Peppermint (2018) - A Female "John Wick"?

AlbertV

There is a new action film in development that is being described as a female John Wick-style story. The film was written by Chad St. John and it has been announced that Pierre Morel will be directing the film.

The film is about a woman who ends up in an incident that causes her to be a coma, but leaves her husband and daughter dead. Upon awakening, she spends the next years to become a lethal killing machine. On the 10th anniversary of her family's death, her quest for vengeance begins and she goes after everyone from the lawyers who let the killers go free to the corrupt cops who let the incidents occur, and the gang responsible.

It has been revealed today that Jennifer Garner is in talks to play the revenge seeking heroine in the film. Lionsgate was set to distribute the film for Lakeshore Entertainment but talks have fallen through. STX Entertainment is now in talks to pick up the film for distribution. STX will be releasing another revenge film this fall, Jackie Chan's The Foreigner.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/jennifer-garner-peppermint-revenge-thriller-stx-entertainment-lakeshore-pierre-morel-1202143910/

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would have been nice to see them hire a younger female talent, give them a chance shine. Charlize Theron was pretty much a female John Wick in the recent Atomic Blond movie. Just killing people for the goverment, rather than being a freelance killer.

4 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

It would have been nice to see them hire a younger female talent, give them a chance shine. Charlize Theron was pretty much a female John Wick in the recent Atomic Blond movie. Just killing people for the goverment, rather than being a freelance killer.

I actually find myself thinking the opposite. I love that Keanu's career was revitalized with "John Wick" and I hope Jennifer Garner gets the same chance. I like to see seemingly washed up performers get a second chance.

I'm, sadly, not convinced by this premise though and it's mainly due to the director. "District B13" was solid but he's been on a slippery slope since.

1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

I actually find myself thinking the opposite. I love that Keanu's career was revitalized with "John Wick" and I hope Jennifer Garner gets the same chance. I like to see seemingly washed up performers get a second chance.

I never saw these star as washed up, but I see what see what you mean.

We could just do with some fresh young action talent in Hollywood.

On 25/01/2018 at 6:43 PM, Drunken Monk said:

I'm, sadly, not convinced by this premise though and it's mainly due to the director. "District B13" was solid but he's been on a slippery slope since.

Me too, Jennifer Garner is a good actress, Alias, whilst maybe not the best showcase for her abilities, was nevertheless a ton of fun. As for Morel, I have to respectfully disagree with you there, compared to Luc Besson's other favourite director Olivier Megaton (I think we all have a consensus on how bad he is), Morel is a competent action director who knows how to film a good action scene (in fact the fight scene was the only good part of From Paris With Love) and The Gunman was a good old school back to basics action flick.

DragonClaws
On 5/31/2018 at 6:40 PM, Drunken Monk said:

Looks terrible...

Looks like the kinda of film Hollywood should have offered Cynthia Rothrock in the 90's.

DragonClaws

I've nothing against Jennifer Garnier, but there's a multitude of talented female action stars, working hard to get a break. This trialer might not grab a jaded action fan like me, but its nice to still see a Hollywood action film, that doesnt feature anyone with super powers.

Variety.com gives Peppermint a bad review here - https://variety.com/2018/film/reviews/peppermint-film-review-1202929343/ 

"This half-witted 'Taken' knock-off squanders a chance to give Jennifer Garner the action franchise she deserves... As a onetime Girl Scout den mother turned brass-knuckled avenging angel, Garner gives everything that is asked of her, from brute physicality to dewy-eyed tenderness, but this half-witted calamity botches just about everything else.  Drably by the numbers except for the moments where it goes gobsmackingly off the rails, 'Peppermint' misfires from start to finish...  You might reasonable expect the rest of the film to concern itself with Riley's years on the run, as she mourns her loved ones, trains to become a master of the deadly arts, tracks her family's killers through webs of underworld intrigue... Instead, 'Peppermint' makes sure to keep the meat of its heroine's journey largely offscreen... As usual, Garner displays an almost heroic refusal to smirk, sigh, or sleepwalk through any of this, never acting as though the material is beneath her, even when it's something she could be scraping off the bottom of her shoe.  But it's hard to say if the film would have necessarily been worse off if she let us know she's in on the joke, as 'Peppermint' is never more risible than in the moments it takes itself most seriously... Perhaps some viewers could ignore all that if  'Peppermint' delivered on the action front, but save for one slam-bang shootout in a piñata shop, there's a veneer of cheapness to the whole endeavor that keeps even the numbskull thrills from really connecting."     

Probably a skip for me too. The next female-led action movie Ill see in theatres will be Battle Angel Alita, or the new Girl With Dragon Tattoo if I get around to watching all the others first (highly doubtful). 

On 9/7/2018 at 5:20 AM, ShaOW!linDude said:

Yep. That's what I figured. Sorry, but I just never bought Garner as an action star.

Michelle Rodriguez would of been a better choice instead of Garner. 

Don't believe the bad reviews. This is a very entertaining revenge flick and has all the right ingredients. Also Garner is very believable and has a strong performance at least in this humble viewers opinion :tongueout This is way better than recent efforts in the genre (I'm looking at you Death Wish). Highly recommended!

Archived