Kung Fu with a female lead?

Phantom Dreamer

Phantom Dreamer

Greg Berlanti is rebooting Kung Fu as a female-led drama for Fox.

The new series will center on “Lucy Chang, a Buddhist monk and kung fu master who travels through 1950s America armed only with her spiritual training and her martial arts skills as she searches for the man who stole her child years before.” 

https://www.avclub.com/greg-berlanti-is-rebooting-kung-fu-as-a-female-led-dram-1818979030?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fist of the Heavenly Sky

For what it's worth, the concept is certainly interesting, if not a direct copypaste of the (ultimately) basic plotline of Kill Bill. I haven't watched any episodes of the original franchise, so I can't say I'm excited for this. I would totally dig a Buddhist nun chick kicking all sorts of butts in early rock 'n roll America, head shaven or not.

Also for those who haven't clicked the article yet: don't bother checking the comments; it's a hot garbage dumpster fire.

I'm up for this, just as long as it doesnt go the way of other recent Martial Arts related T.V series, RUSH HOUR.

Apart from the original Kung Fu series and Walker Texas Ranger, most Martial Arts shows appear to have a short run on T.V

On 29/09/2017 at 8:11 PM, thekfc said:

Apparently, Lucy Chang may not be going solo. She may have a sidekick/partner "JT Cullen" a Korean war vet. 

Just about all sources that report this, fail to mention the female character might have a sidekick who's male. Not that matters, especially to Martial Arts fan who don't appear to get as up-set when they put a woman in the lead role.

Bruce Lee's son Brandon, was picked to star in a re-boot of the series back in the 80's. I don't think the pilot episode for Kung Fu The Next Generation even aired on T.V?.

36ea5cf3d60fc693f18525e0087c82b2.jpg

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
22 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Just about all sources that report this, fail to mention the female character might have a sidekick who's male. Not that matters, especially to Martial Arts fan who don't appear to get as up-set when they put a woman in the lead role.

Bruce Lee's son Brandon, was picked to star in a re-boot of the series back in the 80's. I don't think the pilot episode for Kung Fu The Next Generation even aired on T.V?.

Just my personal opinion, but a sidekick male would only work if he too was a martial arts expert (Karateka). It would make for a solid duality with Lucy Chang's Kung Fu skills.

As for Brandon Lee, he played two different lead characters in Kung Fu: The Movie and Kung Fu: The Next Generation, the latter of which was a TV pilot that did not get picked up for a full series. 

ShaOW!linDude

I think I have issues with this. It's like "it's a remake but it's not". Maybe it'll be worth a flip.

Honestly, I'd prefer a remake of Sammo's Martial Law series, but with a younger protagonist and having him direct every episode. Yeah. I'd be down for that.

3 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

I think I have issues with this. It's like "it's a remake but it's not". Maybe it'll be worth a flip.

Hopefully they wont go the re-make route, and perhaps tie it in with original?. Or at least the later series that David Carradine did in the 90's, of which I've never seen.

One Armed Boxer

Casting a female lead worked for 'The Next Karate Kid', so don't see why it wouldn't work here.

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
On 10/4/2017 at 3:40 PM, DragonClaws said:

Hopefully they wont go the re-make route, and perhaps tie it in with original?. Or at least the later series that David Carradine did in the 90's, of which I've never seen.

I feel the remake (Or perhaps an original IP of it's own, since we don't know if it will call back to the series name) is inevitable, since David Carradine has long passed away and he was present in every spin-off of the Kung Fu series, albeit playing different characters.

2 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Casting a female lead worked for 'The Next Karate Kid', so don't see why it wouldn't work here.

As someone who hasn't watched that movie, how tolerable is it? 

ShaOW!linDude
18 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

It did? I certainly never cared to see it. Can't say I'm really a big fan of all the Karate Kid films.

One Armed Boxer
1 hour ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

It did? I certainly never cared to see it. Can't say I'm really a big fan of all the Karate Kid films.

Note to self: sarcasm is difficult to pick up on over the written word.:smile  I've never seen it either, but am aware enough to know that it's the one KK movie that nobody talks about.

ShaOW!linDude
4 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Note to self: sarcasm is difficult to pick up on over the written word.:smile  

DOH!!!

OpiumKungFuCracker

Oh wow, I can really get into this. The original Kung Fu series still holds up!!! When is this suppose to come out? A female lead? Hell yeah dude, rock on brotha!

So glad I got rid of cable television. I rarely even watch over-the-air television. All this remake BS makes me sick. People are not even trying anymore. Give me something new. Otherwise, I will just watch the original. You can't top it! 

Archived