Ip Man TV Series (2013)

whitesnake

"Ip Man is a 2013 Chinese television series romanticising the life of Ip Man... Directed by Fan Xiaotian, the series starred Hong Kong actor Kevin Cheng as the title character."  The cast also included Yu Rongguang, Yuen Wah and Bruce Leung.  Wilson Yip was an artistic consultant, and his 2 sons served as martial arts consultants.  The series aired on Shandong TV in 2013.  (Wikipedia)

Cinedigm Entertainment released Ip Man: Season 1 on Blu-ray and DVD on October 10, 2017.  5 discs, in Chinese language (I assume with English subtitles, since Cinedigm is headquartered in L.A.).  It's available on Amazon.  

The German trailer for the series is on Youtube - 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this series fight-heavy? Does anyone know? I'm swaying between picking this up or "God of War" (the Vincent Zhao film). If this series is pretty action-packed, I think I might go for it. Insight anyone?

54 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Is this series fight-heavy? Does anyone know? I'm swaying between picking this up or "God of War" (the Vincent Zhao film). If this series is pretty action-packed, I think I might go for it. Insight anyone?

I haven't seen the series, but ordered it off Amazon this week.  There are no Amazon reviews posted yet.  Hope the following helps with your decision -

Online reviews -

Short positive review here (July 31, 2013) -

http://asianpopnews.com/kevin-chengs-ip-man-receives-positive-reviews/

But the reviewer at www.asiaone.com is not so positive (July 13, 2013):

"Cheng, at 43, is handsome leading-man material, so casting a big-name star like him was a smart move by the producers. But as he does not have a martial- arts background, the show loses credibility on its gongfu aspect.  Unlike Yen's films which focus on fighting, this TV show - which premieres on Saturday - focuses on the tender relationship between Ip Man and wife Cheung Wing Sing (played by Cecilia Han).  But this is a martial-arts show after all, and the fact that Cheng can't fight proves to be his stumbling block.  The show's determination to explore each scene thoroughly means pacing is sluggish and draggy.  Word has it that Cheng pocketed seven million yuan (S$1.1 million) to act in Ip Man. Plans for a sequel are in the pipeline, with him set to reprise his role.  Let's hope the fat pay cheque will inspire him to take the time to brush up on his fighting skills."

9 hours ago, rdenn said:

loads of action in this and a great cast but the lead actor is not that good but everyone else is 

Thanks rdenn. I was hoping there would be a lot of action, especially since other reviews focused on the romance. I think I might pick it up after all.

On 10/26/2017 at 12:00 PM, whitesnake said:

Cinedigm Entertainment released Ip Man: Season 1 on Blu-ray and DVD on October 10, 2017.  5 discs, in Chinese language (I assume with English subtitles, since Cinedigm is headquartered in L.A.).  It's available on Amazon.  

Yeah I just found out this show got a US blu-ray release according to this (and I just saw it at my local Best-buy).  I'm very surprised this got a blu-ray release, I mean why didn't the US distributor talked to Dramafever, Viki, or Asian Crush to have this show stream instead of blu-ray release in the US.  Korean dramas are able to do well in the US, so maybe that show could've worked well on streaming site.  I don't see this show on Netflix (I searched on Netflix, can't find it at all).

Just to let you know, Dramafever and Viki already has some TV dramas from Mainland China like this one called Memory Lost, and another one called The King's Woman, and I saw this on Viki called Princess Agents.  All of these shows I mentioned got a lot of positive reviews from non-Asian audiences and yes putting it online on streaming sites can really help a lot.  I don't understand why they didn't thought about putting Ip Man TV drama on those streaming sites instead of a blu-ray release.  We've seen how Korean TV dramas fare well on streaming sites, then Ip Man TV drama could've gotten more audiences if you put it on streaming sites like Dramafever, Viki, etc...         

On 11/6/2017 at 4:30 AM, mdo7 said:

Yeah I just found out this show got a US blu-ray release according to this (and I just saw it at my local Best-buy).  I'm very surprised this got a blu-ray release, I mean why didn't the US distributor talked to Dramafever, Viki, or Asian Crush to have this show stream instead of blu-ray release in the US.  Korean dramas are able to do well in the US, so maybe that show could've worked well on streaming site.  I don't see this show on Netflix (I searched on Netflix, can't find it at all).

Just to let you know, Dramafever and Viki already has some TV dramas from Mainland China like this one called Memory Lost, and another one called The King's Woman, and I saw this on Viki called Princess Agents.  All of these shows I mentioned got a lot of positive reviews from non-Asian audiences and yes putting it online on streaming sites can really help a lot.  I don't understand why they didn't thought about putting Ip Man TV drama on those streaming sites instead of a blu-ray release.  We've seen how Korean TV dramas fare well on streaming sites, then Ip Man TV drama could've gotten more audiences if you put it on streaming sites like Dramafever, Viki, etc...         

Probably because it's a few years old, they mightn't have been able to hype it as much, on streaming platforms.

6 hours ago, Asmo said:

Probably because it's a few years old, they mightn't have been able to hype it as much, on streaming platforms.

Well that doesn't make sense because I've seen an older series get a international release on Dramafever last year.  For example, do you know the 2005 Taiwanese show, It started with a Kiss?  That show although came out in 2005, Dramafever picked it up last year.  Guess what, that show got a lot of positive reviews from people that never watched the show and from young people in their 20's.  It's not only this show that got picked up many years later, the 2006 K-drama Secret Campus was picked up last year on Dramafever probably because of Lee-Min Ho's popularity with international fanbase.

So that means Ip Man the TV drama could've done well on Dramafever, Viki, Netflix regardless.  Maybe Ip Man although release in 2013 could've done a lot better on Dramafever and Viki then on blu-ray. 

16 hours ago, mdo7 said:

Well that doesn't make sense because I've seen an older series get a international release on Dramafever last year.  For example, do you know the 2005 Taiwanese show, It started with a Kiss?  That show although came out in 2005, Dramafever picked it up last year.  Guess what, that show got a lot of positive reviews from people that never watched the show and from young people in their 20's.  It's not only this show that got picked up many years later, the 2006 K-drama Secret Campus was picked up last year on Dramafever probably because of Lee-Min Ho's popularity with international fanbase.

So that means Ip Man the TV drama could've done well on Dramafever, Viki, Netflix regardless.  Maybe Ip Man although release in 2013 could've done a lot better on Dramafever and Viki then on blu-ray. 

I'm not at all familiar with those platforms, so you may be right. I wonder if it's possible that Cinedigm don't have the rights to offer it for streaming. Who knows.

7 hours ago, Asmo said:

I'm not at all familiar with those platforms, so you may be right. I wonder if it's possible that Cinedigm don't have the rights to offer it for streaming. Who knows.

I'm more baffled why the Chinese distributor that handle the Ip Man TV drama's international sale didn't thought of Dramafever and Viki if they wanted a bigger audience.  Both streaming platforms have helped Chinese TV dramas (both period and modern non-martial art) found an audience beyond Asian-American demographic.  I mean we know Korean dramas have done so well in the US and beyond.

Since you're from Australia, I can understand why you're not familiar with the streaming platform I've mentioned, but you never heard of Viki?  That platform should sound familiar with you because there's been a lot of Chinese TV shows getting streamed on that website with English subtitles.

I'm just going to say this: this forum is lucky to have me being the only fan of Korean pop culture.  It sound like nobody else on this forum is a K-pop fan. 

17 hours ago, mdo7 said:

I'm more baffled why the Chinese distributor that handle the Ip Man TV drama's international sale didn't thought of Dramafever and Viki if they wanted a bigger audience.  Both streaming platforms have helped Chinese TV dramas (both period and modern non-martial art) found an audience beyond Asian-American demographic.  I mean we know Korean dramas have done so well in the US and beyond.

Since you're from Australia, I can understand why you're not familiar with the streaming platform I've mentioned, but you never heard of Viki?  That platform should sound familiar with you because there's been a lot of Chinese TV shows getting streamed on that website with English subtitles.

I'm just going to say this: this forum is lucky to have me being the only fan of Korean pop culture.  It sound like nobody else on this forum is a K-pop fan. 

I have a friend that knows a guy that spoke to a guy that once dated a girl that knew a guy that dated a girl that likes K-pop. But, I can't seem to get past J-pop. 😀

OpiumKungFuCracker

It's streaming on Amazon for those that are a little curious to see it in tv format. I live what I'm seeing. TV is fun!!! Wing Chun!!! 

Drunken Monk

I found this utterly unwatchable. Couldn’t even make it through the first episode.

Archived