Miracles (1989)

KenHashibe

I don't believe a topic for this movie already exists, but it's a movie that I think would be a lot of fun to discuss.

Miracles (aka just Miracle, aka Mr Canton and Lady Rose, aka The Canton Godfather, aka Black Dragon) is Jackie Chan's personal favorite movie of his and it's kinda easy to see why. There's so much to be proud of, down to the long shots, the cinematography, the gorgeous sets, the costumes. The action and comedy are still great, which is typical for a Jackie Chan movie. Though I have problems with the movie’s pacing and structure, there are some many more elements that take it above and beyond most other Hong Kong movies at the time.

Besides discussing how this movie has impacted Jackie Chan's career, I also wanted to create this thread to bring up something I noticed only with my most recent rewatch. Not sure if this has already been discussed, but it seems that another actress was originally meant to play Belle (Gloria Yip's character) but dropped out midway through filming. When I saw this movie at the Egyptian Theatre last Friday, I very quickly noticed that the girl in the picture frame was not Gloria Yip. And I popped in the DVD just now to verify that I wasn't seeing things. On top of that, during the discussion with Jackie about Miracles following the screening, he mentioned that there was another actress who was supposed to play the part, thus they had to reshoot the closeups/insert shots of the picture frame.

Here's the one shot of the alternate picture frame (looks a lot like Moon Lee) along with the picture of Gloria Yip for comparison:

jfakoo.jpg

21kl5si.jpg

• Like 5

If you can't tell by my profile pic, this is one of my favorite movies of all time. Jackie manages to not go too crazy with the comedy, and the drama works as well. It also doesn't have very many fights either, so it has to rely on a decent story and acting. Mars may not have a big role, but he does well with the comedy it offers. It would be nice to have real blu-ray release or at the very least, a good R1 dvd release.

• Like 1

I wrote down some of my thoughts on Miracles, for one of this years Mutual Monthly Reviews, when I chose an 1980's theme.

Anyone interested in opinions, can access the review by clicking on the link below, thank you.

Miracles-1989-film-images-8c274f99-3455-

The cast of Mr Canton & Lady Rose(1989).

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

As with most of his movies from this era the action is of the highest quality,I had a bit of a problem with the pacing and length but when the action kicks in it's Chan the man at the top of his game.Its such a shame the man had to get old.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, sym8 said:

,I had a bit of a problem with the pacing and length but when the action kicks in it's Chan the man at the top of his game.

Me too when I first viewed the film, but the more I watched it, the less of an issue it became.

Cognoscente
On 10/10/2017 at 12:46 AM, KenHashibe said:

I also wanted to create this thread to bring up something I noticed only with my most recent rewatch. Not sure if this has already been discussed, but it seems that another actress was originally meant to play Belle (Gloria Yip's character) but dropped out midway through filming. When I saw this movie at the Egyptian Theatre last Friday, I very quickly noticed that the girl in the picture frame was not Gloria Yip. And I popped in the DVD just now to verify that I wasn't seeing things. On top of that, during the discussion with Jackie about Miracles following the screening, he mentioned that there was another actress who was supposed to play the part, thus they had to reshoot the closeups/insert shots of the picture frame.

Here's the one shot of the alternate picture frame (looks a lot like Moon Lee) along with the picture of Gloria Yip for comparison:

If it was Moon Lee, that would certainly explain why the villain in Killer Angels (also 1989) was named after Jackie!

• Like 1