Andy Lau and Louis Koo are in everything?

chenzen

So I notice as a longtime  fan of Hong Kong cinema in General Louis Koo and Andy Lau use to mostly play second or third tier characters in films during the 1990's and early 2000's. It seems the last 5 years or so they star in a lead role  in nearly every major film in the territory. I also notice they appear in quite a few mainland movies. Does anyone else notice this? and if anyone does why do you think two middle age actors became so popular this late into their careers?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, chenzen said:

So I notice as a longtime  fan of Hong Kong cinema in General Louis Koo and Andy Lau use to mostly play second or third tier characters in films during the 1990's and early 2000's. It seems the last 5 years or so they star in a lead role  in nearly every major film in the territory. I also notice they appear in quite a few mainland movies. Does anyone else notice this? and if anyone does why do you think two middle age actors became so popular this late into their careers?

I wouldn't say that Andy Lau have been playing 2nd & 3rd tier character in the 19902 & early 2000's nor being popular that late in his career. It would seems so as he have appeared in a LOT of movies during that time period but during the same time period he also appeared as the lead where he have either won or was nominated for the best actor award - As Tears Goes By, Boat People, Lee Rock, Full Throttle, Running Out Of Time, Running On Karma, A Fighter's Blues, A World Without Thieves, Infernal Affairs.

Andy Lau is one of the Four Heavenly Kings (a term created in 1992 to refer to the four biggest male entertainment starts in HK). He is also in the Guinness World Record for most awards won by a Cantopop male artist; I think that he have won about 300 awards.

One person who have been in more movies than both Louis Koo & Andy Lau is Simon Yam

Apparently I haven't seen as many Andy Lau movies as I should have lol. I totally forgot about Simon Yam. You are right that guy is literally in everything or damn near everything.

The industry is reliant on veterans as new talents still have a long way to go as far as exposition and experience go. This was not the case nearly 4 decades ago where everyone got chances without having to wait for so long.

You're right. But sometimes I wonder if they're in everything or if they are in every movies that we know in the west. Recently, now that I can decently understand mandarin, I have discovered many many movies without both of them, like I noticed on the Chinesemov website. But they are awesome actors in my book, and they resisted to the appealing Hollywood industry, which is cool.

galvatron1976
On 8/5/2017 at 6:36 AM, thekfc said:

I wouldn't say that Andy Lau have been playing 2nd & 3rd tier character in the 19902 & early 2000's nor being popular that late in his career. It would seems so as he have appeared in a LOT of movies during that time period but during the same time period he also appeared as the lead where he have either won or was nominated for the best actor award - As Tears Goes By, Boat People, Lee Rock, Full Throttle, Running Out Of Time, Running On Karma, A Fighter's Blues, A World Without Thieves, Infernal Affairs.

Andy Lau is one of the Four Heavenly Kings (a term created in 1992 to refer to the four biggest male entertainment starts in HK). He is also in the Guinness World Record for most awards won by a Cantopop male artist; I think that he have won about 300 awards.

One person who have been in more movies than both Louis Koo & Andy Lau is Simon Yam

Andy Lau also one of the Five Tigers (五虎) (a term created to refer to the five biggest TVB actor  during 1980an) .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Tiger_Generals_of_TVB

Four Heavenly Kings except Jacky Cheung ,also start the carrier as actor in TVB .

I think Andy, Louis, and Simon have a sense of versatility that enables to them to tackle any kind of role and for me, that's a big plus.

One of my favorite Hong Kong films from the 90's is Century of the Dragon, in which Andy plays a Triad leader with Louis as an undercover cop within Lau's organization.

Archived