Attrition (2018) Steven Seagal, Fan Siu-Wong, Yu Kang

DragonClaws

16 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

The fight is in the rain like "The Grandmaster" and, apparently, Seagal has been learning some Wing Chun. Call me a curmudgeon but I don't think it's coincidence.

lets just hope it aint  copied anything else out of grandmaster as it would  be a new low even for seagal. 

Drunken Monk
41 minutes ago, robbie said:

lets just hope it aint  copied anything else out of grandmaster as it would  be a new low even for seagal. 

Now you're just trolling, mate.

New details on the release dates for Attrition have been announced over at the ActionElte.Com, for some reason I cant post a link to that site?.

The movie been given the more generic Final Mission for it's Scandinavia VOD release, which is more in line with other Seagal DTV flicks of the past fifteen year's.

Cover_final-mission_website.png

• Like 1

What's the sense of having this exclusive streaming BS (365flix.com). Only to sign up and find out you can't watch the damn thing :doh Lame!

No luck today, sorry about that!

The content you are trying to access is not available in your country.

Way to go!... To piss your fans off. I won't be buying it after all I guess.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, laagi said:

What's the sense of having this exclusive streaming BS (365flix.com). Only to sign up and find out you can't watch the damn thing :doh Lame! 

Wasnt the film only released on Scandinavian VOD for now?. With the recent allegations against Seagal and Bey Logan, they might be testing the water,s by releasing it in a smaller market. Or that country might just be a good market, even for Seagals DTV fodder.

Never heard of this 365flix.Com?.

46 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Thanks for that @laagi, sure services such as Amazon and NetFlix will be snapping this up at somepoint?. For those who enjoy streaming services.

It looks like they will try to keep this (for the time being) exclusive to 365flix. Which sucks to be honest! Even the DVD and/or Blu-Ray can only be pre-ordered thru their website.

Edited by laagi

23 hours ago, laagi said:

It looks like they will try to keep this (for the time being) exclusive to 365flix. Which sucks to be honest! Even the DVD and/or Blu-Ray can only be pre-ordered thru their website.

The fact you have to sign up to multiple VOD sites, in order to get access to the few shows and films you want, is a joke, and I can only see the situation getting worse. Prefer just paying for the entertianment I choose to watch, rather than having to pay for a heap of stuff I wont ever watch, just so I can access an exclusive show or movie. Though its a fantasitc way, for companies to view your personal viewing habits, which show and films you watch the most, and at what times etc. Then talior their content, to their audience, depending on what gets the most views. The internet has its positives, privacy doesnt seem to be one of them though, off topic rant over.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

@DragonClaws I feel you believe me. But nowadays you're being forced into so much stuff you don't want to... Don't get me started.

As a sidenote and for anyone who's interested. I reached out to 365flix and received the following reply.

I am so sorry for your very understandable frustration! We should be releasing in "..." by the end of the year. For legal reasons having to do with the distribution deals already made prior to filming the project, we have to phase our online distribution of the product.

So you might want to double check before you sign up if it's actually available in your country. Also won't make much sense at least for me. Since the DVD or Blu-Ray will be released by Mid-November.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, laagi said:

@DragonClaws I feel you believe me. But nowadays you're being forced into so much stuff you don't want to... Don't get me started.

I could go on about forever too, we shop online, share everything on FB, book gig tickets online, now with the added perk of what they refer to as a booking fee. Which is actually just a legal way of making money from people,money that neither the band or venue get to see lol, sounds far out buts its true.

Jesus, I only now realized Rudy Youngblood is in this. Talk about a fall from grace. He was great in Apocalypto and now he's doing Seagal movies. Poor bastard.

• Like 2

I dont know what to say...but the film starts like the last 20 films him being in a Special Squad takin out terrorists/Gangster/Kidnappers etc

after that he lives in Thailand (Maybe suppose to be China but its filmed in Thailand) anyway they speak chinese/mandarin...

Seagal makes out of himself a mix of wong fei hung/yip man ...they take bits from the grandmaster,ip man and a bit of wong fei hung..hes trying very hard to come across

like a grandmaster who is wise and humble….but oh well… to me its totally ridiculous..BUT..the film is much better than the usual crap from Steven Seagal...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Frank Bolte said:

I dont know what to say...but the film starts like the last 20 films him being in a Special Squad takin out terrorists/Gangster/Kidnappers etc

after that he lives in Thailand (Maybe suppose to be China but its filmed in Thailand) anyway they speak chinese/mandarin...

Seagal makes out of himself a mix of wong fei hung/yip man ...they take bits from the grandmaster,ip man and a bit of wong fei hung..hes trying very hard to come across

like a grandmaster who is wise and humble….but oh well… to me its totally ridiculous..BUT..the film is much better than the usual crap from Steven Seagal...

Why is this a perfect description of Seagal's persona and self-image :rofl

• Like 2

It's kinda hard to describe this movie.

I can't say it's a great MA film and I can't call it a total crap either. For the first hour it's a typical low budget Seagal crap. A former special forces vet is living somewhere in South east Asia, treating locals with acupuncture, occasionally dropping few words of Wisdom and humbly playing a role of a semi God.

To keep a viewer from falling asleep, there are few little bits of fighting where Seagal's body double punishes bad or not-so-good guys.

Up to the last 20 minutes I was kept wondering why I'm watching that ridiculous excuse for a movie. I was a huge Seagal's fan back in the day so, I guess that's why.

Anyway, in the last few minutes the movie explodes with action. Not superb, but quite decent, maybe unnecessary  gory(although I like it like that).  Siu-Wong Fan has a decent fight, shootouts are very good, lots of CGI and practical blood fx. It maybe lasts 10-12 minutes total, but it's better than any Seagals movie in a decade

Few notes. Seagal, who now has a Russian citizenship has a Russian buddy in the movie, some Russian can be heard. There's some nudity, just to attract more male fans. I welcomed the use of CGI blood after kicks and punches, although it maybe a bit distracting. There's a quite original, shown in reverse scene, very unusual for that kind of movie (I mean a cheap seagal action film). The most ridiculous thing was Seagal listening to somebody speaking Mandarin and replying in English

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, D1 Ma said:

There's some nudity, just to attract more male fans.

I thought it was in Seagals contract, for any movie he mad in the last eighteen year's, that there's at least one strip club scene, featuring him in it.

Few decent fights here and there with Louis Fan giving the best performance. Not suprisingly most fights feature Seagals stunt double and not himself. At times nice cinematography. The problem for me is that it's a mess of different tones and ideas shifting back and forth. Also some really akward "design choices". The movie is clearly shot on location in Thailand but for some reason everybody speaks mandarin and english!? Also some of the nudity (which I'm the last one to complain about) is out of place.

Seagal once again proves that he himself is still his biggest fan. I don't mind his babbling about wisdom this and wisdom that. Hell maybe some of it even makes sense. But it's just ridiculous because his character is pretty much doing the opposite of said things. Word of advice Steven look at Van Damme's recent effort in "The Bouncer". Maybe it's time for some real self-reflection :rofl

• Like 2

Hm, at first i thought this rly looks intresting ! 😕 But after your comments i feel a bit sad now. *sigh* Where are the good MA movies these days ?!

• Like 1

I saw it. It was good. The fights was good to me, despite his double being there in nearly every fight scene. In my opinion it's his best since Absolution from 2015'

• Like 1

On 12/18/2018 at 11:51 PM, LoBo said:

I saw it. It was good. The fights was good to me, despite his double being there in nearly every fight scene. In my opinion it's his best since Absolution from 2015'

Glad you enjoyed it! I really tried but there's just too many things I couldn't get over. Never seen Absolution... Maybe something to seek out!?

• Like 1

On 12/18/2018 at 10:51 PM, LoBo said:

In my opinion it's his best since Absolution from 2015'

It doesnt bode well, if its the best thing he's done since Absolution, how does it rate wth his more well known films?.

It's funny how he's ended up being doubled so much, I always felt his style of Martial Art's, would be easier to perform on screen, then say Jackie Chans stunt laden work. Or Van Dammes much more ahtletic, and energetic film combat style. With Aikido being more about using your opponent's weight against them.

Imgine how Sammo Hung, Jackie Chan would have choreographed the pool hall scene in Out For Justice(1990).

6 hours ago, laagi said:

Glad you enjoyed it! I really tried but there's just too many things I couldn't get over. Never seen Absolution... Maybe something to seek out!?

Yes, it's good. If you like his other straight to DVD films.

Of course his early 90's films are best, but these two films I will continue to re watch again

Edited by LoBo
  • Like 1