Steven Seagal Movies (2003 - 2021) The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

DragonClaws

I just saw A Good Man. It was good. Pun intended. He uses a short sword in the film a few times also. I liked the fight scenes. Some doubles present, but he did most himself. Of course it's not as good as his first few films.

Edited by LoBo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, LoBo said:

I just saw A Good Man. It was good. Pun intended. He uses a short sword in film a few times also. I liked the fight scenes. Some doubles present, but he did most himself. Of course it's not as good as his first few films.

I was looking forward to seeing how Attrition might turn out, but in light of the recent stories that have come out, and some older ones. I'm not so sure now?.

I hope his upcoming tv series is better than True Justice. I didn't think most of the fight scenes was good. And too little fight scenes per each episode. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LoBo said:

I hope his upcoming tv series is better than True Justice. I didn't think most of the fight scenes was good. And too little fight scenes per each episode. 

Only watched one of the film versions of True Justice, where they had edited episodes into a movie.

The new series is called General Commander right?.

One Armed Boxer
3 hours ago, LoBo said:

Just saw Shadow Man. The plot was a bit boring but, some good fight scenes. Not too much fight doubles. 

Somebody has a gun to my head and tells me I can either watch 'Shadow Man' or 'A Dangerous Man'.  Which one do I choose?

• Like 1

• Administrator
9 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Somebody has a gun to my head and tells me I can either watch 'Shadow Man' or 'A Dangerous Man'.  Which one do I choose?

A DANGEROUS MAN is much better.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

A DANGEROUS MAN is much better.

At least that one has Steven Seagal speeding himself up to the levels of an early 90s Donnie Yen film, which is so bizarre it's almost fun to watch.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, LoBo said:

Trailer. Looks good and I saw no doubles, some are probably still present. He looks to be using Wing Chun more than Aikido.

Thanks for the head's up on this, I re-posted the trailer link in the Attrition thread.

Edited by DragonClaws

This up-coming Steven Seagal production, sounds a lot like the cancelled Gunfighter, in terms of the story.

A man known only by his alias, ‘Assassin,’ works as a hired killer for the U.S. government, terminating individuals deemed too dangerous for society.  When he becomes a target, he must discover who placed a hit on him before it’s too late. He tracks the source of the hit to  Dodge City, a town overrun by thugs and dirty cops alike. There he takes the bad guys to task in an attempt to stop future hits and save the families of Dodge caught in the crossfire.

Source of the above synopsis Link- https://www.theexchange.ws/films/paid-on-death/

This is not the official poster for the movie, it appears to use a younger image of Seagal, from one of his many generic DTV efforts?.

paidondeath_Webposter.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

The next episode of my podcast is going to be on a Steven Seagal film. However, I need help. I'm looking for one of his films that features a fair share of martial arts but also has enough material for me and my co-hosts to giggle at. Preferably an earlier Seagal film.

And ideas? Are Out for Justice or Hard to Kill laugh worthy?

• Like 3

ShaOW!linDude
8 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

The next episode of my podcast is going to be on a Steven Seagal film. However, I need help. I'm looking for one of his films that features a fair share of martial arts but also has enough material for me and my co-hosts to giggle at. Preferably an earlier Seagal film.

Maybe Marked For Death or The Glimmer Man? Or maybe On Deadly Ground?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

1 hour ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Maybe Marked For Death or The Glimmer Man? Or maybe On Deadly Ground?

Ditto Marked For Death and On Deadly Ground, recall The Glimmer Man being more action light in comparison. On Deadly Ground also has a great over the top performance from Michael Caine as villain Michael Jenning's. Joan Chen(Purple Storm, The Hunted) Billy Bob Thornton and John C.McGinley are among the cast too.

• Like 2

I spent several months watching only kung fu movies from the 70s. I'm now watching my Steven Seagal collection as a palate cleanser. So far:

Half Past Dead (2002) - Steven Seagal rips off The Rock. The fight choreography by Xiong Xin Xin is fun, but there's barely any of it. Kurupt is an obnoxious collection of black comic relief stereotypes. The fact that the climax is a skydiving sequences makes me wonder if they ran out of funding and needed an easy way to wrap it up.

The Foreigner (2003) - Steven Seagal rips off The Transporter. He plays an ex-CIA operative who has to transport a mysterious package to Germany. Lots of different entities get in the way. Very little aikido: just a few moments of his twisting wrists and throwing people. There's strobe light-esque use of quick cuts that's annoying.

Belly of the Beast (2003) - One of his best films, mainly because of Ching Siu-Tung. He has an accute visual sense and instead of tweaking his choreography to fit Seagal (and his girth), he goes forward and uses (extensive) doubles where necessary. Probably first in a series of Seagal has sex with a co-star young enough to be his daughter. In this case it's Monica Lo (who had a brief role in Ching's Naked Weapon).

Out of Reach (2004) - Seagal does Taken before Liam Neeson does. He plays a (yawn!) ex-CIA assassin who heads to Poland to investigate the disappearance of his adolescent orphan penpal, who has been picked up by a human trafficking ring. Directed by Leung Po Chi (Hong Kong 1941), the film looks good and is structured less like an action film and more like a cat-and-mouse thriller. Sadly, there is little action and there is minimum aikido on display. The shootout at the brothel is pretty good, though.

Submerged (2005) - Seagal rips off The Manchurian Candidate. He plays an imprisoned special ops guy who's let out of prison to blow up a shady lab hidden within a dam in Uruguay. He faces up with mind controlled sleeper agents, a high-profile assassination plot, and lots of double crossing. The movie occasionally looks cheap and chintzy, and Seagal was present for only 50% of the looping sessions. Apparently the fight against the great Gary Daniels was supposed to be long and elaborate, but Seagal got his mits on it and it was short and one-sided.

• Like 3

DragonClaws
15 hours ago, DrNgor said:

I'm now watching my Steven Seagal collection as a palate cleanser. So far:

Hats off to you @DrNgor, your a brave man indeed. I think Sniper Special Ops(2016) was my last venture into the world of Seagal DTV productions.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Hats off to you @DrNgor, your a brave man indeed. I think Sniper Special Ops(2016) was my last venture into the world of Seagal DTV productions.

I haven't seen anything since the one-two gutpunch of Perfect Weapon and Asian Connection.

• Like 2

Black Dawn (2005) - Sequel to The Foreigner that is Steven Seagal's The Peacemaker. Seagal returns as Jonathan Cold, an über-secret agent for the CIA fighting corrupt agents and arms dealers in order to stop Chechen terrorists from detonating a small nuclear weapon in Los Angeles. High on talk, low on action. There's a decent car chase, a few standard shoot-outs, and maybe 30 seconds of fighting where it's clear Seagal is not performing the moves.

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

You're a trooper, @DrNgor! I've always been tempted to dip my toes in Seagal's less shitty movies but it's hard to weed them out. I think I need to watch Exit Wounds and Belly of the Beast. For laughs, if anything.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

You're a trooper, @DrNgor! I've always been tempted to dip my toes in Seagal's less shitty movies but it's hard to weed them out. I think I need to watch Exit Wounds and Belly of the Beast. For laughs, if anything.

Thanks. I've fallen a few days behind: It's been a busy past four days. But I should get back on track this evening.

• Like 2