Enter the Fat Dragon (2020) - Donnie Yen

DiP

TibetanWhiteCrane
28 minutes ago, Rodolphe Dux said:

the rich arrogant moronic Japanese heir with bling is the modern stereotype.

Sounds like some heavy projecting coming from Mainland Chinese filmmakers.

• Like 1

I love the newest trailer. Gotta admit it looks like a whole lot of fun. I think it's undeniable that Donnie Yen has been a real blessing for keeping this genre alive. Looking forward to it.

• Like 4

Yeah, feeling the same. This may be more than your typical zany LNY movies that Wong Jing is synonomous with. Especially when you have Donnie involved as lead actor, producer, and action director.

That said, the action visuals in the trailer... Wow. Looks like the movie will have a wide set of different action set-pieces. Variety. This is something I crave for in action movies nowadays. BuyBustJohn Wick 3. Fingers crossed that the movie will have the same pattern!

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, laagi said:

Any word if this will play somewhere in europe? Seeing that at least Ip Man 4 got a UK release this should be a no brainer, right!?

I can't see a Wong Jing semi-spoof getting any kind of western theatrical release. I could be wrong but it seems like this film just doesn't quite have the audience.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 1:04 PM, laagi said:

Any word if this will play somewhere in europe? Seeing that at least Ip Man 4 got a UK release this should be a no brainer, right!? 

The big succes of Ip Man 4 might get this out in selected European cinemas, even if its just a one time screening?. It's riffing heavily on Bruce Lee's huge popularity/legacy, which will help draw in a larger/wider audience. Guess a lot has to do, with if it makes any decent numbers in the bigger Asian market's?. I'm sure it will do well at the Box-Office.

Looking forward to catching this when it hits DVD/Blu-Ray.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

I hope action-ace Donnie Yen receives the same success with this movie, as he recently did with box-office hit Ip Man 4.

• Like 3

This movie was sent straight to streaming due to the coronavirus. The premiere is February 1st on Tencent and iQiyi.

• Like 3

On 1/22/2020 at 8:08 PM, DragonClaws said:

I hope action-ace Donnie Yen receives the same success with this movie, as he recently did with box-office hit Ip Man 4.

Read that the movie had a successful first week run at the local box-office and has been the most grossing movie as of now, outbeating Bad Boys For Life.

• Like 3

So I managed to find an HD copy of this and watched the action... Lovely stuff. There's 4-5 major set-pieces and sprinkles here and there and all were done so well. A bit of wirework (mainly for assisting certain maneuvers) and CGI is present (for background and certain objects) but thankfully minimal and just a safety thing to complement the authentic fight choreography from all performers. Donnie - despite wearing a suit, heavy make-up, and being doubled quite a bit (for acrobatic and intricate moves) - is top-notch here proving that he still has it when it comes to modern day fight choreography. Most of the time, you'll see Donnie taking on multiple assailants and it's just so much fun to see the ideas and execution behind every movement and technique being done. Which leaves us the grand finale with the main villain (played by Joey Tee, an up-and-coming Japanese MA talent) and his goons, which is the best set-piece in the movie imo. Empty hands, use of objects and objects being destroyed, stunts, weapons. Variety at its' best.

Overall, I'll say that Donnie's action choreography work here outbeats Kung Fu Jungle and being slightly better than Special ID altogether and thereby coming off more satisfactory. I'll wait for the HK bluray and highly anticipating the harcore modern actioner Raging Fire. Donnie starts off this year good and hopefully will end it even better. Kudos and applauds for the worthy efforts!

Edited by DiP
  • Like 4

In Mainland China, due to the coronavirus, the film was brought to Tencent Media for streaming this past weekend. Originally, the film was to have been released in theaters there on February 14, but on February 1, it went straight to streaming.

http://hktopten.blogspot.com/2020/01/20200201-donnie-yens-new-film-switches.html

• Like 2

On 1/17/2020 at 8:45 AM, Drunken Monk said:

I can't see a Wong Jing semi-spoof getting any kind of western theatrical release. I could be wrong but it seems like this film just doesn't quite have the audience.

Well, it's time for me to eat my words...

• Like 5

It's safe to say that Well Go USA are the main representative of distributing Donnie's movies in The States.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3

• Administrator
On 1/17/2020 at 8:45 AM, Drunken Monk said:

I'm so glad you're wrong! 😃

On 1/22/2020 at 6:22 AM, DiP said:

This is what I was hoping for.

On 2/1/2020 at 1:43 AM, HyperDrive said:

This movie was sent straight to streaming due to the coronavirus. The premiere is February 1st on Tencent and iQiyi.

Yikes!

On 2/1/2020 at 5:47 PM, DiP said:

Read that the movie had a successful first week run at the local box-office and has been the most grossing movie as of now, outbeating Bad Boys For Life.

Donnie Yen besting Martin Lawrence? Hmmm... yeah, that sounds right! 🤣 I don't find Mr. Lawrence's yelling everything to be funny. At all.

On 2/3/2020 at 1:23 PM, AlbertV said:

In Mainland China, due to the coronavirus, the film was brought to Tencent Media for streaming this past weekend. Originally, the film was to have been released in theaters there on February 14, but on February 1, it went straight to streaming.

http://hktopten.blogspot.com/2020/01/20200201-donnie-yens-new-film-switches.html

What a terrible thing for everyone to have hanging over them. I'm sure that the people losing loved ones to the virus could care less about how it's affecting the movie industry or vacationers' travel plans. Hoping a cure is found soon. 🙄

On 2/4/2020 at 3:53 PM, Drunken Monk said:

Well, it's time for me to eat my words...

Yum yum. I'm only celebrating that you were wrong because it's in a good way. 😉

Hopefully this plays near me and we don't have to suffer with as bad an audience as we attended IP MAN 4 with. 🤨

• Like 2

Saw this when I was in Malaysia (theatrical) and loved it. It felt like a classic CNY comedy, but the action was a definite high point along with some of the comedy.

The modern 'evil Japanese' stereotype was a bit overplayed, IMO. But I'd recommend ETFD. Glad it doesn't have much in common with Sammo's film of the same title, since that's a classic. I'm happy that both films can stand alone and be counted as the unique works that they are.

• Like 5

i don't have the courage to watch it. if i found at least one good action scene it would be wasted on such a comedy. i don't understand why you don't take advantage of its (already big) age to make the last 2-3 films at Spl/Flashpoint and then close the store. or maybe that movie that's gonna bring him back into the orbit of his best movies is Raging Fire?

Edited by JackieRome
  • Like 1