Death Wish (2017) - Bruce Willis, Vincent D'Onofrio, Elisabeth Shue, Camila Morrone

AlbertV

Bruce Willis is the new Paul Kersey; the setting is Chicago; and the director is Eli Roth. The film comes out November 20.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 1

OpiumKungFuCracker

Well, I've seen bits and pieces of the original and haven't seen any of the sequels so I guess this has my interest? 

DragonClaws
8 minutes ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Well, I've seen bits and pieces of the original and haven't seen any of the sequels so I guess this has my interest? 

You need to order a copy of the Death Wish box-set ASAP @OpiumKungFuCracker.

Not sure what to make of the re-boot, Death Wish 2 was pretty much a more over the top, re-boot of the 1971 movie with the same star and director.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
7 minutes ago, Karlos said:

Death Wish 3 is pure, unbridled, Cannon awesomeness.

Love one of the scenes involving a home made trap.

Old Man-"What are those?"

Kersey- "Teeth" (holds up a plank with teeth embedded in them)

• Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker
On 8/3/2017 at 10:37 AM, DragonClaws said:

You need to order a copy of the Death Wish box-set ASAP @OpiumKungFuCracker.

Not sure what to make of the re-boot, Death Wish 2 was pretty much a more over the top, re-boot of the 1971 movie with the same star and director.

I need to get it. Does it have the uncut versions of the film I've been hearing about? Those I want.

DragonClaws
On 04/08/2017 at 4:50 PM, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

I need to get it. Does it have the uncut versions of the film I've been hearing about? Those I want.

The only box-set I know of, is the British one with all five movies. Part 2 will cut in that set however, because the British print reduces the assualt on the two female characters.

This trailer is weird to me.

1 - Music choice - "Back in Black" from Ac/Dc. Well let's remember that in the first one the soundtrack was by Herbie Hancock & Jimmy Page for the sequel and the third. Totally different style.

2 - The plot seems to be very similar to the first one (regarding that matter, only Wendell Mayes is credited in the trailer, no Winner, and he adapted a novel by Brian Garfield, but it seems to be more like an action movie. In the first original movie there are not so much gunfights, Bronson's strong & silent style is enough.

3 - The script  seems to dig deeply in Kersey's personality (Kersey at the shrink ?). But in my book, Kersey (Bronson's) was the symbol of some kind of justice not a depressed old man. But the idea of a smiling vigilante Willis is refreshing on screen, I thought.

4 - And like @DragonClaws wrote, the second and third are already reboot, sequel, and, regarding the third, kind of a parody movie, aren't they ? I don't mention the fourth and fifth movies (I love both of them), they're not by Michael Winner, so they are another stories.

Well, wait and see (or not).

For those who are interested in the first movies, they are released uncut on blu and a fantastic book by Paul Talbot about the movies is available.

Edited by Rodolphe Dux
Spelling Mistakes
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Rodolphe Dux said:

4 - And like @DragonClaws wrote, the second and third are already reboot, sequel, and, regarding the third, kind of a parody movie, aren't they ? I don't mention the fourth and fifth movies (I love both of them), they're not by Michael Winner, so they are another stories.

Charles Bronson was a legitmiate tough guy in real life, which helped a lot with his screen persona. Never read the books, but from reading comments I gather Kersey was different to the screen version?.

Would guys like Willis and Stallone etc still be kicking ass in cinemas today, if it wasnt for Lee Marvin, John Wayne, Charles Bronson and Burt Lancaster paving the way as aged heroes?.

Far from the best in the series, and the trialer pretty much sums up this installment.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Charles Bronson was a legitmiate tough guy in real life, which helped a lot with his screen persona. Never read the books, but from reading comments I gather Kersey was different to the screen version?.

Would guys like Willis and Stallone etc still be kicking ass in cinemas today, if it wasnt for Lee Marvin, John Wayne, Charles Bronson and Burt Lancaster paving the way as aged heroes?.

Far from the best in the series, and the trialer pretty much sums up this installment.

You have a point, many actors in the 70's and 80's  were awesome in their old days, so why Willis can't do the same after all?. And, after a second watch, that's what I like in the trailer, a strong and relaxed Willis as vigilante. That can really be good. On the bad side, the hoody style of Kersey is no comparison with the original Kersey style, and it really seems to be another action movies. What I like in the original movie was the experience of diving in the New York underground with the Hancock soundtrack. I'm afraid that feeling will be missing in that version.

Brian Garfield was not satisfied with the movie, because it relies too much on Bronson charisma, not on the character behaviour. After all Kersey is Bronson, and the opposite is probably true.

Regarding the fourth and the fifth, they're weaker movies (The fourth is by J Lee Thompson is quite good I think), but they're still relying on Bronson charisma, so that can't fail totally :). And the fifth is produced by only Golan, so there is still a Cannon spirit in it, even in 94. The script was good to me, the directing could be better but that's ok.

Well, I'm confident with aged Willis, but not with Roth I have to confess...

Edited by Rodolphe Dux
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Rodolphe Dux said:

the hoody style of Kersey is no comparison with the original Kersey style, and it really seems to be another action movies.

I know what you mean, guess there just bringing it into the 21st Century and giving him a more modern look. With a hoody the character blends into the eniroment more, he doesnt stand out the way he would garbed in 70'sstyle clothes.

• Like 2

Catched this at the cinema yesterday. Not really a big Bruce Willis fan but my friend and the trailer convinced me... I guess. I went into this movie fairly open minded, never watched the original, nor have I ever read the novel on which both movies are based on. Also I tried to avoid any reviews beforehand, although I did catch a glimpse which seem to part critics which generally bashed the movie and audiences which were more positive or forgiving, be that as it may. 

The story is fairly simple and has probably been told countless times before. A average "good" guy loses something he loves and after feeling let down by the law takes matters into his own bloody hands. What sets this movie apart from others is the recent tragic events and once again countless discussions and headlines regarding gun control. It's obvious the movie tries to tackle this topic but doesn't clearly know what its message is. And without getting further into politics, either side of the subject matter will see their opinion confirmed. Which I would argue is the case in most movies which tackle such and other subjects.

Now that's out of the way we're left with a silly plot which seems to entirely unwrap the story by coincidence. A protagonist who doesn't get any emotions or sympathy across. A laughable supporting cast with the law enforcment leading the way. Substandard action and one or two scenes of Eli Roth style gore.

So even in terms of pure entertainment a below average achievement. I wouldn't recommend it, if you can't resist wait for a home video release.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 1

Watched it the first time today. The action and violence was pure fun, and the underlying message was engrossing (yet predictable). But everything else was underwhelming. Bruce Willis' character was too calm for someone's who experiencing tragedy and trauma after losing a wife, his performance needed more *omph*. Overall, it's a decent action movie from 2018, to say the least, but it's something you could watch and just forget after. Now, it's time to watch the original 1974 movie.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3