Old school magic in the modern era.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Greetings,

What movies in the modern era of kung fu cinema were close too or maybe greater than the 'Old School Classics' we love.

So many of these modern KFM come up very short IMO.

Example:

Jackie Chan's

Legendary Amazons

Watched the first part before the women go to war. To me Jackie was trying too hard to have the look of the legendary Shaw classic that this was modeled after. It fell flat to me.

Anyway, a list of the best of the best that fit my request would be highly appreciated.

GD Y-Y

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer
5 hours ago, GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG said:

Example:

Jackie Chan's

Legendary Amazons

Watched the first part before the women go to war. To me Jackie was trying too hard to have the look of the legendary Shaw classic that this was modeled after.

Good to see you back GD Y-Y!  Jackie Chan was only involved in 'The Legendary Amazons' as a producer though, it was Frankie Chan who directed (as well as contributing to the script and action choreography).

Not sure there's many new movies that could top the golden oldies (pardon the pun), but for me 'Sword Master' captured the essence of the old Shaw Brother classics perfectly.  In terms of talking strictly about fight action, 'Ip Man' and 'Ip Man 3' were both top drawer stuff (I can't stand the 2nd).

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I Thank you both.

Thanks for the sentiment S. S .F. :)!

Now I will fine tune.

MOVIES after the year 2000.

GD Y-Y

1 hour ago, GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG said:

Now I will fine tune.

MOVIES after the year 2000.

Both Sword Master and The Final Master are post 2000.

There must be more titles than just the two suggested so far?.

The Sword Identity

The Final Master

Judge Archer

Ip Man

Ip Man 3

(The Hidden Sword - Xu Haofeng`s new movie) - (will assume it will be similar territory as Sword Identity, The Final Master and Judge Archer - the trailer seems to point in that direction)

The Hidden Sword was shown at the Montreal Film Festival in Canada on August 27, 2017 and at the Taipei (Taiwan) Golden Horse Film Festival on November 9th.  It received a good review here -

http://thecriticalcritics.com/reviews/movie-review-the-hidden-sword/

and what fan could resist that picture of Chen Kuan Tai in a martial arts pose?

It's been picked up for international distribution by Hong Kong-based Distribution Workshop. 

"The film is set in the 1930s when a special sword has helped the Chinese army win the war against Japan.  The old man who developed the sword tries to go into hiding with his family, when his martial techniques start to attract too much attention, but eventually the outside world starts to intrude."

Since Xu Haofeng's The Sword Identity, The Final Master, and Judge Archer, have all received DVD releases in the U.S. (one from Well Go USA, two from Lionsgate), I assume The Hidden Sword will also get a DVD release here.  Not sure if the Asian theatrical release is in late 2017 or early in 2018.  Trailer here - 

On 11/20/2017 at 9:40 AM, whitesnake said:

The Hidden Sword was shown at the Montreal Film Festival in Canada on August 27, 2017 and at the Taipei (Taiwan) Golden Horse Film Festival on November 9th.  It received a good review here -

http://thecriticalcritics.com/reviews/movie-review-the-hidden-sword/

and what fan could resist that picture of Chen Kuan Tai in a martial arts pose?

It's been picked up for international distribution by Hong Kong-based Distribution Workshop. 

"The film is set in the 1930s when a special sword has helped the Chinese army win the war against Japan.  The old man who developed the sword tries to go into hiding with his family, when his martial techniques start to attract too much attention, but eventually the outside world starts to intrude."

Since Xu Haofeng's The Sword Identity, The Final Master, and Judge Archer, have all received DVD releases in the U.S. (one from Well Go USA, two from Lionsgate), I assume The Hidden Sword will also get a DVD release here.  Not sure if the Asian theatrical release is in late 2017 or early in 2018.  Trailer here - 

Cool that it gets a good review. Though the dvd's of these look very good, all of them deserve blu-ray. Lionsgate should be slapped for their DVD only releases. I really hope they don't get access to any more of his films. Hell, the titles are available from iTunes. I picked the 2 DVD titles up on iTunes just to get them in HD.

Archived