Big Brother (2018) – Donnie Yen Film

mpm74

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This must be the third project Yen is producing. Looks like he's starring in all three movies he's producing at the same time. One drama movie and two action movies.

One of Donnie Yen’s next films is Big Brother, an upcoming MMA-themed actioner directed by Kam Kar-wai whose Color of the Game recently opened in theaters.

Very little is known about Big Brother, but from what we’re able to gather, the movie features MMA fighters, stuntmen and other players in the action film genre, including Jess Liaudin (Night Fare), Brahim Acchabkhe (Boyka: Undisputed IV), Craig Miller (The Brothers Grimsby), Tom Caserto (My War), Semiquaver Iafeta (Unbeatable), Lockhart Ogilvie (Level Up) and industry figure, Mike Leeder (Ultimate Justice).  

http://cityonfire.com/donnie-yen-to-deliver-some-mma-in-kam-kar-wais-big-brother/

bigbrother.jpg

Drunken Monk

I think this looks fun. The plot isn't exactly anything we haven't seen before but it looks like it's done pretty well here. Sadly, not enough of a glimpse of the action!

At this point in Hong Kong action movies, all we're getting are loose stories of real kung fu masters, drug deals gone wrong, cops after criminals/serial killers, Chinese military units helping out other countries fighting terrorists/drug lords etc. So seeing an actioner that resolves around the Hong Kong educational system is something refreshing, it's a rarity today. Last great one I can think of is Ringo Lam's School on Fire, and that was 30 years ago.

Synopsis: Henry Chen (Donnie Yen), who just started working as a high school teacher, is faced with a crisis that his school might be scuttled by the government. As his students are all poor in conducts and academics, Henry has to use unconventional teaching methods and finally manages to tame all of them. Just when everything seems to work out, Henry is faced with another crisis yet again – he becomes the target of criticism and blame. Once again, the battle-hardened veteran has to put aside his teacher identity and set out on an ultimate battle to defend the school.

http://www.moviexclusive.com/detail.php?c=201&desc=2018&p=5210&t=big-brother-228232407220804-2018_5210

I often see people comparing the movie premise to Japanese series GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka). Could be a combo of both, at that.

On 3/19/2018 at 6:31 PM, Drunken Monk said:

I think this looks fun. The plot isn't exactly anything we haven't seen before but it looks like it's done pretty well here. Sadly, not enough of a glimpse of the action!

Could be good I have seen similar plots work well in a few top films like the principal, class of 1984. But not seen that style of combined action & teaching for ages . From trailer it looks pretty good as long as it does not get too sentimental.

Archived