bad news for international film fans ...

Word surfaced a little while back that Home Vision Entertainment had been bought by Image Entertainment but the full consequences of the deal were not known at the time. They are now. HVE is gone. Completely. It will no longer exist as an imprint or distributor and most of the staff will be laid off. The one spot of good news is that this will in no way affect operations at The Criterion Collection, who were distributed by HVE. Image has re-upped the Criterion distribution deal until 2010 and you have to assume that the Criterion contract was what they were really after in buying the company.

All the details are at Masters of Cinema.

Guest kungfusamurai

That's too bad. I recall Image at one point did distribute or manufacture Criterion titles. I don't know if they're big on foreign films beyond the Bava horror films. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. They aren't any cheaper than Home Vision's prices, so that probably won't change.

KFS

Guest Daisho2004

The best places to get some of these movies is from SamuraiDVD or another guy named CK, now a few of the titles you requested are being released on DVD I just got Demon Spies good movie.

Shadow Hunters pt.1 I've seen Great movie can't wait for pt.2

Secret Of The Urn (Tange Sazen?) Really good also.

Samurai Wolf pt.1 I've also seen really good waiting to get pt.2

Wicked Priest I've seen one of them it was good.

But if you want a GREAT series with Wakayama get The Mute Samurai I got the 1st. 5Vols. from Merlin over at SamuraiDVD Great TV series each vol. contains 2 shows total is 1 1/2hrs. a must have for any fan of him.

Daisho2004

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Thanks Daisho, I just got the Mute Samurai vol. 1-5 last week and have just started watching, its pretty good so far. I have looked over at SamuraiDVD.com and I know he does great work, but its hard to bring myself to pay 40$ FOR A DVD-r. I have done buisness with CK many times and will check with him for some of those tiltes as well. Ive narrowed it down to Samuai Wolf and Wicked Priest for my next additions, thx for the feedback. And of course Harakiri this tuesday (8/23)!!

Guest Daisho2004

GwaiLoMoFo, if you join us over at NinjaDojo the other message board, when you order from Merlin he gives us a nice discount on his movies, lots of time his newer releases are $20-plus free shipping just for mentioning NinjaDojo, and his other movies are just $30. and he has some of the best movies that are really hard to find, and since he Sub-T's them himself you really can't complain, I got Zatoichi #14 the missing one from him Great Copy, for $20. I belong to both sites, and NinjaDojo really has a lot of Guys there who know there stuff about Samurai Films.

Daisho2004

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Ive been over to the NinjaDojo forum before, and posted a few times as well. I started checking it out once alot of the "reugulars" here left because of the "boot" bashing. I havent been through there in a while though, I gotta check in more often. Hows the Samurai Film Club working out anyway?? I was interested in getting in on that action. Thanks again for the feedback Daisho.

Guest Daisho2004

GwaiLoMoFo, to be honest with you I really don't get into the Samurai Film Club stuff so I can't really answer that one for you. But it gets a lot of posts so it must be doing good, this site here is good for a lot of info on KungFu movies New & Old, but for Samurai info the Dojo is the place for all you Answers.

Daisho2004

Archived