Words On The Dragon - Articles, Interviews, Videos & Pod-Cast's

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

Uncovering Bruce Lee’s public school years

By Devin Israel Cabanilla (25/5/21)

Link- https://iexaminer.org/uncovering-bruce-lees-public-school-years/

“My older brothers at Garfield were always complaining about this Chinese kid who was getting notorious around the neighborhood. He was known for being able to beat up more than one guy. Apparently, they were jealous of Bruce Lee.”

https://sites.google.com/site/wayoflegacy/_/rsrc/1232910355599/bruce-lee-biography/st_francis_xavier_high_scho.jpg

• Like 3

DragonClaws
12 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I'm unable to resize the picture and zoom in. Can you tell me which one is Bruce?

He's sat on the bottom row, the forth guy on the right hand side.

• Like 2

Cognoscente

Like Frankenstein, I've stitched together two different copies of the same article from the Kong FZ site so that it could be more readable.

p4YBAFrPSRaAS8b5AAHniFoT_AI388_b.jpg

p4YBAFrPSRaAA9dUAAKFP4spYl0289_b.jpg

q4YBAFzlGhyAA3k7AALjvgu3q_c707_b.jpg

7656b456530d51b0_b.jpg

• Like 2

Criterion Reflections – Episode 103 – Lo Wei’s Fist of Fury

Criterion Reflections is David Blakeslee’s ongoing project to watch all of the films included in the Criterion Collection in chronological order of their original release. This fourth season of the podcast features conversations about movies that originally premiered in 1972 and were destined to eventually receive the Criterion imprimatur. In this episode, David is joined by Jason Beamish, Richard Doyle and Michael Worth to discuss Fist of Fury, directed by Lo Wei and starring Bruce Lee.

Link- https://criterioncast.com/podcast/criterion-reflections/episode-103-fist-of-fury

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ff/94/0e/ff940ebda7d3a8a3afc0316fa68b0b58.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/25/2021 at 1:39 PM, DragonClaws said:

i didn't even realize Stephen Au had a YT channel and with Bruce Lee topics at that. I still remember him in that HK TV series version of Fist of Fury with Donnie Yen as Chen Zhen.

7 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Criterion Reflections – Episode 103 – Lo Wei’s Fist of Fury

Link- https://criterioncast.com/podcast/criterion-reflections/episode-103-fist-of-fury

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ff/94/0e/ff940ebda7d3a8a3afc0316fa68b0b58.jpg

I caught the Big Boss one that David did before this one and really enjoyed it. So I'm definitely going to download this one as well.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2021 at 12:08 PM, Yihetuan said:

I caught the Big Boss one that David did before this one and really enjoyed it. So I'm definitely going to download this one as well.

Hi @Yihetuan, have you had the chance to view Charles Damaino appearance on the Kung Fu Genius Pod-Cast?. I think you were one of the first people to suggest, the recently released Bob Baker letters might have been forged?.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Hi @Yihetuan, have you had the chance to view Charles Damaino appearance on the Kung Fu Genius Pod-Cast?. I think you were one of the first people to suggest, the recently released Bob Baker letters might have been forged?.

Not yet but I do have it downloaded it to my mp3 player and do plan to listen while on my morning jogs and commute to work this week.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2021 at 11:22 AM, Yihetuan said:

Not yet but I do have it downloaded it to my mp3 player and do plan to listen while on my morning jogs and commute to work this week.

Look forward to hearing your opinions. I havent had the chance to listen to all of it yet, got the other half to get through later today.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2021 at 6:53 AM, DragonClaws said:

Look forward to hearing your opinions. I havent had the chance to listen to all of it yet, got the other half to get through later today.

I merely pointed out the a few of the letters did have different cursive writing from Bruce than the style that is normally associated with him. I never doubted the authenticity of the letter because I'm not well versed in that area of expertise to pass any sort of judgement. It was interesting to hear from such an avid collector as Charles Damiano and his take on the whole situation. He certainly has no doubt in his mind the letters are authentic and legitimate.

I certainly agree with his perspective that it was initially a bit shocking & disconcerting to hear Bruce did hard drugs and might have even been addicted but it does nothing to tarnish his influence or long term legacy. As far as the Bruce Lee Estate trying to sanitize his image and present Bruce as a wholesome role model to legions of adoring fans all of these years -- well, that's expected for anyone in charge of a cash cow legacy such as Bruce Lee, Elvis Presley, James Dean, etc. I personally never believed in the image of Bruce as a man beyond reproach in his personal affairs. His drug use, albeit with hash & weed is documented as well as his affairs with women outside of marriage. So he was certainly no saint but that doesn't make him any less of an icon in my eyes.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2021 at 7:16 PM, Yihetuan said:

So he was certainly no saint but that doesn't make him any less of an icon in my eyes.

As a young teenager in the pre-internet day's, I only had the image of Bruce Lee that was presented to the public. I'd yet to view Death By Misadventure by George Tan, and I hadn't had access to any of Tom Bleeker's writings either. The older fans on the internet scene pretty much opened my eyes, to other areas of his life.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1