Big Brother (2018) – Donnie Yen Film

mpm74

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drunken Monk

While this doesn't look like a balls to the wall kung fu film, I'm oddly excited for it. I like me a good ol' blend of comedy and action. Plus, what action there is on display looks pretty solid. 

Drunken Monk

According to Donnie himself, reviewers gave the film 9.5 out of 10 after its Fantasia Film Festival screening. I'm not sure exactly what reviewing system they use but, hey, it sounds good to me.

Drunken Monk
On 8/2/2018 at 6:56 AM, DiP said:

One thing stood out in that review...

"...there are only two big action scenes."

I know the film isn't being marketed as a massive action-fest but I'd hoped for more than two fight scenes.

6 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

One thing stood out in that review...

"...there are only two big action scenes."

I know the film isn't being marketed as a massive action-fest but I'd hoped for more than two fight scenes.

The notion I got reading the quote was that the movie has two big set-pieces and sprinkles here and there. That's not surprising though. Some of Don's recent movies has had lack of action. Heck, even Flash Point had little to no action until the legendary 30 min grand finale.

Drunken Monk
5 minutes ago, DiP said:

The notion I got reading the quote was that the movie has two big set-pieces and sprinkles here and there. That's not surprising though. Some of Don's recent movies has had lack of action. Heck, even Flash Point had little to no action until the legendary 30 min grand finale.

Actually, you're right. Many of Donnie's films aren't all out fight-fests. I don't know why I was hoping for more. Don't get me wrong, I'm still excited for Big Brother.

When some people are praising the action of a new Don flick, even going far as to say that a final fight is above the almighty one from Flash Point, that's bound to be good. 

Thanks for the review.

It's up for sale on DDDHouse now. Click here. Do I pay $25 for it now or do I pay closer to $20 later when Well Go USA releases it? Decision, decisions.

NoKUNGFUforYU

Saw this a few months ago on VOD. Cute film, a few good fights. Donnie plays an Asian American, so it was a little weird, as I have gotten used to anything from the PRC having the Americans as the bad guys. Enjoyed the film though. Recommended.

The movie was financed by Donnie's and Wong Jing's production company based in Hong Kong and only involving theatrical distributors elsewhere. So this is strictly Hong Kong film-making.

Donnie's rendition of "School on Fire"? It's a good movie. An unusual and unexpected one to be honest. Quite a few serious topics being tackled and what's important in a grounded way. There's two major action scenes; in the middle and at the end of the movie. Pretty neat & raw choreography, which fits Donnie's style. Feels like this was a personal project to him. Recommended!

Archived