Bruce Lee - Full Contact Competition

Phantom Dreamer

NoKUNGFUforYU

Martial arts have come a long, long way since 1966-70. Look at this music. Music NSFW.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Phantom Dreamer

Bob Wall and Joe Lewis critique Bruce Lee. I apologize for the poor audio.

DragonClaws
17 hours ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

Bob Wall and Joe Lewis critique Bruce Lee. I apologize for the poor audio.

The audio has been tampered with too much, maybe to remove certain words?, I get the jist of what they are saying. Shame we dont get the full video and uncensored audio.

Phantom Dreamer

Both Lewis and Wall parlayed their affiliation with Bruce Lee into individual financial gain.

1ba51be9c350ad4c4a944d9c753d9a58.jpg

Phantom Dreamer
On 9/19/2018 at 4:26 PM, Phantom Dreamer said:

I noticed this name brought up elsewhere, Gary Elms, dead or alive?

Since no one has corraberated the claim that Louis Delgado was Bruce Lee's first choice to portray his Way of the Dragon opponent, I'm calling BS on that one.

On 9/20/2018 at 1:26 AM, Phantom Dreamer said:

I noticed this name brought up elsewhere, Gary Elms, dead or alive?

There's been debate about if the Gary Elms story is fact or fiction?, dont know enough about it to make any kind of comment.

Ths might interest you though.

Some Bruce Lee critics and haters claim that there is no evidence that Gary Elms exists. There's no picture of him or record of his Boxing exploits yet he was a 3-time champion in high school. The only eye witness account I can find besides William Cheung, who trained Bruce Lee for the fight, is a man named Rolf Clausnitzer who says in an interview that he was a classmate of Gary Elms, knew Bruce Lee and saw the fight.

DP: So, how was their match together? As an eyewitness, what can you say about the fight?

RC: His bout with Bruce turned out to be the most amazing and bizarre boxing match I have ever seen and expect to see. I honestly believe that Gary did not land even one single scoring punch throughout the entire 3 x 1 minute rounds, with Bruce deflecting and taking all of Gary's punches on his arms. Gary was knocked down several times, but he was not knocked out (contrary to what has been reported in various articles and books!) and, even more surprisingly, he did not appear to be hurt or distressed. Each time he was floored, he would immediately jump back up. That's why the referee did not stop the fight. Notwithstanding Gary's extraordinary toughness, I was amazed to see him survive the bout in such good shape. It was not until later when I caught up with Frank that some sort of explanation emerged.

DP: Do you recall what your brother Frank told you about this?

RC: Apparently, when Frank and his friends went to congratulate Bruce after the bout, Bruce was shaking his head and looking far from pleased with himself. His reply to Frank's obvious question was something along the lines of, "Damn it, I couldn't knock the guy out". His rationalisation was that the large (16oz?) gloves neutralised the intended, penetrating effect of tilting the wrist on impact, a practice common to many Wing Chun practitioners (I gather he abandoned this practice in later years). He reckoned that this force was not penetrating the padding and, in any case, Gary was already being propelled backwards from the pushing impact of the glove. He swore that he would continue training until he could achieve the penetration he wanted. He also had his sights set on Peter Burton, a stylish and hard punching boxer from St George's School (which was exclusively for the children of British Armed Forces personnel in Hong Kong), a much bigger and heavier competitor who had TKO'd his opponent in the second round. By the way, Frank and I met Peter (who turned out to be half German as well) at a party a few weeks later and we talked about Bruce, but it's unlikely that such a bout would ever have been approved because of the weight and size differences and, in any case, Bruce left for the USA a few months later to begin a new chapter in his amazing life.

Source, Link- https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667240

Archived