The Best "Seasonal Formula" Films

DrNgor

I fear lest I've arrived at a point that I've seen so many kung fu comedies, especially those that were directly inspired by the success of Snake in the Eagle's Shadow and The Drunken Master, that there are no more good ones left. I now consult with the collective to prove me wrong and give me some recommendations. Let me list those that I've seen so far (and how I place them):

The Good:

Hell's Wind Staff
Knockabout
Magnificent Butcher
Hitman in the Hand of Buddha
Daggers 8
Drunken Tai Chi
The Odd Couple
Dance of the Drunk Mantis
Seven Steps of Kung Fu
World of the Drunken Master
Magnificent Ruffians
Long Step Mantis
Two Fists Against the Law
Fearless Hyena
Young Master
Deadly Challenger
Mystery of Chessboxing
Stroke of Death
Warriors Two
Ninja in the Dragon's Den
Spiritual Kung Fu
Dirty Ho

The Average->Not-So-Good:

Buddha Assassinator
Kung Fu Rebels
Drunken Master, Slippery Snake
Crystal Fist
Dreadnaught (mileage will obviously vary)
Kung fu of 8 Drunkards
Story of the Drunken Master
Shaolin Drunk Monk
Shaolin Drunk Fighter
Drunken Marts and Crippled Fist
Snake Fist Fighter
Duel of 7 Tigers
37 Plots of Kung Fu
Lackey and the Lady Tiger
Goose Boxer
Fearless Hyena 2
Half a Loaf of Kung Fu
Return to the 36th Chamber
Mad Monkey Kung Fu

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DragonClaws
On 04/08/2017 at 4:27 PM, DrNgor said:

Spiritual Kung Fu

Dont quote me on this, but I think this was actually made pre-Drunken Master/Snake In The Eagles Shadow. The film may have been released theatrically, after these two movies. Seem to recall reading that Lo Wei held this movie back, becuase he wasn't happy with it?. Or it may have been Half A Loaf Of Kung Fu that he shelved?. Need to re-read the Essential JC Source Book to verify which one it is.

@DrNgor have you watched 36 Deadly Styles?, and if so would you class it as a Seasonal Formula movie?. Got an old copy of this lying around, might be time to give it a re-watch?.

7 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Dont quote me on this, but I think this was actually made pre-Drunken Master/Snake In The Eagles Shadow. The film may have been released theatrically, after these two movies. Seem to recall reading that Lo Wei held this movie back, becuase he wasn't happy with it?. Or it may have been Half A Loaf Of Kung Fu that he shelved?. Need to re-read the Essential JC Source Book to verify which one it is.

You're right. I included it in the list mainly because it was a kung fu comedy and the story fit the mold, even though it preceded those classics. It was Half a Loaf of Kung Fu that was shelved because Lo Wei didn't like the end result. Spiritual Kung Fu took a while to release because Lo Wei had run out of money.

I haven't seen the 36 Deadly Styles yet. I think I saw the finale, where they used burning piles of hay against Legendary Superkicker Hwang Jang Lee. Right?

Omni Dragon

The Thundering Mantis, Sleeping Fist, Death Duel of Mantis and Monkey Fist Floating Snake come to mind though it has been a while since I've seen them.

Also I feel like most of the shapes that a member(s) of the Yuen family where involved with from Snake in the Eagle's Shadow (1978)-The Young Taoism Fighter (1986) have a similar style.

Of course you've already mentioned some with Yuen family involvement but there's also The Buddhist Fist, I actually watched this one recently and thought how things seemed similar to Drunken Master and Magnificent Butcher, then remembered all 3 where directed by Yuen Woo Ping.

There's also The Miracle Fighters series (The Miracle Fighters, Shaolin Drunkard, Taoism Drunkard and The Young Taoism Fighter) however there incredibly zany (Which at hated them for at first but then I ended up liking them a lot for what they are). Maybe Shaolin Drunkard matches what you're looking for most out of The Miracle Fighters series.

The Yuen's where also involved with The Six Directions Boxing and Duel of the Masters aka Gods of Wu Tang but I've never seen them so I can't say if they would match what you're looking for.

10 minutes ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

There's also The Miracle Fighters series (The Miracle Fighters, Shaolin Drunkard, Taoism Drunkard and The Young Taoism Fighter) however there incredibly zany (Which at hated them for at first but then I ended up liking them a lot for what they are). Maybe Shaolin Drunkard matches what you're looking for most out of The Miracle Fighters series.

I've seen those four movies, and I don't *quite* count them as using the Seasonal formula, because they involve magic/sorcery and don't always include the "training in a new style to defeat the villain" trope. But they are very good films, no doubt about it.

12 minutes ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

The Thundering Mantis, Sleeping Fist, Death Duel of Mantis and Monkey Fist Floating Snake come to mind though it has been a while since I've seen them.

Okay, I'll be sure to watch those the next time I prepare to watch Snake in the Eagle's Shadow.

Thanks!

DragonClaws
20 hours ago, DrNgor said:

You're right. I included it in the list mainly because it was a kung fu comedy and the story fit the mold, even though it preceded those classics. It was Half a Loaf of Kung Fu that was shelved because Lo Wei didn't like the end result. Spiritual Kung Fu took a while to release because Lo Wei had run out of money.

Thanks for clarifing this DrNgor, don't have my opy of the JC Sourcebook handy at the moment.

20 hours ago, DrNgor said:

I haven't seen the 36 Deadly Styles yet. I think I saw the finale, where they used burning piles of hay against Legendary Superkicker Hwang Jang Lee. Right?

I think that's what happens in the finale, sometime since I watched it.

DragonClaws
18 minutes ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

Yet to see Monkey Fist Flaoting Snake, but Death Duel Of Mantis and Thundering Mantis I'd recommended, especially the latter.

Sleeping Fist is not a must see in my opinion, but worth seeing if you are Leung Kar Yan fan, also features one of the few performances from super talent Wong Yat-ung.

Omni Dragon

Maybe:

The Incredible Kung Fu Master
Of Cooks and Kung Fu
Fists, Kicks, and the Evils
Filthy Guy
Shaolin vs Lama

2 minutes ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

Maybe:

The Incredible Kung Fu Master
Of Cooks and Kung Fu
Fists, Kicks, and the Evils
Filthy Guy
Shaolin vs Lama

I saw parts of Fists, Kicks and the Evils on Youtube and wasn't very impressed with it. I was wondering if Shaolin vs. Lama would count, beyond some of the early scenes with the dirty old monk, much of the fighting is played seriously, isn't it?

Omni Dragon
11 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Yet to see Monkey Fist Flaoting Snake

While not the best shape, it's probably one of the better shapes that doesn't seem to be mention often.

It was good enough for me to take and watch on holiday at least.

It was also good enough for me to want to put this together in 2011:

10 hours ago, DrNgor said:

I saw parts of Fists, Kicks and the Evils on Youtube and wasn't very impressed with it. I was wondering if Shaolin vs. Lama would count, beyond some of the early scenes with the dirty old monk, much of the fighting is played seriously, isn't it?

Yeah, I admit I was just throwing names out. The Incredible Kung Fu Master and Of Cooks And Kung Fu are solid contenders from what I remember though. 

As for Shaolin vs. Lama most of the first 25-30 minutes is of a less serious tone, and later there's some silly moments in the training scenes, and most of the William Yen screen time is devoted to him being the silly/foolish best friend of the hero. That said from what I remember the movie overall is of a serious tone, so it probably falls outside of what you are calling the "Seasonal Formula".

DragonClaws
On 05/08/2017 at 7:18 PM, DrNgor said:

Just picked up my old DVD copy of this from my parents house, hope to give it the full review treatment in the next few weeks.

Archived