Enter the Fat Dragon (2020) - Donnie Yen

DiP

23 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I agree with everyone's sentiments that Warner Brothers should dust off their print of ENTER THE FAT DRAGON and immediately release this Sammo Hung classic as a nice Blu-ray. "Hello... Warner Brothers? Are you listening?" :wondering

Agreed, companys usually like to re-issue the original, when a re-make appears. Maybe the Donnie Yne version, if its popular enough, will make them consider releasing it.

23 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Originally I wanted to be a filmmaker (horror and martial arts genres mainly) and specialize in special makeup FX. All different types of movie magic have always fascinated me (model work, matte painting, optical effects...), starting with Willis O'Brien's groundbreaking stop motion animation work on KING KONG (1933) and Ray Harryhausen's phenomenal work in the same field.

Tom Savinni and Rick Baker must be two of your heroes then?.

• Like 2

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Agreed, companys usually like to re-issue the original, when a re-make appears. Maybe the Donnie Yne version, if its popular enough, will make them consider releasing it.

Tom Savinni and Rick Baker must be two of your heroes then?.

Lets hope so!

Yes, of course. My top makeup FX artists are Dick Smith (TAXI DRIVER, THE GODFATHER, THE EXORCIST), Rick Baker (AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON, VIDEODROME, GREYSTOKE), Rob Bottin (THE HOWLING, THE THING, FIGHT CLUB), Stan Winston (THE TERMINATOR, PREDATOR, JURASSIC PARK), Tom Savini (DAWN OF THE DEAD, DAY OF THE DEAD, CREEPSHOW).

When I was 15 or 16 I met Savini at a horror movie convention. I was selling little sculptures of creatures and characters from genre films (with faux hair attached and real cloth outfits), and to my great surprise when I looked up at one of the people asking me questions, he and a very young Greg Nicotero (THE WALKING DEAD) were looking at my stuff, giving me great compliments, and wanting to purchase some! I was in a self-made Freddy Krueger makeup (the movie had just come out, and most people- though horrified at the sight of me- didn't even know the character), and already at least 6'1", so when I started telling him I was a huge fan and that I wanted to do makeup FX when I graduated from High School they were shocked that I was just a kid. I had my copy of Savini's book there with me and he signed it for me. Savini especially liked my sculpture of "Lizzy" from the TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE episode "INSIDE THE CLOSET" (which he directed), and he wanted to buy it. I couldn't believe someone that had inspired me, wanted to buy my silly little piece! I said "I only copied it off YOUR work! I couldn't possibly take your money. You can have it as a gift." But he insisted "Hey, you're an artist, and this is still your work. I have to pay for it. I want to put it on the mantle in my living-room." Cue my fanboy swoon. LOL :nerd: Sadly, he was leaving from there to fly somewhere, and he asked me if I had a way to safely wrap it for travel... I didn't. :sad: These sculptures were extremely fragile, and since it was the first time selling them, something decided on at the very last minute, and I was a clueless kid, I hadn't thought about an easy way for customers to get them home. They literally had to be held upright by someone for the car ride home! :itwasntme He was disappointed, but he encouraged me to keep up the work, and discreetly gave me his home number and said "Feel free to call if you ever need help or have any questions." He was sooooo nice! Then Nicotero said "Well I'm not flying anywhere, and I've got to get this!" pointing to a sculpt I did of Nathan's corpse from the "FATHER'S DAY" segment of CREEPSHOW. It was housed in a little red container, and was him rising up out of the grave. I wonder if he still has it somewhere?

I did call Savini a few times and he was always friendly and helpful. Many years later I got to hang out with him when he directed my sister as the female lead in a stage production of DRACULA.

I'm attaching a few (not very clear) photos of these sculpts I did as a kid, including the one Nicotero bought.

Holy smoke! Sorry my reminiscing has derailed the thread again people! :tongue: So... yeah... Donnie Yen... FAT DRAGON... :xd:

PROPHECY (1979)- My scuplt of the mutant bear- plasticine, model paints, fur..jpg

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK- Nazi meltdown.jpg

CHUD- 6' sculpted plasticine, modelpaints, real cloth wardrobe, Gelatin bloodgore (color adjusted).jpg

CREEPSHOW- FATHER'S DAY sculpture.jpg

FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 2- Jason Voorhees sculpt from plasticine, model paints, real cloth and hair.6' bust..jpg

• Like 5

ShaOW!linDude
8 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Holy smoke! Sorry my reminiscing has derailed the thread again people! :tongue:

I love stories like this.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk
13 minutes ago, DiP said:

Where did you get this? Looks like a teaser trailer is coming up.

I got it via Instagram. I don't actually know how the person got the footage though.

On 3/18/2018 at 11:53 PM, DiP said:

Synopsis of the movie. So there you have it folks, this is NOT a remake of Sammo's movie. 

https://www.screendaily.com/5127557.article

In the article, the movie Master of Ransom is mentioned. That sounds suspiciously like a remake of Kirk Wong's Crime Story, or at least dealing with similar material.

Could be the case. Wong Jing's intention is to bring those true-crime biopics that were popular in HK in the early 90s to the Mainland market. 

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1

Here's a sort-of Enter the Fat Dragon trailer from almost 3 months ago -

Donnie Yen could certainly look worse in that fat suit.  Fat Buddies. a comedy opening in China on September 30, 2018 has two actors who, playing "a pair of big-boned, bumbling cops," look absolutely terrible in their huge fat suits.  The movie stars Bao Bei'er and Wen Zhang, both good-looking Chinese actors.  I guess they decided to don fat suits due to news about Donnie Yen in Enter the Fat Dragon.  Fat Buddies trailer - 

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 2

Drunken Monk

Donnie Yen has shot a parody of his SPL fight with Wu Jing for this movie. This time, Philip Ng plays the Wu Jing role.

FBECE79A-CD83-4492-ADF3-9F1D35B31A99.jpeg

DE354ABC-3D50-48CE-B36E-C302930CAFF4.jpeg

F14C17B7-467C-47D5-ACB0-EEB7A9A86FBA.jpeg

• Like 3

An earlier post here suggested Sammo Hung making an appearance in the movie. Well, it was originally intended in a supporting role but the idea was scrapped and Wong Jing took the role instead.

Another thing that caught my attention is that Donnie is not only doing a parody of the alley fight in SPL: Kill Zone but also one of the final fight in Flash Point. I wonder who he's fighting for that one? Philip Ng again or someone else?

https://www.jaynestars.com/news/wong-jing-makes-acting-return-for-donnie-yen-in-enter-the-fat-dragon-remake/

http://hktopten.blogspot.com/2019/01/20180105-donnie-yen-pokes-fun-at-himself.html

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

On 1/5/2019 at 3:00 PM, DiP said:

An earlier post here suggested Sammo Hung making an appearance in the movie. Well, it was originally intended in a supporting role but the idea was scrapped and Wong Jing took the role instead.

Another thing that caught my attention is that Donnie is not only doing a parody of the alley fight in SPL: Kill Zone but also one of the final fight in Flash Point. I wonder who he's fighting for that one? Philip Ng again or someone else?

https://www.jaynestars.com/news/wong-jing-makes-acting-return-for-donnie-yen-in-enter-the-fat-dragon-remake/

http://hktopten.blogspot.com/2019/01/20180105-donnie-yen-pokes-fun-at-himself.html

It's Philip Ng

04fd8849e7c8f6b96d1d4add0a2ac34e.jpg

• Like 2

Well that looks... interesting. Obviously the action is going to be good, but I do wonder whether we've moved on from Sammo's very specific brand of playing on his weight for laughs, especially now Donnie's having to wear a fatsuit for the role. But who knows? The goofy charm may work over the whole film.

• Like 2

That's an impressive teaser. Very action heavy.I'm sure the final product is going to be a nice blend of both action and comedy but, so far, I'm excited.

• Like 2