Sleepy Eyes of Death Series

Guest flyingdragon

Guest flyingdragon

Has anyone seen these films?

There's one entitled 'Sword of Satan' and is said to feature a pagoda. Can anyone please give me they're thoughts on these films and the 'Sword of Satan' one?

Thanks in Advance.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I have not seen these yet, but have heard nothing but great things about the whole series. Hopefully Animeigo will re-release them on DVD someday (if they can get the licenses again). And yes, there is one movie in the series called "Sword Of Satan". Try this link for some info on the series: Animeigo

Guest KClosson

The pagoda, Bodai-ji Temple, is at the end of the movie. The final confrontation takes place just outside of the temple. I do not think the pagoda has any other significance in the story than that.

The Kyoshiro Nemuri series is good fantasy fun. His patented "Full Moon Cut" (Engetsu-Sappo) is based on his origins in the story. The series starts off a bit slow, and the later movies are really the best, but unfortunately those were never subtitled.

KC

Guest kungfusamurai

I don't think Animeigo will be releasing the DVDs. Their licensing ran out when they had the VHS (they didn't even finish the series), and they didn't renew. I seem to recall someone here suggesting that Home Vision might put them out. I don't know if that was wishful thinking or in the works. Now that Image has bought them out, it might be more of the former.

As for the series, its pretty good if you're more into story than action. I didn't like the choreography. I thought Ichikawa Raizo was a weak swordsman. But its more about the acting and stories if anything. I'd recommend buying the later ones and working backwards if you like it.

KFS

Guest Daisho2004

flyingdragon, you can get them from merlin at:www.merlinssamuraidvd.com/ he is a little expensive but if you tell him your from NinjaDojo you get a Discount. He has the best copies around.You should also join NinjaDojo it is a great site for all your Samurai info.

Daisho2004

Guest kungfusamurai

These guys also have a good selection for a reasonable price. Mind you all of these bootleg sites offer DVD-Rs, not DVD pressing (you have to look at their Samurai Catalog - better yet, just email them directly if you need help):

Andale

KFS

Guest Daisho2004

KFS, andale is a good site but they are also a ripe off of Merlins movies. He is one of the True Masters when it comes to Subtitling these movies for us. As well as CK aka Cannibal King.

Daisho2004

Guest KClosson

Animeigo were the ones who subbed the first six movies of the "Sleepy Eyes of Death" series. So, since they gave up the legal licensing rights to the series, it does not really matter who sells this series. No one is ripping off anyone here. My suggestion would be to find someone in the U.K. that might want to trade with him for free.

KC

Guest kungfusamurai

That is true Daiso, but a boot is a boot. A bootlegger can't complain about being booted since he did not write, direct or finance the film in the first place. I appreciate what CK has done, but if he is in the boot business he also understands that the work he puts into subbing is still fair game for other bootleggers.

KFS

Guest Daisho2004

KFS, Your point is well taken I do like to shop around also but like I said they do some of the best work outside of legit sellers;such as Animeigo. Plus Merlin is doing the remaining 5 movies in the Sleepy Eyes of Death series. This series was released by a Japanese Distributor but with no English Sub-t's last year, and that sucks.

Daisho2004

Archived