Fu Flicks You Couldn't Make it the End Of....Member Confessions

One Armed Boxer

This is probably an unpopular opinion but I didn't like the 14 Amazons very much, the concept of a group of women warriors slugging it out with foreign barbarian invaders to save China's neck seemed interesting but after watching twice I found the big set piece battles quite tedious and Lily Ho's character being a younger male was also a minor annoyance. I suppose my comment here is a bit mismatched to the thread title as I did (barely!) manage to finish watching this film but I certainly don't agree with many (most?) Shaw Brothers fans who consider it a major classic.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

I concur. On paper it looks intriguing, but it is quite underwhelming in execution. The action is especially weak.

One Armed Boxer
7 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

This is probably an unpopular opinion but I didn't like the 14 Amazons very much, the concept of a group of women warriors slugging it out with foreign barbarian invaders to save China's neck seemed interesting but after watching twice I found the big set piece battles quite tedious and Lily Ho's character being a younger male was also a minor annoyance.

@De Ming Li & @TibetanWhiteCrane have you seen Frankie Chan's 'The Legendary Amazons' from 2011?  Despite it catching a lot of flack, I actually found it to be an enjoyable throwback to the early 90's new wave flicks of HK action cinema.  Plus it has Yukari Oshima and Cheng Pei-Pei in the same movie, who'd have thought that would ever happen!?

1 hour ago, One Armed Boxer said:

@De Ming Li & @TibetanWhiteCrane have you seen Frankie Chan's 'The Legendary Amazons' from 2011?  Despite it catching a lot of flack, I actually found it to be an enjoyable throwback to the early 90's new wave flicks of HK action cinema.  Plus it has Yukari Oshima and Cheng Pei-Pei in the same movie, who'd have thought that would ever happen!?

I too enjoyed it. Despite some odd action direction decisions (bamboo pogo shoes?), Frankie Chan is actually a very good choreographer in terms of planning exchanges of blows, strikes, blocks, etc.

Police Woman(1973) a.k.a Rumble In Hong Kong, The Young Tiger, I watched this Chu Mu directed movie on VHS, under the title Young Tiger. It was such a pain to sit through, I've never re-visited it since. The only moment I can recall, is when a young mole faced Jackie Chan fight one of the heroes played by Charle Chin, and there's a blue VW beetle involved?.

A1XRgP+xS6L._SY445_.jpg

Killer Meteor

The funniest bit in the film is when the hero goes on a rant about violent movies and books being a bad influence on the kids!

10 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

The funniest bit in the film is when the hero goes on a rant about violent movies and books being a bad influence on the kids!

I just cant recall that scene, might brave the movie again one day, see if I appreciate it more now.

Can you spot the young Jacie Chan?.

maxresdefault.jpg

Ninja Fists of Fire(197") a.k.a The Fist That Kill's. Tried to tick this of the watch pile, but just couldnt get into at all. Not the worst film I've seen though, I just wasnt expected it to be a swordplay movie.

51KMBE4NJ5L._SY445_.jpg

Archived