Favourite Three Dragons Movie? (Poll)

Omni Dragon

Favourite Three Dragons Movie?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite Three Dragons Movie?

• Project A (1983)
    • Wheels on Meals (1984)
    • Dragons Forever (1988)
  2. 2. Favourite Three Dragons Movie? (Including Lucky Stars movies).

• Winners & Sinners (1983)
    • Project A (1983)
    • Wheels on Meals (1984)
    • My Lucky Stars (1985)
    • Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars (1985)
    • Dragons Forever (1988)

I'm creating a thread and poll based on the "Three Dragons Movies"

Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao are considered to be the "Three Dragons" and the movies where all three where the leads; Project A, Wheels on Meals and Dragons Forever are considered to be the "Three Dragons Movies" (or at least the main ones). Arguably some of the Lucky Stars movies could count. Though personally I feel like Jackie and Yuen Biao are almost like 'guest stars' in them, but still I've decided to have a 2nd poll to include the Lucky Stars movies with JC and YB. And if your being pedantic movies like Heart of the Dragon where all three worked on the movie but not necessarily all played characters, though I've decided against including this type in the poll.

At the moment my favourites in order would be:
1 Project A
2 Dragons Forever
3 Winners & Sinners
4 Wheels on Meals
5 My Lucky Stars
6 Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Star

It's been a few years since I watched My Lucky Stars and Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Star so I'm not so sure about the order.
I suspect some maybe surprised to see Winners & Sinners above Wheels on Meals,in fact Wheels use to be my favourite of all of these (due to the great fights and vehicle stunts) movies but I watched it and Winners a few months ago and a felt the plot in Winners worked better.
I think Project A has the most sentimental memory for me as every time I watch it, it takes me back to Christmas Day 2006 when I first watched it. That was a time when I think I'd seen less than about 5 Hong Kong movies. As for the movie it's self, I feel the while fairly simple the plot works well and the action almost defined what 1980/90s HK martial arts movie would be. And honestly when I watched Project A earlier this year I was think it might be my favourite action movie though maybe that was because at the time I was just getting back into martial arts movies.

• Like 4

Project a all the way for me,with the exception of the action never been a fan of the lucky star films too much goofy comedy for me but project has it all decent comedy good story and quality action.i also thought the three dragons bounced off each other really well.

• Like 3

They all have huge highlights, including the Lucky Stars movies, but Project A is the best for me.  Stunts, fights, story. Perfection.

• Like 5

I could have picked any of the choices for many reasons. Choose Dragon's Forever in the end, because it was the first real collaboration between the Three Dragons that I got to see. Rented it from the local Blockbuster, and re-watched the finale many times before returning it. Yuen Wah's odd antics, after getting thrown into the chemical waste. still cracks me up now.

UDcBc

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer

'Dragons Forever' for me as well.  It had a perfect mix of hard hitting action (something that Sammo had refined to a T by the end of the 80's), characters (Jackie as an arrogant lawyer made a nice change of pace), and comedy (I still crack up every time I see Sammo sat there holding the lamp).

Very surprised to see that some of the Lucky Stars movies have received votes.  Sure they're fun, but put up against the trio of main Three Dragons movies, I didn't expect them to receive any (and isn't Biao in 'Winners and Sinners' for about 10 seconds?)

• Like 4

I chose Project A.  I love this movie! Besides Miracles, this is probably Jackie's best movie on a technical level. Amazing sets and sets. It's also absurdly fun to watch with a lot of creative set pieces. I really love the other two movies and they all have aspects that make them unique, but Project A takes the cake for me.

• Like 5

Dragons Forever just has the best comedy between Chan, Sammo, and Biao. Really the fault I find with it is the fight between Chan and Benny 'The Jet' Urquidez is inferior to their tussle in Wheels On Meals.

And Twinkle Twinkly Lucky Stars is just full of phenomenal fights and falls. I can't believe it's not ranking higher. I mean...come on, people!!!!

• Like 5

I'd actually go for Wheels on Meals. It's just so lighthearted and fun. Then the action really picks up towards the end.

In my opinion Project A just doesn't have enough traditional Hong Kong choreography. A lot of it is slapstick or too simplified. It only really gets good when Jackie takes on dick Wei and, even then, it's a little too dodge based.

• Like 5

You forgot Countdown in Kung Fu. Which in my opinion ist a well told KF- movie.  My Ranking: 1.project a (favourite jcmovie: great Sets, great action, great stunts  2. Wheels in meals (Jackies besten Fight, gold Story).  3. Dragons forever (chracters plus flair). 4 Twinkle Twinkle lucky Stars (lucky Stars movie Witz iconic scenes: hallfight, parachute-boat Scene, endfight in the Caritas Bildung). 5. Winners ans sinners (cheesy Look, stupid Gags and a Hood endfight. Jackies fast food Fight is also great. Rollerskatescene) 6. My lucky stars (Japan is an interesting Location nur isn't shown in a big way. To much indoorscenes and not a Lot memorable Fight scenes)

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Kwai said:

You forgot Countdown in Kung Fu. Which in my opinion ist a well told KF- movie.

Oh, it's been about 10 years since I watched Countdown in Kung Fu, I think I'd either forgot or didn't know Yuen Biao was in that. Where would you rank it in a top 7?

• Like 2

• Administrator
On 25/09/2017 at 7:17 PM, TheFlyingPanda said:

1 Project A overall Action 
2 Dragons Forever fight scenes 
4 Wheels on Meals  balance 

@TheFlyingPanda you should click the tabs up above to make your choice count in the poll. :wink:

On 26/09/2017 at 2:52 PM, DragonClaws said:

I could have picked any of the choices for many reasons. Choose Dragon's Forever in the end, because it was the first real collaboration between the Three Dragons that I got to see. Rented it from the local Blockbuster, and re-watched the finale many times before returning it. Yuen Wah's odd antics, after getting thrown into the chemical waste. still cracks me up now.

UDcBc

I agree with you completely @DragonClaws. Yuen Wah was just perfect in this!

Please add your choices to the poll up above. :bigsmile:

On 27/09/2017 at 2:43 AM, ShaOW!linDude said:

Dragons Forever just has the best comedy between Chan, Sammo, and Biao. Really the fault I find with it is the fight between Chan and Benny 'The Jet' Urquidez is inferior to their tussle in Wheels On Meals.

And Twinkle Twinkly Lucky Stars is just full of phenomenal fights and falls. I can't believe it's not ranking higher. I mean...come on, people!!!!

I'm with you @ShaOW!linDude, I've seen it countless times and the comedy still makes me laugh every viewing. Especially the bit in the bar where Yuen Biao is scolding his friends and starts insulting the guy next to him. Their faces and comic timing are spot-on. Plus, the fight between the three of them in the car-park is action/comedy choreography at it's very best.

Definitely TWINKLE, TWINKLE LUCKY STARS has the most spectacular fights of all the lucky stars films, and I've re-watched them a lot!

On 27/09/2017 at 11:43 PM, Drunken Monk said:

I'd actually go for Wheels on Meals. It's just so lighthearted and fun. Then the action really picks up towards the end.

In my opinion Project A just doesn't have enough traditional Hong Kong choreography. A lot of it is slapstick or too simplified. It only really gets good when Jackie takes on dick Wei and, even then, it's a little too dodge based.

@Drunken Monk please add your choices to the poll. Make your vote count! :nerd:

19 hours ago, Kwai said:

You forgot Countdown in Kung Fu. Which in my opinion ist a well told KF- movie.  My Ranking: 1.project a (favourite jcmovie: great Sets, great action, great stunts  2. Wheels in meals (Jackies besten Fight, gold Story).  3. Dragons forever (chracters plus flair). 4 Twinkle Twinkle lucky Stars (lucky Stars movie Witz iconic scenes: hallfight, parachute-boat Scene, endfight in the Caritas Bildung). 5. Winners ans sinners (cheesy Look, stupid Gags and a Hood endfight. Jackies fast food Fight is also great. Rollerskatescene) 6. My lucky stars (Japan is an interesting Location nur isn't shown in a big way. To much indoorscenes and not a Lot memorable Fight scenes)

Nice breakdown of what and why @Kwai. Again (Broken Record Bob asks), please add your vote to the poll.

• Like 4

Cognoscente

Project A had the best storytelling, Wheels on Meals had the best humour and non-action directing whereas Dragons Forever had the best action and romance.

• Like 2