The Twilight Samurai

Guest xZAANTRONx

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest gorlank

It's a beautiful film, and gives insight to the more mundane activities of a samurai's life, it's not all duels and whoring.

I loved the look into the family life of the title character, his two adorable daughters and his courtship of a childhood sweetheart. His job in the Stores department counting dried cod is amusing as well. Not a lot of action but what there is, is fast, authentic and well done. A wonderful movie that will stay with you long since your first viewing.

I also thought this was one of the most realistic cinematic depictions of swordplay ever, in regards to the psychological state of the combatants. The totally jacked up tension, fear, stress and hyperacute senses--I imagine when you're facing someone with a razor-sharp blade who's out to kill you, this is pretty much what both people would be like. Great overall movie.

Guest kungfusamurai

This is an awesome film. Totally in the spirit of the old school chambara flicks. At first, I thought I'd be turned off by the lack of fight scenes, but by the end, I was wishing he DIDN'T have to fight.

KFS

Guest limubai2000

You guys might also want to check out -

After The Rain (Ame Agaru)

When The Last Sword Is Drawn

Hidden Blade

All are in a similar vein, Ame Agaru has some great, cleverly written dialogue and though lacks fight scenes like Twilight, is a great film!

Guest wizard12220

is one of the best movie ever made.

I'm agree with Hidden Blade, which has similar theme and made by the same director, Yoji Yamada

Absolutely loved this film. Suprisingly wonderful from beginning to end. Speaking of the end, it's highly touching and well done. Sanada was perfect for the role. A must have.

Yep, I didn't think he was gonna walk out of that house. The scene where he tells the old guy about his bamboo sword is chilling. The skeletal face comes to horrifying life.

Archived