The Game Changer (2017) - Remake of The Bund

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

I recently got through watching this Gao Xixi directed remake of 'The Bund', which WellGo USA released on DVD & Blu-ray.  The influence of John Woo looms large over it for sure, but considering the lukewarm reception to 'Manhunt', is that a good or a bad thing?  I gave it the full review treatment here - 

http://cityonfire.com/the-game-changer-2017-review-the-bund-remake/

the-game-changer-poster-3_goldposter_com

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Wow, hard to believe no one has posted anything else in this thread since it was created. :ooh: Haven't any of you picked this up? It's Heroic Bloodshed 2017! :nerd:

After reading Paul's review I bought the Blu-ray on release day (October 3rd) and watched it on the 17th. It's a cool, over-the-top action drama with plenty of flying bullets and bodies, chases, chopping blades, and fisticuffs. The lead, Peter Ho, looks like he was born to be an action star. Especially when he inexplicably shows up for the climactic showdown in a leather vest sans shirt. I laughed, but you can't blame the guy as he obviously worked hard to have a killer physique. So why cover it all up, right? :wink:

I had a few problems with the film, and aside from some over-edited bits, all of them had to do with it going too far into "WTF?" territory. A perfect example: early on an assassin purposely goes out a high-rise window, shooting his targets on the way down as he ridiculously re-positions his body mid-fall. Instead of this having a "wow factor", for me it just looked stupid. But before I even had a chance to roll my eyes it was followed by some exciting action. Later, when a character is shot multiple times in the chest and survives, I expected there to be some kind of cliche "Thankfully I had my lucky lighter in my pocket" or "I secretly slipped this steel shield under my shirt" reveal, but no. It turns out that there is no explanation other than: F**k those bullets! This guy is super damn tough! Um, okay. :tongue: There are more cartoonish moments like these sprinkled throughout the film, but fortunately most of them are not so silly. Still outlandish, but managing to maintain their cool factor.

On the upside, the story, characters, and romantic triangles all work well, and you never have to wait too long before the next bit of wildly violent action kicks in.

For a more detailed breakdown I highly recommend the review linked above. I have to say I liked it just a tiny bit less than Paul, and would give it a 6.5/10.

After 6 months or so just sitting on a pile, I finally gave this a watch.

It is over the top crazy insane action with a lot of WTF just happened action or WTF is going on action.

I would give it about the same rating as @One Armed Boxer

Oh, and yes....it is entertaining.

Archived