Creed II (2018) - Sylvester Stallone, Michael B. Jordan, Dolph Lundgren

AlbertV

Sylvester Stallone is confirmed to not only return as Rocky Balboa in Creed II, he will also be producing and...directing! He takes over for Ryan Coogler, who is unable to return due to schedule conflicts. The rumor is that Adonis Creed (Michael B. Jordan) will be facing the boxer who killed his father years ago, Ivan Drago (Dolph Lundgren).

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/sylvester-stallone-creed-2-michael-b-jordan-1202585321/

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Screenwriter Cheo Hodari Coker gave some insight to SlashFilm on what to expect in Creed II

“It’s about the legacies of sons haunted by their fathers. Even though Drago is alive, his son is haunted by him because Drago is a broken man who is trying to rebuild himself through the son. Apollo Creed isn’t broken but because Apollo died, Adonis Creed is still haunted by his father’s death and how it defined him, what it is it means now to be a champion. He’s aspiring to be a champion but also at the same time trying to figure out who it is he is. Particularly with Bianca, particularly also because he’s got Rocky who at this point becomes the new Mickey.”

Sly Stallone assisted with later drafts of the scripts but Coker had this to say:

“The first Creed is one of the best movies I’ve ever seen. I cried like a baby when they got to that scene when he’s like, ‘Why are you doing this, kid?’ and he’s like, ‘I just want to prove that I wasn’t a mistake.’ I’m sitting there, oh my God, I was verklempt, man. A lot of black men that have issues with their fathers, when they saw that scene, it became our Brian’s Song. It became our Remember the Titans. It became one of those movies that it is acceptable for ‘macho’ men to cry during. So the opportunity to work on Creed II was definitely something that I fought for, something that I couldn’t pass up. Later on, when I got to work with Stallone on the draft, that was a dream come true.”

Last good rocky film was rocky v.

Creed was o.k . They're never going to recreate the style/ spirit of rocky iv but happy to cash in on it. That was made as pure entertainment not Oscar bait.  All about action , music was ace and it had the top action stars. I expect Undisputed 2&3 films are closer in spirit to rocky iv than this will be. . 

Perhaps the greatest & closest homage to rock IV still  is the film  regarded by most people as the best martial arts film of 1993  .of course  Best of the  best ii. Ralph Moeller should have got an Oscar for is superb homage to Drago.  

The main star of creed is pretty average & a bit wimpy . Wesley Snipes or Carl weathers were much better action stars   . Nowadays  Michael jai white would have been much better choice to play creed and isaac fiorentine  directing . Then it could 've been  heavyweights which  look better on screen.

Gob bless hollywood for turning all action films into statements on racism & gender equality. Black star , black director and a girl with a disability .I get it, we are all equal. Now can we go back to having proper action stars & films like rock IV pleases.

18 hours ago, robbie said:

Last good rocky film was rocky v.

Creed was o.k . They're never going to recreate the style/ spirit of rocky iv but happy to cash in on it. That was made as pure entertainment not Oscar bait.  All about action , music was ace and it had the top action stars. I expect Undisputed 2&3 films are closer in spirit to rocky iv than this will be. . 

Perhaps the greatest & closest homage to rock IV still  is the film  regarded by most people as the best martial arts film of 1993  .of course  Best of the  best ii. Ralph Moeller should have got an Oscar for is superb homage to Drago.  

The main star of creed is pretty average & a bit wimpy . Wesley Snipes or Carl weathers were much better action stars   . Nowadays  Michael jai white would have been much better choice to play creed and isaac fiorentine  directing . Then it could 've been  heavyweights which  look better on screen.

Gob bless hollywood for turning all action films into statements on racism & gender equality. Black star , black director and a girl with a disability .I get it, we are all equal. Now can we go back to having proper action stars & films like rock IV pleases.

You didn't like Rocky Balboa? I too enjoyed Rocky V. I think the entire lesson with the the film started with Rocky V, since in there the message is treasuring the family you have even when times are hard. Then in Rocky Balboa, you have the message of making a comeback even when you're knocked down. Creed showed that although you may come from deeply planted roots, you could still make your own name.

Creed was a massive hit amongst critics and fans, and honestly didn't really have to do with race. You could argue that they put rap music as the OST, but look at Rocky V. Creed took the road of the original Rocky film, where it was more of a drama than an action film. I think that it's good that they got someone then of course, who wasn't as big of a name of black action stars such as: Michael Jai White, Wesley Snipes, etc etc. There are so many other actors out there that should get the chance to make their name (in this case blew up Michael B. Jordan's name besides Fruitvale Station and Red Tails). 

With the way athletes are today, they rather have more cuts than muscle. As you could see in these films, all the boxers are about 150 lbs as compared to boxers like Muhammad Ali, George Foreman, Larry Holmes, etc etc. 

On a side note here, I would like to state that I am not a huge fan of the Undisputed sequels. Please don't take that as an offense to those that enjoy them, that's just me.

31 minutes ago, Ah_Tao said:

You didn't like Rocky Balboa? I too enjoyed Rocky V. I think the entire lesson with the the film started with Rocky V, since in there the message is treasuring the family you have even when times are hard. Then in Rocky Balboa, you have the message of making a comeback even when you're knocked down. Creed showed that although you may come from deeply planted roots, you could still make your own name.

Creed was a massive hit amongst critics and fans, and honestly didn't really have to do with race. You could argue that they put rap music as the OST, but look at Rocky V. Creed took the road of the original Rocky film, where it was more of a drama than an action film. I think that it's good that they got someone then of course, who wasn't as big of a name of black action stars such as: Michael Jai White, Wesley Snipes, etc etc. There are so many other actors out there that should get the chance to make their name (in this case blew up Michael B. Jordan's name besides Fruitvale Station and Red Tails). 

With the way athletes are today, they rather have more cuts than muscle. As you could see in these films, all the boxers are about 150 lbs as compared to boxers like Muhammad Ali, George Foreman, Larry Holmes, etc etc. 

On a side note here, I would like to state that I am not a huge fan of the Undisputed sequels. Please don't take that as an offense to those that enjoy them, that's just me.

Rocky iv to me was my favourite .  It's very a different style to Creed . I can see you  prefer the drama approach.  

Rocky Balboa film  was o.k , maybe a little too much on sentimental side for me.   Antonio Tarver never had the big personality .

I really like the rocky music .  Gangsta Rap just does not appeal to me too much as a white guy.  I'd just prefer an update on rocky score by Vince dicola.  Rocky V rap music was closer to MC hammer so did not mind it as much. 

I want an out and out action film  so isaac Fiorenine , Michael jai white . With Rocky music and no rap would be perfect.  I think most  people would've prefered  it .

4 hours ago, robbie said:

Rocky iv to me was my favourite .  It's very a different style to Creed . I can see you  prefer the drama approach.  

Rocky Balboa film  was o.k , maybe a little too much on sentimental side for me.   Antonio Tarver never had the big personality .

I really like the rocky music .  Gangsta Rap just does not appeal to me too much as a white guy.  I'd just prefer an update on rocky score by Vince dicola.  Rocky V rap music was closer to MC hammer so did not mind it as much. 

I want an out and out action film  so isaac Fiorenine , Michael jai white . With Rocky music and no rap would be perfect.  I think most  people would've prefered  it .

Actually, my top 3 films from the franchise are Rocky 3-5. It's quite an unpopular opinion, but that's just me. Tarver was and still really is a nobody in the boxing world, which I agree on. Creed wasn't really hard on the gangsta rap, unlike how the other shitty music today has mumble and all of that same stolen crap where they use the same arpeggios over and over. I liked the OST from Rocky V, but there are parts in Creed that I liked the music (training scene, where Adonis is running with the guys on the 4 wheelers). 

Creed does appeal more to the black community. You have to remember something. Rocky v. Creed symbolized Wepner (a nobody) v. Ali, when race was a big thing. Creed does however reboot the entire Rocky storyline through a spin-off.. where a young man who fights as a contender tries to make it big. He finds a woman along the way and things start to kick off. Rocky tries to make it big while Adonis fights to make it big without exposing his identity.

Archived